WHAT IF 16: EMPTY SHOPS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

WHAT IF 16: EMPTY SHOPS

Post by leenewham »

This is a little different to the others we have done.
This building used to be the old station before the original platform was moved and the building eventually knocked down.

It's a shame it's been so neglected.

But What if:

Kirkdale Books is just 2 doors away.

We toyed with the idea of making it of actual books, but it's not that practical and in my heart I hate the idea of the books not being read. It's also cheaper and simpler to make a large format print over some Mellotex or marine ply so it becomes a decorative work.

http://whatifsydenham.wordpress.com/201 ... pty-shops/

Another one coming soon.
leenewham

Re: WHAT IF 16: EMPTY SHOPS

Post by leenewham »

I forgot to add, we were going to have some fun with the book titles, any suggestions for witty book titles please add them below.
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

I love the colours of the books. That would certainly cheer me up on my way to the station.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Maria

Post by Maria »

Absolutely stunning!
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Nice Work!
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thats good Lee,
You could have the famous people of Sydenham as the titles,also residents could pay say £5.00 for the pleasure of their names on the binders,money could go to charity,or on something for sydenham?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Nice idea Annie, keep them coming. There is another idea for this building coming soon and another for the Two Halfs.
dmhawk

Post by dmhawk »

Very very cool. I like Annie's suggestion too. Maybe you could get some local kids involved. Where I grew up there was a community built playground and the kids of families that donated got to paint their own tiles for a ceramic wall http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jD5_8eCPrHg/S ... -EG-10.jpg I've found an image of it here, obviously different from what you're going for. But, I like the idea of community involvement nonetheless!
Annie

Post by Annie »

Annie wrote:Thats good Lee,
You could have the famous people of Sydenham as the titles,also residents could pay say £5.00 for the pleasure of their names on the binders,money could go to charity,or on something for sydenham?

The children of Sydenham getting involved would be good, we have so many schools around here,
supply them with a "sticky binder label" and let them write their names on it and then stick it to the advertising board. add the cost of the labels into the cost of doing it and charge whatever is a reasonable rate (£1) etc etc.