Rebranding Lower Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie

Re: Rebranding Lower Sydenham

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:Annie
Good to hear from you. I agree that regretably Sydenham not what it was. West Lewisham used to be a Conservative seat for most of the 50's and 60's . Little chance of that happening now. Mr
Dowd has job for life , like Kim Jil Un.

Basically most of Sydenham a nice place , but it does have an image problem.

You only have to look at the number of pawn shops , money shops, cheap shops , chicken shops and the terrible nail parlours.

Decent shops would be nice .
Thats hitting the nail on the head Eagle, Sydenham is a lovely place-in parts,bring in good retailers and it could transform the image that it currently has.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Just a thought but may be it's time to accept the reality that Sydenham High Street is projecting the demographic of the area. No?

Keeping it real since 1968.
Annie

Post by Annie »

mikecg wrote:Just a thought but may be it's time to accept the reality that Sydenham High Street is projecting the demographic of the area. No?
Keeping it real since 1968.

If that were the case Mike,why do so many of the "wrong" types of shops shut?

Keeping it real since 1956-----gosh, really?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I wish I had kept my school notes from about 1961. We had to walk up and down Sydenham Rd noting each shop and whether they were a sole trader , partnership or limited company. The Helen Shapiro look alike in The Record Forum gave me short shrift.

See to recall a better class of shop. There were at least two Gentlemen's outfitters , at least two jewellers if not three. A number of gocers and greengocers and haberdashers, plus many more.
Well recall BOAG's the great hardware store and KB Radio and Dennents ( DIY ) shop .
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:I wish I had kept my school notes from about 1961. We had to walk up and down Sydenham Rd noting each shop and whether they were a sole trader , partnership or limited company. The Helen Shapiro look alike in The Record Forum gave me short shrift.

See to recall a better class of shop. There were at least two Gentlemen's outfitters , at least two jewellers if not three. A number of gocers and greengocers and haberdashers, plus many more.
Well recall BOAG's the great hardware store and KB Radio and Dennents ( DIY ) shop .
I wasn't here then Eagle,I "arrived" in 76, but I well remember "Cobbs" My husband to be, set off the alarms when he picked a jacket off the rail to try on.
I also remember the greek greengrocer (cant rem his name now?) but all i do remember is how friendly everyone one was, mind you I was only 20 then maybe that helped! :wink:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Annie of course Cobbs.

The overheard pneumatic payment system was great.
Recall my grandmother taking me about 56 to Cobbs high class rest for a cream tea.
CaptainCarCrash

Annie wrote: i do remember is how friendly everyone one was, mind you I was only 20 then maybe that helped! :wink:
In fact they were so friendly they had to wire up the clothes to an alarm system :wink:

I remember 76 :) marvelous, we were young boys in the park, jumpers for goal posts, marvelous.
Annie

Post by Annie »

mikecg wrote:
Annie wrote: i do remember is how friendly everyone one was, mind you I was only 20 then maybe that helped! :wink:
In fact they were so friendly they had to wire up the clothes to an alarm system :wink:

I remember 76 :) marvelous, we were young boys in the park, jumpers for goal posts, marvelous.

I don't doubt there were criminals then as well Mike, they came in from Dulwich - probably- :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mike
Of course their were criminals in those days, but as I said with regards to Dixon of Dock Green used to accept arrest with a smile and polite comment.

You could , I think , walk the streets with the belief that someone may stab you if you did not give them so called respect.
CaptainCarCrash

Eagle wrote:Mike
Of course their were criminals in those days, but as I said with regards to Dixon of Dock Green used to accept arrest with a smile and polite comment.
It's a fair cop gov? I wonder what mad Frankie Fraser and the Kray's would have said?

You could , I think , walk the streets with the belief that someone may stab you if you did not give them so called respect.
Surely that should be a without? not that I'm a very good pedant, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :D

This is a problem for teenagers. may I remind you Eagle that I remember seeing skinheads when I was growing up sniffing a bag of glue, this was around 1979.

There have always been issues with teens and violence but I can agree it probably wasn't as bad as it is today except the millions that died during ww1 and ww2 and all the other mindless wars through history. Violence is a part of the human condition.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

"You only have to look at the number of pawn shops , money shops, cheap shops , chicken shops and the terrible nail parlours."

theres your demographic for you
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

There are some very nice streets in Sydenham . Where are the residents shopping ?

These Money shops are a disgrace . Over 1000% interest , usually a lot more.

Nail parlours ? What did we use to do and most of us still do , cut our own nails. This surely is a luxury ( if indeed it is a luxury ) for the very rich of SE26 .

Why not make Syd Rd pedestrian only. You could divert down Mayow Rd , Thorpe's and Silverdale.
At first traffic bottleneck then drivers will find alternative routes.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:There are some very nice streets in Sydenham . Where are the residents shopping ?

Nail parlours ? What did we use to do and most of us still do , cut our own nails. This surely is a luxury ( if indeed it is a luxury ) for the very rich of SE26 .

Why not make Syd Rd pedestrian only. You could divert down Mayow Rd , Thorpe's and Silverdale.

Opps! don't upset the Thorpe's Eagle.
But yes,where do the residents shop? I know where I do.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle wrote:There are some very nice streets in Sydenham . Where are the residents shopping ?

You do know that nail salons do more than 'cut people's nails'?

As a resident of Mayow Road, I'd be up in arms at your suggestion of diverting traffic there, if I thought it was even a remote possibility.

The money shops are just leeches, makes me want to revive that old term - usurers.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dunlop

To be honest not sure what nail parlours do but I guess people have more money than sense.

Guess it shows the affluence of SE26 with so many open.

Ok could take the bypass down Girton / Tannsfeld/ Newlands P / Tredown / Venner.

We need street cafes with outside areas to up market the high street. Plenty of waiting jobs for the people who claim they cannot ever get a job.

Win all round
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Closing the high street to traffic will kill it Eagle. It's not the right place for it. If it's like Bromley or Kingston with massive parking provision, a huge array of shops and brands then yes, it may be worth while. Pedestionising high steets like Sydenham, like they did in Hayes in Middlesex doesn't work.

Traffic is not eh problem.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

You could be correct , just an idea ?

I knew Hayes well 5 years ago and I would say Sydenham has a more upmarket demographic.
FergussonFamily

Post by FergussonFamily »

No one is suggesting "North Penge" then? :wink: :lol:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle - I understand you don't patronise nail salons. Neither do I. However, it is a way of people spending their disposable income and that's a good thing.

You could argue that people could just do their nails themselves. Well, that's true. They can also cook for themselves - should we close all the restaurants?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dunlop
I suppose the nail parlours are an improvement to the tanning studios. It beggars belief that people would want to use such things , which as we know cause health problems.

I will lay of nail parlous and bless all who sail in them.