Support your local French bakery!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Weeble

Re: Support your local French bakery!

Post by Weeble »

I love the bakers, I love the fact it is no-frills, no fancy branding but just straightforward great bread sold fresh in the morning just like you'd find in a village in France.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I think their croissants are incredible, the chocolate and almond is particularly amazing. Mad as it sounds I do think they're too big though - I think I'd buy them more often if they were a bit smaller!

I don't make it down there as often as I should, so I will make more of an effort, I would hate to see them go.
fanillier

Post by fanillier »

Bump!

I'm gonna show them this thread and hopefully they can see the love and suggestions.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

I went in to Sugar Mountain on Dartmouth Road today. La Bonne bakery will be supplying them with the croissants that they will be selling on Saturdays and Sundays. So that's good news for them.

Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

We've actually been to the bakery a few times in the last few weeks and there is simply not enough stock. People are going in and walking out with nothing only to head into Tescos... As we sadly had to each time :(
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:So we get taken to task for supporting British workers. What has the world come to.
Nick Griffin supports British workers so much he bought a Czech car, which was repossesed...
Annie

Post by Annie »

Manwithaview1 wrote:
Eagle wrote:So we get taken to task for supporting British workers. What has the world come to.
Nick Griffin supports British workers so much he bought a Czech car, which was repossesed...

So?
is he the only politician to support British Workers then? :?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Annie

Not sure how this got tied up with Bakery , which I support. Probably my thought for being sarky.

Man with a View ( wet view at the moment )

I have no idea what car Mr G has nor do I listen to his tirades. As you seem to support the greens guess you have not got a car and are out on your allotment , with natural organic products to put on the soil.

What is green policy on infamous nail parlours
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Thanks Annie

Not sure how this got tied up with Bakery , which I support. Probably my thought for being sarky.

Man with a View ( wet view at the moment )

I have no idea what car Mr G has nor do I listen to his tirades. As you seem to support the greens guess you have not got a car and are out on your allotment , with natural organic products to put on the soil.

What is green policy on infamous nail parlours
I cannot afford a car on Carer's Allowance.

No idea.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I loved this bakery when it first opened ... and ate far more than was good for me.

But I must say I've been sadly disappointed lately. When I've been lucky enough to find the shop open that is (it's usually closed by the time I can get there - though items are still on display in the cakes section).

As others have said, I also find the pastries too large and did suggest to the gentleman in the shop that he offered mini pastries (like Patisserie Valerie do) as an alternative choice.

But my main gripe now is that there seems to be a cutting back on the more expensive of the ingredients. They've been getting more and more meagre and the last pain aux raisins I had contained just three raisins. THREE. I kid you not!
multisync

Post by multisync »

Greed I say, would like to support if worth supporting !!!!!
robin

Post by robin »

i went in this morning and bought delicious freshly baked pain au chocolate and bread. the pains aux raisins all looked like they contained plenty of raisins too.

i've never been disappointed by the quality or generosity of ingredients in pastries, cakes, cookies or bread in the year or so i've been a customer. in fact, the produce is far superior to that of the bakery in the village in france where we stayed on holiday last year. the only problems i've had are when the shop is closed unexpectedly early or has run out of stock.

the owner seems like a nice bloke and is happy to respond to any comments or criticisms. he was really apologetic the other day when i was too late for a wholemeal loaf, and gave me money off the bread i did buy "for the inconvenience" even though i didn't complain at all and was happy to try something else.

in my opinion they're doing a great job in difficult circumstances and are definitely worth supporting. we're lucky to have them.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

The produce is great but I went there at 12:15 on Saturday and they were closed! This is the second time I've cycled up there and this has happened.

G-Man

adrian

Post by adrian »

Although we really enjoy having this nearby I have a couple of comments:
- the croissants/pain au chocolat are a bit too rich with butter.
- they do nice tarts but tend to want to sell whole large tarts and they don't really work sold in slices. It would be better if they did small ones like 'Paul' which would be much more tempting as a weekend treat.
- The range is a bit limited.
Lois

Post by Lois »

I have to admit that I have not yet been to this bakery and I will have a look just as soon as I can.

I make my own organic bread and prefer not to eat food that is not organically produced. And yes, I do have allotments even if I don't manage to put in as many hours there as I would like.

They may already have organic produce and I will check it out soon. But if not then maybe that would be a new line they could try. I am really sad that the shop 'Provenders' shut in Dartmouth Road. I do think it important to support local shops and prefer not to shop in the supermarket.

Looking forward to checking it out.
LaBonneBakery

Post by LaBonneBakery »

Thank you very much for your support and criticism, we need to value everyone's views.
We are new in this forum and maybe we should have joined earlier to rectify things before they got worst.
Please accept our apologies if we have disappointed you in the last few months and for all those who still have hope in us , we will do our best to keep it that way.
Running a business is not as easy as people think it is especially when it comes to finding the right balance on the amount of items to produce per day.
Despite the increase of raw material (i.e. eggs 65% increase in Jan 2012, flour 32%..etc) we have been trying to keep our prices down and are still cheaper than our competitors (with a much better quality)
Please be aware that we have reduced our opening times to 7am-2Pm Tuesday-Friday and Sat-Sun 8am-2pm and the shop is closed on Monday.(Sometimes we have to close earlier when the goods are sold out)
In the past we operated longer hours and did produce more but this did not worked out as we ended more giving the bread away than selling it.
We are looking for a qualified baker to join the current team, so do not hesitate to recommend one.
Regarding people who would like to be notified about our closures, we have been putting notice on the door and we will find a way to put the message on our website too.
We will also have a form available from next week and would strongly encourage our regular customers to register. Registered customers will receive a text message whenever we are closed and will also be notified of new products in the shop or deals.
Together let's work for a better Sydenham and please feel free to forward us your feedback at info@labonnebakery.com or just visit our website www.labonnebakery.com and complete the contact form with your comment.

Your Local French Bakery
sisterofwookie

Post by sisterofwookie »

La Bonne - we reposted your message on the Kirkdale Village facebook page - lots of your customers frequent our facebook page, worth taping into this for info and to promote your business, special offers etc as much as you like. We are routing for you!

http://www.facebook.com/kirkdalevillage ... alevillage
multisync

Post by multisync »

May I ask what's going on with the bakery at the moment.Walked past yesterday morning around 9.45 and it was closed.
SydenhamStokie

Post by SydenhamStokie »

There was/is a notice on the door saying that the baker is unwell and that their "supply baker" was unavailable. They are due to open again on Tuesday.

I was disappointed too!
sophie

Post by sophie »

I love this bakery far too much than is good for me!

Their chocolate almond croissants are amazing. Their tarts are also good.
multisync

Post by multisync »

You know they have the monopoly in the kirkdale area let's face it Tesco croisants etc are crap!So I think they should make a bit more effort, afterall if you had made a special journey for there produce, you would be a bit annoyed to say the least if they were closed