Where was 16 Sydenham Hill?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Where was 16 Sydenham Hill?

Post by Falkor »

It must be near the westwood hill end. I wonder if this well still survives?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

No.16 Sydenham Hill is The Wood, mentioned <elsewhere>. What amazed me about this article is how inaccurate it was. The most glaring example, apart from the completely spurious claim that the building was 200 years old and the connection of James 1 and the Duke of Marlborough, is the reference to "the weathervane from one of Wren's churches, St Lawrence Jewry". The journalist surely meant the tower of Wren's St Antholins, Watling Street, now half a mile away in Round Hill.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Interesting!

If the reference to the stables is correct, I imagine that well is under what are now the garages, although I've never seen any evidence of it or in the main house.

Equally interesting that they couldn't get the facts right, even though the place was less than a hundred years old when that piece was written.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Falkor, I've just realised the possible answer to the location of this well may lay in the pics you posted of my house on my thread in the cafe forum.

They show a stable block that was once much bigger than it is today and was also attached to the main house; they also show number of other features that are very different from the house I know, which is why I am anxious to compare the pics with the actual building, not just because I'm keen to find some pictorial history of the house, but also because I reckon I can date those older pictures fairly accurately.