Save the Greyhound Campaign

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Andwar

Save the Greyhound Campaign

Post by Andwar »

Hi Everyone!

I'd thought that I would start a 'Save The Greyhound' Facebook campaign. So if you can please visit the facebook page by clicking here:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheGreyhoundSydenham

Perhaps the more support we can get the better the chance someone somewhere might be interested in it and save the oldest pub in Sydenham from the Fried Chicken brigade.

Tell your friends, actually tell everyone to support us.

Andy
Eagle

Re: Save the Greyhound Campaign

Post by Eagle »

Andwar
Good idea but there are probably others like me who refuse to go on Facebook or Twitter.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well, yes, Eagle, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea. If you can think of an alternative for non-social networkers, add it here. The more strands to a campaign the better.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Whats is the " Cause " ?

To rebuild the demolished building in its last form or to reinstate the protected older parts that have been removed ?

Make sure it becomes a Pub again ?

Make sure its not an undesired use ?

Could you clarify Andwar ?
Last edited by Dorian on 13 Apr 2012 17:18, edited 2 times in total.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I signed the Facebook page, then realised that it gives all my personal information to others that I don't know,so I have withdrawn it.

If there is a online petition to sign that will not show me personally then I would gladly sign it.

I understand where Eagle is coming from.

But good for you Andwar for at least trying to do something :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Annie - you should check your Facebook privacy settings. Liking a 'page' on Facebook shouldn't make all your info available to others who like the page, or the makers of the page. As long as all your settings are 'friends only' (as they should be) you'll be fine.

Annie

Post by Annie »

rshdunlop wrote:Annie - you should check your Facebook privacy settings. Liking a 'page' on Facebook shouldn't make all your info available to others who like the page, or the makers of the page. As long as all your settings are 'friends only' (as they should be) you'll be fine.

Ok thanks, I will check that out.
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

There's nothing left of it, it's beyond saving. They won't get prosecuted. What's the point? You'll never get your own way by trying to burn a place down or demolishing it in protest.
Last edited by SE26bloke on 13 Apr 2012 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Annie

Post by Annie »

SE26bloke wrote:There's nothing left of it, it's beyond saving. They won't get prosecuted. What's the point? You'll never get your own way by trying to burn a place down or demolishing it.
Not sure what you mean? please clarify.
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

Apologies... I've had more than a few and edited my post after you replied.... it made sense when I posted it but I'm hammered. The building was doomed from the minute the pub was closed down. It had a preservation order put on it but hey, developers have more cash than councils.

Dodgy fire. Unauthorised demolition. One wall left standing. There's nothing left to save.
Annie

Post by Annie »

SE26bloke wrote:Apologies... I've had more than a few and edited my post after you replied.... it made sense when I posted it but I'm hammered. The building was doomed from the minute the pub was closed down. It had a preservation order put on it but hey, developers have more cash than councils.

Dodgy fire. Unauthorised demolition. One wall left standing. There's nothing left to save.

Haha, thats ok I normally understand Hammered speak!
Thanks for clarifying.

I thought it was the end for the pub when they got permission to bulid so close to it,
be honest, who wants to live that close to drunks/cooking smells, maybe even drunken fights?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Nice one Andwar. Will check it out. Why oh why are others so negative, get your acts together! Plenty of people live happily next to pubs and who says the building can't be saved!!!!

Let's have some positivity round here.

G-Man

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There are no problems with drunks or smells with well run pubs. I'm sure it will all end up fine in the end. But there can't be any harm in putting some pressure on purelake to ensure that is the case.

ALIB

Post by ALIB »

FOR SALE:

well-ventilated wall in prime location. Other walls and roof available in kit form.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not trying to be negative and support the enthusiasm of Andwar and others. I was only pointing out why I will not be signing because I do not trust facebook.

Good Luck to the Campaign.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Just to remind everyone that planning permission and Conservation Area Consent were granted 24 May 2010 (ref. DC/09/72790) for ‘partial demolition of The Greyhound Public House, 309-315 Kirkdale SE26 and full restoration to create a self-contained, restaurant / pub (Use Class A3/A4) unit in the centre of a new public square, the construction of two new, part three/part four/part five-storey residential blocks, containing 40 residential units, with commercial uses (Use Class A1, A3 and A4) on the ground floor, restoration of the Spring Hill building, including removal of the existing pitched roof and the addition of a second storey’.

The flats have now been substantially completed, but until recently, no work had been carried out to the public house in the centre of the site.

Planning officers have been on site and confirm that apart from the front façade, the entire building has been demolished and a new basement is in the process of being constructed.
Planning officers are talking to the developers Purelake and have requested that no further demolition is to be carried out. It is understood from the developer that demolition was necessary because of structural damage to the walls and dry rot in the roof. The developers also stated that the building would be rebuilt exactly as the original building and that a pub operator had now been found.

As the building is within the Cobbs Corner Conservation Area, conservation area consent would be required for substantial demolition. The conservation area consent mentioned above specified what parts of the building were to be demolished and Officers consider that substantially more has now been demolished. Currently, officers have requested that a structural report and explanation of why the demolition took place is submitted to the Council urgently while further steps are being considered.

To sum up the Greyhound will be rebuilt with the bricks and windows that have been stored alongside the original tiles from the drinking corridor. Take a look at the corner of Spring Hill to see the standard that has been achieved in the restoration.
Last edited by Chris Best on 15 Apr 2012 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
simon

Post by simon »

Thats great news Chris, particularly that an operator has been found. It would have been good if Purelake had bothered to communicate their plans and progress, perhaps by responding to the SLP last week.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

That's fantastic news! Very pleased. Any ideas who the operator might be?

Cheers

G-Man

[size=80][b][i][ Post made via Mobile Device ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://sydenham.org.uk/mobile.png[/img]
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

All points taken onboard, I shall tonight review the privacy settings on the Facebook campaign.

The idea behind this is to try and gain support for the Greyhound in a more public domain. That way any future operator of the pub would see it as a good investment.

The campaign is to save the pub from being demolised. I would like to see it returned to its former glory with the tiles reinstated and looking like some of the old pictures of the place. It certainly should not become a betting, discount shop or even worse a Tasty Chicken Shack.

I know that I should make the point of the campaign clearer and I shall spend more time on that soon. I just started it very quickly over the weekend without much thought. Just wanted to get something up and running rather than us talking about it here on the forum.

If you take an example of a well run pub then perhaps the Grape and Grain in Crystal Palace could be an example. If you serve good real ale and decent lager then the clientel you get are different and better behaved.
benchef

Post by benchef »

This was in my weekly trade e-mail this week. Will certainly get some people interested in the problem. http://mobile.bighospitality.co.uk/Busi ... K6xAze4HDi