KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

Re: KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Post by leenewham »

Eagle, when I type I sometimes nake nistakes. He was a he.

Annie, no idea. Namaste had one for over 4 years.

Tim, it's difficult to make happen but they need to overhaul the whole system. Oxford Street is owned by the Grovesnor Estate. Regents Street by the Crown Estate.

I've spoken with owners of markets, shopping malls and some enlightened traders groups. They all say the same thing. They target the businesses that are right for their area, that will compliment the businesses on offer and try to discourage ones that wont. If it's not possible to block them, then at the very least use data such as foot fall and demographics as a tool to try to attract certain businesses to the area.

Marylebone is a case in point:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/150m ... 15214.html[/url]

"The café culture and independent boutique shops along Marylebone high street contribute to its distinctive village feel.

But it wasn’t always like this.

“In 1995, about a third of the shops on Marylebone high street were either vacant or occupied by charity shops,” says Simon Baynham of Howard de Walden. “You could fire a cannonball down the street with no risk of hitting anyone.”

The estate set about changing this and, in the process, has been writing the manual on how to regenerate moribund urban areas. The transformation began with two large spaces rented to flagship stores – a Waitrose supermarket and a Conran shop.

Then it started a programme of improvements to the high street by buying out some smaller tenants to increase the estate’s holding to about 70 per cent, allowing it to wield more overall control of the reshaping of the high street. It is currently working on a plan to create a continuous shopping link from the southern end of Marylebone high street towards Oxford Street.
There are concerns Marylebone could become a victim of its own success. As more offices are converted to private residences and as absentee owners buy up the neighbourhood, some fear the area’s liveliness and charm may evaporate. Others, however, are confident the diverse high street, with its mix of up-market shops and a thriving street market scene, will continue to attract a wide range of local residents."

Think about East Dulwich. They had the Blue Mountain Cafe and it kinda grew from there, plus they had a strong traders association. Sydenham hasn't capitalized on any of the new, talked about businesses that have come here so far, but Forest Hill has. Same story with Crouch End who started attracting funky young businesses to compete with Muswell Hill. Now they are thriving and Muswell Hill is struggling.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mike
You make some good points.
Whilst East Dulwich has now an upmarket demographic this has not always been the case.

I would think many people living in Sydenham who would visit the High Street if many quality shops. At the moment most of these people go elsewhere and leave the High Street to the other demographic of Sydenham.

Trouble is chicken and egg. You need a good number of shops to attract the elite and who is going to open many at same time.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Lee - your examples of Oxford Street and Regent Street being largely owned by the Grosvenor Estate, and Marylebone Road by the Howard de Walden estate help make the case for concentrated private ownership. It's not essential, as the success stories of Lordship Lane and Crouch End, attest.

When you say there is a strong traders association in East Dulwich, what group did you mean? There's a group called the South Southwark Business Association which I find on searching for traders association on the EDF, which seems real if a bit limited to complaining about CPZs, and another on Googling "Lordship Lane Traders" which seems more like self promotion for a local web designer.

I'm sure a good local traders' association will help, but I suspect, without strong, enlightened landlords, it's more a matter of individual entrepreneurs with flair, such as Mel of Blue Mountain Café setting up in North Cross Road, catching the tide of a changing demographic.
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

I doubt KFC will close the surrounding chicken shops. The smaller chicken shops are a lot cheaper than KFC and young people prefer to save their cash.

As for East Dulwich, I am sure Tim Lund looked into this before and someone had attributed the success to allowing younger people to open businesses, to create arty cafes and craft shops. Plus East Dulwich has nice houses not far from Dulwich that were cheaper (back then).

Sydenham also has cheaper houses than other parts of Londno so anything is possible. Soon to have Sushi too I've read!
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

ALIB wrote:Returning to Checkmate's original post
Well F**K me! 195 posts precede this one in this thread, including my original one. Only five or six of them have any relevance to that original one.

I've seen posts along the lines of mine before......"What's going to move in where the xxxxxx shop was that has closed down?".....these kinds of threads last ten-maybe 15 posts with a few rumours, conversations with shopfitters, etc etc and then fade awy into nothing.

Not this one, oh no, its turned into a near 200-post thread full of preconceptions about the youth of today and their colour, musical tastes, criminal tendencies, etc etc etc.

FFS I only wanted to know if KFC were coming to Savacentre!!!!!

"Dunno, Checkmate" would have sufficed!!!!

Perhaps I should start a post about threads going off topic........
maestro

Post by maestro »

Does anyone want to buy two tickets for a Donna Summer concert?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Is that meant to be funny ?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Dorian wrote:
Dorian wrote:
Checkmate wrote:I think I am going to abandon this thread at this point.
If it helps with your O.P. here is KFC's target locations http://www.kfcdevelopment.co.uk/where-w ... px#Results

Perhaps Stuart Gall could help you ?
Did the O.P. call or any one else ? Doubt it
No, I did not.

