Moving to Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Penny

Moving to Sydenham

Post by Penny »

Hello everybody,

My partner and I are looking to move to Sydenham. We live in North London at the moment and the flats here are tiny and unaffordable. After viewing a few properties in South East London, we decided Sydenham was for us! We nearly bought a flat in Newlands Park but at the last minute the seller decided not to sell so we are back to looking for flats.

We just don't know the area very well and don't know what streets are good. The flats we re interested in are around Mayow Park (Niederwald Road and Highclere Street). Could you please tell us if these areas are OK? The price range is much higher in the streets around the overground station so we're a bit worried to go for the wrong areas? (a house in Highclere sells for the same price as a flat around Sydenham station). Also someone told us that we should not go for a flat located after Sunnydene Street and Highclere Street is the one after that.

If you could tell me what you think that would be great. Our top priority is of course safety and I wonder how I would feel walking from the station at night through these streets. Your advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Penny
Bazman76

Re: Moving to Sydenham

Post by Bazman76 »

Hi there,

I made the same move (via Blackheath) a couple of years ago and don't regret it one bit.

I also lived in Mayow Road when I first moved to London, I never had any problems or even saw any trouble when I was there, but Mayow Park does have a reputation for drugs.

In general the upper Sydenham is prolly a bit nicer than lower (imho) but then I live at the top of Westwood Hill so perhaps I am biased.

The advantages as I see it, you have lovely views across London, Crystal Palace park right behind you, and Dulwich Wood 5 mins away. Also you are are within a 10 min walk of Sydenham and Crystal Palace and 20 min walk of Dulwich but you are paying Sydenham prices.

Good luck with your search.
coldand

Post by coldand »

hi penny yourmaking a good choice in coming to sydenham,its ready to take off here,ive lived here all my life, (47 now) :( . for a london borough imust say i dont think you can beat it,affordability, safeness,crime,excellent transport links,parks.clean streets. surronding areas good night life and vibrancy, i would advise you to keep to the upper part of sydenham,i would also consider paying more to do so.you could always pm me for more advise hope this helps.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I live on Mayow Road very near the park and have never had any trouble related to the park.

With regards to area - if you are looking at streets that run off Mayow Road, towards Perry Rise, you'll be fine. East of Sunnydene Street when you are BELOW Burghill Road is definitely Lower Sydenham and not as desirable. But above Burghill Road, all the way east to Perry Rise is (in my opinion) very nice.

The further east you go, the further you are from an Overground station, which is why those flats are so much cheaper. Where we are is a ten minute walk to either Sydenham or Forest Hill stations.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

We live on one of the streets you mention, we love it down in 'Lower Sydenham'. We, like you couldn't afford to be up the hill but find the area fine. Lovely walk to the station too down the back streets Bishopsthorpe Road etc, quiet and a good head clearer in the morning.

I think there's a certain amount of us and them made between those living in 'upper' Sydenham and us 'lowers'. We love it feel safe and find the Neighborhood very friendly. Being near Istanbul an amazing Turkish supermarket is also a bonus.

PM me if you want to chat further or want any specifics.

Cheers

G-Man

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

What about those of us who are neither Upper nor Lower, and moreover live on the border between SE23 and SE26? I think we are probably Switzerland.

Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

hey there,

Like I say I lived on Mayow road and always found it to be very nice, never felt threatened in any way but I was told the park was a haven for drug taking at night, this is just hear say I suppose.

There was this headline that stuck in my mind too:

http://www.murdermap.co.uk/pages/news/i ... NewsID=291
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That murder was a very isolated case - an argument between some men sharing a rented house.

There may well be drug taking in the park - but whatever happens in there at night hasn't affected us. Which is probably the best we can hope for!

JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Although I have just moved away from Upper Sydenham, the fact that I am still in Upper Norwood (albeit the other side of Crystal Palace) is testament to the general quality of the area.

Sydenham is smack bang in the middle of several good places for what I call "early-middle aged nights out, aka drinks and meal" - Crystal Palace, Dulwich and Beckenham, and Forest Hill seems pretty good for pubs these days too.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

I’ve lived at the bottom of Burghill with wife and baby for 5 years and think its fine. Admittedly the highstreet is not as nice at this end of SE26. St Michael’s is def one of the better primary schools in the area as well.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

We initially looked at a flat on Mayow Road but decided there was too much noise from the traffic that race’s past.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Double glazing on Mayow Road is a must!

Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hi there,
My 10p's worth is that Upper Sydenham is really nice as an option if you don't mind the hill (I see it as a cheaper option than a gym). Views are great and it seems a bit quieter than the main bit of Sydenham, if that suits your requirements.
Baxter Field is a little gem of a park as is the more popular Wells Park and Sydenham/ Dulwich Wood is only a quick stroll away.
Forest Hill and Sydenham stations are equidistant and both routes are well lit. Sydenham Hill station also becomes an option if you live up the hill but, you're rewarded by the Dulwich Wood House at the summit.
I may be wrong (and I should just consult a map before writing this...) but, there seems to be a lot of cul-de-sacs up the hill so, less rat-running and definitely a lack of commuters parking during the days. I see that as a Brucie Bonus, personally.

Whichever bit you choose, I hope you enjoy SE26.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

JeeBee wrote: Sydenham is smack bang in the middle of several good places for what I call "early-middle aged nights out, aka drinks and meal" -
Interestingly ageist approach. What sort of nights out do late-middle aged people like? (I'm afraid I've forgotten, too long ago.)
Penny

Post by Penny »

Thank you so much for your replies (just saw them now) and advice. It's always a good thing to ask the locals and this website is great and makes it very easy. I think I am still a little bit confused as to if the flat on Niederwald road is worth the money (it is for sale at the same price as flats around the station) or if I should wait for something a bit more expensive but closer to the station. I guess it's all down to safety when I get back home alone after dark.

I will definitely come back here if I have more questions!!

Thanks a lot
tjc

Post by tjc »

I live on Highclere Street and it's a great road to live on, quiet, friendly and nice houses. Houses sell very quickly on the road.

Sydenham seems to be getting better as well. I believe the 2 halves is going to become a nice pub and lots of building seems to be going on.
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Do you know who is taking the twl halves?
simon

Post by simon »

Antic have been mentioned but we have learned to treat their intentions with scepticism.
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Well I really hope it is them!