KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Mazzer

Re: KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Post by Mazzer »

Hey Bastard (that's nice, what sort of dog does your friend have?), I wish I could look at our society through rose tinted glasses, no such luck for me as my profession is very much 'on the street', I have to deal with what is really going on in our communities every day.

Rod: you are right, I missed a crucial word in writing about that study, the three years olds 'perceive' that they are looked down upon. Of course that perception doesn't come from their imagination but from their experiences in their environment. That's the sad part.

Marie
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

"I have to deal with what is really going on in our communities every day."

and you obviously deal with it based on the ideological tosh you have been fed and and believe, otherwise you wouldnt have spouted most of the garbage you did
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Great Bustard wrote:"I have to deal with what is really going on in our communities every day."

and you obviously deal with it based on the ideological tosh you have been fed and and believe, otherwise you wouldnt have spouted most of the garbage you did
Hello,

Just wonderin, in what capacity?

Incidently I cant believe the when they are three line, who the hell is coming out with this stuff.

My son is young and we do not see this sort of thing from the little ones, it usually develops as some parants get involved with the posisoning of minds across the board with no boundaries.

Not everyone btw.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Mazzer wrote:I have to deal with what is really going on in our communities every day.
" In what capacity ",Good question mikecg ?
PaulineLeJour

Post by PaulineLeJour »

I can see at least one caucasian looking chap in that picture.

Never mind that and your opposing views/masked accusations of racism, is culinary discrimination considered a crime worth of capital punishement on this forum too ? I detest the fried chicken outlets because I do not like the cheap fried chicken they 'prepare' and sell; I equally and generally detest their shop front, signs and the scattering of greasy napkins + chicken bones practice dutifully followed by far too many children on the way back from school every day; please forgive me if I don't particularly pay attention to their skin tone or ethnicity, I am unfortunately far too busy trying to avoid their rubbish on the pavements. So, OT for OT, you parents out there stop worrying about racism perception at such an early age in your childrens' life and start teaching them some manners.

I am therefore a little disappointed that KFC is opening a restaurant at the new commercial site near the Sava Centre. I guess market research may have provided them with the guarantee their premises would be a success. We, people of Lower Sydenham, Forest Hill, Sydenham, are obviously great lovers and eager consumers of fried chicken.

Make of this all the conclusions your skills and competences in socio-demographic analysis will support.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote: for example, what is the difference between a perception and a stereotype? It seems a three year old is capable of a perception of racism but when a grown up perceives something, (Swagger's right or wrong association of R n' B with thugs) - it is a stereotype.
I think it's more a question of whether or not you're a member of the group concerned. If you're not, you're often tempted to stereotype it, and sometimes to discriminate unfairly against it on the basis of that stereotype. If you are, you may 'perceive' (rightly or wrongly) that you're being stereotyped or discriminated against.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

and there you have it.

some of these people want to be stereotyped...yes , they want to be seen as dangerous and menacing...thats why they don some of the attire that has become so beloved of their stereotype.
CaptainCarCrash

GB, is there any chance of you answering my earlier question?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

mikecg wrote:GB, is there any chance of you answering my earlier question?
You seem to be a little muddled again mikecg. I think you are asking " In what capacity" in reponse to this
Mazzer wrote: I have to deal with what is really going on in our communities every day.
statement made by Mazzer not GB.Only trying to help.....................
CaptainCarCrash

Dorian wrote:
mikecg wrote:GB, is there any chance of you answering my earlier question?
You seem to be a little muddled again mikecg. I think you are asking " In what capacity" in reponse to this
Mazzer wrote: I have to deal with what is really going on in our communities every day.
statement made by Mazzer not GB.Only trying to help.....................
Woops! I wondered if you'd spot that, well done :D

Sorry GB I mean Mazzer :oops:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Great Bustard wrote:and there you have it.

some of these people want to be stereotyped...yes , they want to be seen as dangerous and menacing...thats why they don some of the attire that has become so beloved of their stereotype.