I thought I would ask the members and readers of this forum. I thought this was the kind of thing a local resident's forum would be useful for, that someone would have the local knowledge to answer my question.

If I was that desperate to find out, I would have started ringing council pplanning offices etc and not bothered posting.

What I did not think was that my question would spark off accusations of racism which has got the site admin involved, and spawn a thread containing almost 200 posts, very few of which about what I asked.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

At least I was topical.

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Topical, maybe

On topic?

No.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Checkmate wrote:Topical, maybe

On topic?

No.
Errrmmmm, Your thread was titled, "KFC in Savacentre grounds?", I post a link to the person at KFC property buying section responsible for Lewisham, and you consider that, OFF topic ? :roll:

I was actually trying to be helpfull, and at the point I posted that, was putting the thing back on topic, or I would have thought most people would read it that way.
michael

Post by michael »

Can you still buy Topics at Savacentre, or have they gone the way of the Marathon and Opal Fruits?
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Dorian wrote:So a photo showing a group of youths that follow a certain musical gender from a diversity of ethnic backgrounds would have been accepted as non racist ? :roll:
Dorian wrote:Utter drivel, if the implication was that only Black people listen to RnB, it would be incorrect, yes, but I fail to understand how it is racist ?
Whilst you were better than most, Dorian, you got sucked in too.

back to www.chess.com I think.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Checkmate - I understand your frustration, but you have to acknowledge the law of diminishing returns with forum threads. In general, the longer they are, the further they get from the OP, and very few threads get beyond page 4 without some accusation of racism, bigotry, or fascism, whatever the original topic. In your situation, I would have stopped reading after page two and turned off new post notifications (if you had them on). That's generally what I do.

Thread hijacking is bad form, like throwing chicken bones on the street. On other forums, I have seen people self-policing these things, taking themselves off to a new thread to continue the off-topic conversation. That's good forum manners and something posters here might consider doing in future.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

If you have a conversation with a group of people the subject normally changes,what's wrong with that happening on here? I do not see why this should cause frustration and swearing,the subject of K.F.C has passed,and people have digressed, as your name suggests, perhaps you could indulge more in tranquil past times?

marymck

Post by marymck »

rod taylor wrote:It's the Legal High that makes you fat.
And the free buses passes to school children that keeps it there.

(Lights blue touch paper and retires.)
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Checkmate wrote:lst you were better than most, Dorian, you got sucked in too.
I wasnt " sucked in " , I joined the debate and responded to what was being posted, there is a difference. I agree with all the bullet points rod taylor made in his last post. I gave you the means to answer your question when the discussion had moved on from that precise subject and you chose not too contact them, so how interested in KFC at the Savacentre are you ?

You seem quite proud to have instigated a well commented thread and having said you were "done with it" are actually the person perpepuating the very same, and using fowl language to do so :wink:
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Ribbit, ribbit
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

There was nothing to stop those who wanted to discuss the ethnic makeup and criminal tendencies of chicken shop customers to start another post to do so, leaving those able and willing to answer my question to do so here.

I completely accept what has been said, in this thread as well as the one in the Town Asylum, about discussions moving about, that is fair enough.

but how did a simple question about a potential KFC turn into 200+ posts littered with racism accusations?

Would it have gone down the same road if, for example, I had heard that it was a florist, or a travel agent, that was planning to open under the flats near Savacentre? Of course not.

I posted my question in the Town Cafe - "Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends, ancestors or anything else related to Sydenham"

It turned into a thread more at home in the Town Pub - ..."bad jokes, flame wars or other banter you would have enjoyed in the old place. "

Admittedly my own language would be more at home in the Pub, and for that I apologize.

Perhaps I wold not have been so annoyed if i hand't had to pick my way through racist rubbish to find the odd coment about my question.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Annie. wrote:If you have a conversation with a group of people the subject normally changes,what's wrong with that happening on here?
Face-to-face conversations and forum threads are completely different. On a local forum, in a section of that forum intended to be more of an exchange of information about the local area (as opposed to a section of forum deliberately created for flame wars and banter) you need a little bit of structure so that people using that forum to find or post information can find what they are looking for.
Annie. wrote:...the subject of K.F.C has passed,and people have digressed...
Shall we close this thread then? As above, people looking for info about KFC will not find it in this thread, despite it's title, and people looking to join a debate about the various themes that have been covered in here would not look for a debate about such things in a thread with this title.
Annie. wrote: as your name suggests, perhaps you could indulge more in tranquil past times?
Careful. This could be seen by some as going along the road of personal attacks :D

Right. I really am done here now. I leave this thread in a state of chilled-out-ness, with an apology, and returning to my more normal state of good humour.

Ohh....its lunch time...

Morley's Chicken, anyone? :twisted: :lol: