2am railway engineering works

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
tizzyness

2am railway engineering works

Post by tizzyness »

Was anyone else awakened in the wee small hours by extremely loud (and slightly disturbing) noises coming from the railway line? Obviously they were undertaking some sort of engineering work – but really? On a Monday night? I thought they were supposed to give some sort of written notice for this sort of thing. Did I miss the announcement? Unless of course they were emergency works I s'pose.

Going to have to dig out the matchsticks to keep my eyes open today :|
Eagle

Re: 2am railway engineering works

Post by Eagle »

I think you have answered your own question. If urgent no time to advise.

When I lived for many years alongside the track on DR I recall some nights you hears noise for up to 1 hour as works train very slowly crawled by with lights blazing and workmen checking the track.

The railway has been there for about 170 years
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Perhaps it was metal theives :-)
Annie

Post by Annie »

When I lived in Herne Hill many years ago the house I lived in backed onto the Railway,thieves stole the cable from the railway,just missing the BIGGIE which had xxx00000s of volts passing through it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What a pity.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:What a pity.

I would normally agree, but the person who was responsible was a dishy young neighbour at the time :wink:
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Eagle wrote:I think you have answered your own question. If urgent no time to advise.
The other possibility is that it happened during the day, not urgent enough to shut the line as soon as it was discoevered, but to make a temporary repair and do the full job during the small hours when only a handful of trains are about.

Contrary to popular belief or tabloid press, If a solution can be found that is both safe and less inconvenient, Network Rail will take it.

Which line are you by, tizzyness?
tizzyness

Post by tizzyness »

I back onto the line as it approaches Syd station platform 2. Apologies for being a bit ranty on Tuesday - a lack of sleep can tend to have that effect. :oops:

I've lived here for over 10 years and generally take no issue with any late night engineering work (although only twice have I received notification that I recall). It's what you should expect if you live in such a location. It was just particularly loud, and sustained (ie not just checking the track) which sent me in a tizz this particular night. But Checkmate - I think you're probably correct with your suggestion. I suspect I would have been even more miffed if I hadn't been able to get into work.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Ranting after too little sleep is a concept I am very familiar with! Look what the time is, and I don't start work for another 7hrs or finish for another 15!

Interesting to note that, on Sunday, London Overground weren't running between Sydenham and West Croydon....I wonder if what was going on overnight that disturbed you were the checks that prompted the weekend stuff, or some sort of preparatory work....