I think certain groups "attire" excludes them from mixing/getting to know the people around them,
this can create "barriers" it happened in the past with the mods and rockers for example,also if you look at the drinkers in sydenham high street the one most often spoken about is the one with the tattoos.
I am not suggesting that everyone should look the same,but that some groups of people do not help themselves by appearing to poke two fingers up to everyone else.
CaptainCarCrash

rod taylor wrote:I agree. You cannot claim to be alienated unless you wish to participate.
Very good in principal but what about if your face doesn't fit? there will always be those that people alienate against through no fault of their own.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree Mike.
I've experienced it quite a few times.
CaptainCarCrash

leenewham wrote:Totally agree Mike.
I've experienced it quite a few times.
Who could possibly alienate you? I'm surprised lee tbh.

I have also experienced alienation, but I like to play devils advocate, putting the cat among the pigeons and winding people up a bit, as long as I can refute and repel any rebuttal of course but it is difficult as there are many skilled masterdebaters on the internet.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote: I agree. You cannot claim to be alienated unless you wish to participate.
Has 'alienation' been mentioned? What people tend to complain about is discrimination or prejudice.

In any case, 'wishing to participate' covers a wide range of attitudes. At one extreme, there is extreme conformism, accepting unquestioningly the dominant social norms of the society you live in. At the other is the person on the social or aesthetic or religious or political or ethnic fringe - the eccentric, the stranger, the 'rebel' - who nevertheless accepts that they have to keep within the law and respect others' rights. I think we ought to be prepared to accept people's rights to live, dress etc in the way they I like, provided they don't break the law or actively interfere with other people's freedom or happiness. Shouldn't that include 'R&B types'?
rod taylor wrote:[ He cannot be alienated as he is not trying to participate. But he wears the badge of alienation because he prefers the approbation of his peers. Well thats fine. But then don't say you act like that BECAUSE you are alienated.

Who does say they're acting like that 'because they're alienated'? They do it , as you say, largely to gain 'the approbation of their peers'. What's wrong with that? I like the approbation of MY peers - don't you?
The street style that was earlier described by Annie does its best to build a wall between people. It is a style that celebrates its own intimidation.
Many young men like to look tough. They always have done. They'll grow out of it, most of them.I expect that in most cases, the 'wall' is just a carefully calculated artistic effect. Why can't we learn just to ignore it and treat them as fellow-citizens who choose to look different from us?
CaptainCarCrash

Robin's right IMO.

I personally feel that a lot of this stuff is to do with peoples own phobias rather than anything else tbh.

Streetwise or stooge the choice is yours.
CaptainCarCrash

rod taylor wrote: I agree with you. It's a pose. Your answer succinctly answers Mikecg's question above.
May be the difference between you and me rod is that I do not feel intimidated when I go into a KFC where the local yoof hangout.

Swagger/BBW feels the heat because they are only a couple of years younger or the same age as he is so if he goes in to a KFC he's more succeptable to feeling the tostestorone eminating from a few 15 year olds than older people are.
rod taylor wrote: I don't think thats the choice.
when you are 15 and living on a council estate it is, which rock have you been hiding under?

Edit to add: Robins point about clothes tells me I'd be worried if the local yoof started wearing tweed suits, smoking jackets and cravats but it would look excellent :lol:
CaptainCarCrash

Rod remember this lot?

i wouldn't go in to a KFC if this lot were in there.

May be this was you?

Or was it?

Maybe it's

:lol:
Last edited by CaptainCarCrash on 4 May 2012 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainCarCrash

rod taylor wrote: Depends on what you mean by streetwise. Eating KFC? Wearing a hoodie? Or carrying a knife, joining a gang? Where do you place the bar?

But we as a society are continually looking at perceptions - the perception by a group in society that the Police are out to get them, that there are no jobs for them, that society is inheritently racist.

If we are taking perceptions seriously, and many right thinking institutions like the press, social workers and community groups do, then why are we disregarding the perception among many that the behaviour of some kids who favour a faux-gangster lifestyle is intimidating?

Personally I am not intimidated by these kids. To be honest I'm not intimidated by anyone. But my 82 year old neighbour is, and if you search through these boards you'll find an awful lot of other people are too.
So everyone in a KFC is in a gang and is carrying a knife are they? Well suffering mother of f*ck.

Punks scared old people and most other youth cultures have. You have to remember there are good and bad of all otherwise we are in deep trouble, you can't tarr everyone with the same brush because of a stupid garment of clothing, it's insane.
CaptainCarCrash

Broken Britain? unfettered urban decay?

1M youth unemployed, it'll get a lot worse probably but as I said not all are bad.