Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Re: Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by ALIB »

There has obviously been a great mistake/communication breakdown made somewhere, and it would be easier for parties to take responsibility and to formulate an amicable way out of this.
Last edited by ALIB on 15 Apr 2012 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Have you all seen Chris Best's post here:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 830#p59811?

The developers HAVE knocked down everything except the front wall, but they WILL be required to rebuild using the original windows, bricks etc, which have been saved. And, perhaps most interesting, a company HAS been secured to take over the pub when it is ready. Don't know who yet. Speculation begins in 3...2...1...
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

SE26bloke wrote:
I''ll stand by what I said before - if this building (or what's left of it) ever sees light of day as a pub I'll eat my pants.
STOP PRESS

Could there be a grand opening where we can all watch laugh and point as SE26bloke eats his pants?!?

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7641

Here's hoping so!!!

G-man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I likewise hope to be proved wrong and wait to see what Pub opens and how the reconstruction goes.
Search East

Post by Search East »

This is very positive news after all the fears and suspicion about the future of the Greyhound Pub.

G-Man, how about bake an underpants shaped cake and eat it on the grand opening day of the new pub?! :D
benchef

Post by benchef »

I have a fantastic recipe for y-fronts a la Piere Koffmann. They are stuffed with sweetbreads.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think you are talking bollocks benchef.

;-)
benchef

Post by benchef »

leenewham wrote:I think you are talking bollocks benchef.

Wouldn't be the first time! :-)

;-)
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I'm not eating any pants! But I will gladly watch you negative types eat yours, I'll even chuck in a pair for you.

Back to subject, any ideas on the operator?

G-Man

SimonHenderson

Post by SimonHenderson »

Hello Sydenhamites,
Just popped in to ask if there is any news from Antic about the new pub & when it will be opening?

The first post says that they were hoping to finalise the agreement by end of March & make an announcement... It's nearly the end of April & they are due to open somewhere in a little over a month...??

Anyone know anything? I've not seen any construction/refurbishments going on... Was hoping to see the Two Halves being jazzed up into an Antic pub...

I hope the Grayhound reopens as a pub; it's got a prime location on Cobbs corner, so hopefully it will have a new pub owner soon...

I'm more concerned that Antic won't come to Sydenham after all... Which would be a real loss to the alcoholic diversity of the area (for want of a better term)

simon

Post by simon »

Hi Simon,
You should check here about the Greyhound http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 830#p59811?

It is rumoured that Antic are taking over the Two Halves.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Great news if they are coming as they look after real ale. Not sure about location but hopefully all day drinkers will be moved on.
Good Luck in their venture
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Eagle wrote:Great news if they are coming as they look after real ale. Not sure about location but hopefully all day drinkers will be moved on.
Good Luck in their venture
I'm sure if it does happen they will turn it around. They did for the old Copperfield, now the Catford Bridge Tavern.

So, anyone know anything about who the new operator of the Greyhound is going to be?

G-Man
SimonHenderson

Re: Antic have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by SimonHenderson »

Hey folks,
I took the liberty of emailing Fi of Antic (not Antic Pubs, just Antic) to see if I could gather any more info about their opening a boozer in Sydenham...
She said they were still in negotiations so couldn't say anything yet, that they had pulled out of the Greyhound due to the reduced size, but that part of the proviso for the new owners would be that it was to remain a pub!
So no bookies or nail bar at least...
Fi also thought that due to the new reduced size, the two floors would need to be drinking space... So that would be quite a cozy place to have a few over the winter months... all going well we should have two nice new watering holes before too long...

Annie

Re: Antic have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by Annie »

SimonHenderson wrote:Hey folks,
I took the liberty of emailing Fi of Antic (not Antic Pubs, just Antic) to see if I could gather any more info about their opening a boozer in Sydenham...
She said they were still in negotiations so couldn't say anything yet, that they had pulled out of the Greyhound due to the reduced size, but that part of the proviso for the new owners would be that it was to remain a pub!
So no bookies or nail bar at least...
Fi also thought that due to the new reduced size, the two floors would need to be drinking space... So that would be quite a cozy place to have a few over the winter months... all going well we should have two nice new watering holes before too long...

All sounds positive,fingers crossed x
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

]She said they were still in negotiations so couldn't say anything yet, that they had pulled out of the Greyhound due to the reduced size, but that part of the proviso for the new owners would be that it was to remain a pub![/quote]

Sounds like bullshit to me. How could they pull out of a deal and impose condtions on the owner ? Think about it logically. ( Im not buying this but im going to tell you what you can and cant do with it). The planning states what it can be.

The planning for the Pub was always of a reduced size so was not news to them at all. The S.S. and the rhetoric from the Council is B@@@ocks,. I hope to see a decent pub there, but there is so much delusional speculation, lets hope for some realisitic intervention from a Pub operator that , God forbid ( for some people) , would see making money from it !
Last edited by Dorian on 27 Apr 2012 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Dorian,
Please take my name off the quote I never made. Thank you
simon

Post by simon »

Yes Simon H, take everything Fi and Antic say with large pinch of salt. They told us they "owned" the Greyhound and then told us they found it was too small a couple of months ago, even though the plans had been available for about two years. Also, what Dorian says is absolutely correct. What are they trying to do? Do they really want to take credit for someone else opening a pub there??
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There is a post from Cllr Chris Best that I linked to upthread where she says that Purelake have found an operator for the pub.

As I understand it, it is required in the planning that the Greyhound be reopened as a pub - I think that is what Fi meant, not that Antic are insisting on it. That would be impossible, obviously.

biscuitman1978

Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by biscuitman1978 »

rshdunlop wrote:As I understand it, it is required in the planning that the Greyhound be reopened as a pub - I think that is what Fi meant, not that Antic are insisting on it. That would be impossible, obviously.
I have pointed out in an earlier post in this thread that the planning permission provides for the pub building to be used for A3 use (restaurants and cafes) or A4 use (pubs and bars).

However, change of use from A3 or A4 use to A1 use (shops) or A2 use (financial and professional services, such as banks) doesn't require planning permission, unless the planning permission specifically withdraws that right (and in this case it doesn't).

In other words, the building could, in theory, be used for anything falling into the A1, A2, A3 or A4 use classes. A more detailed list of the uses falling into each of these classes is at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... hangeofuse