Another stabbing in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Re: Another stabbing in Sydenham

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Life has always meant a generation according to a QC I used to drive around years ago.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Dorian wrote:
Annie. wrote:He should be put away for life, well done to the victim and the helper,it must have been a shocking experience.
I agree with you Annie. No doubt he will mitigate with drug addiction, and tough childhood and not enough "hugs" when he was younger ! Self defense, but carrying a blade in a gym, risable.

Best wishes to the two brave victims.
I never understand "drugs" as a mitigation.. . Surely the point should be that "not only does he steal/attack people etc. but he also takes drugs: so he is guilty of TWO offences"

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How can Life , mean a generation. That is making fun of the language.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:How can Life , mean a generation. That is making fun of the language.
One person was sent down with numerous life convictions AND a recommendation that they spend at least 35 years. :mrgreen: They were 50ish I think...

That is making fun of mathematics.
Jac

Post by Jac »

The Judge in this case was very clear that GBH with intent is a very serious offence which carrys a life sentence,there was not one,but two innocent victims who were both lucky not to have lost their lives especially considering the position of their wounds.
Considering, as well his numerous previous convictions of "carrying a bladed article in a public place",2 convictions for "robbery using a bladed article", a very similar offence where a row broke out on a bus because someone "looked at him in the wrong way" which led to a fight off of the bus resulting in Campbell stabbing one victim 5 times and a second victim in the chest(luckily both survived),he has served custodial sentences over the past 9 years which have not served to rehabilitate him,the judge sees him as a danger to the public and his sentence will reflect this.

My faith is in the Judge....hope im still saying the same this time next month ! :)

Jac
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I hope so too Jac, with his list of past offences how was he allowed to walk the streets ever again?
This is also a Legacy of the
MACPHERSON inquiry which rightly so had to be done,but unfrotunately it took away stop and search,which I know was misused to a certain extent,but it was at least a deterrent to carry knives, even if it just led to a few not being on the streets,it was worth it.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Annie well said

It is right that officers of the law , who are here to look after the law abiding , have a right to search anybody on request.

I would never object to being searched if asked by a police officer.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:Yes Annie well said

It is right that officers of the law , who are here to look after the law abiding , have a right to search anybody on request.

I would never object to being searched if asked by a police officer.
Officers are here to look after everyone Eagle, even criminals.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Macpherson didn't do away with stop and search at all. It introduced the requirement to record "stop and accounts." police still have the power to stop an search - they just need "reasonable suspicion". The reform of stop and search came after the Scarman report.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Sorry,I thought it was after The MacPherson report, However,I suspect it changed the way stop and search is done,and I expect it is done less now? Otherwise how come there are what appear to be more knife crimes on the street,or am I wrong?

michael

Post by michael »

Eagle wrote:I would never object to being searched if asked by a police officer.
How about if it happened to you once a week, or daily, or seven times in 72 hours?
How about if you were strip searched on Sydenham High Road?
Would you still feel you were happy for the police to do their duty, or might you feel just slightly victimised?
Guardian, December 2011 wrote:More commonly, interviewees said they had been stopped "about once a month" or "about twice a week". One respondent said he had been stopped "seven times in the last 72 hours".

By contrast, in London, police say they carry out 8.7 stops per 100 people, suggesting riot interviewees are at least eight times more likely to be searched than the average person.

One rioter told the Guardian: "Young black boys are always at the brunt of the stop and search tactics. We're always the one that's getting stopped and searched. Strip-searched, naked, private parts flashing, ain't found nothing, I've just been subjected to a strip search, you ain't found nothing, and I can't have no compensation or not even a 'sorry' or nothing."

One 18-year-old white woman in London said: "A male officer grabbed my, he searched my sister, he's got no right to search my sister; he's a male officer. By then I said to him: 'You can't search my sister, you need a female officer,' and there was a female officer there and he just done it out of spite because he thought he had the authority to do it."
As a result of listening to the victims of stop and search, the Met Police have changed their policy:
Evening Standard, 12th January 2012 wrote:[Met Commissioner]Mr Hogan-Howe has told colleagues he is concerned at the number of black people being stopped in London despite having done nothing wrong. He told the Metropolitan Police Authority today he has ordered more training and education for officers on stop and search procedures to ensure they are "professional and calm".

One Met insider said: "We recognise that the use of the power is disproportionate. We want to lessen its impact on communities and make it a more effective weapon in fighting crime."

Last week Mr Hogan-Howe described stop and search as "a real challenge" and said the Met needed to be more "targeted". Further details of its new strategy are expected today. The commissioner wants the arrest rate per number of stops increased to 20 per cent. It is now around six per cent, the lowest of any major UK city.
Figures for stop and search have no correlation to reported knife crimes. With a 6% arrest rate it is a fairly blunt instrument, and is recognised as a contributing factor to a number of riots in London, including in 2011.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Annie. wrote:Sorry,I thought it was after The MacPherson report, However,I suspect it changed the way stop and search is done,and I expect it is done less now? Otherwise how come there are what appear to be more knife crimes on the street,or am I wrong?

Incorrect.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What exactly is incorrect.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Mvav enlarged the type of the words I gather he is referring to.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie
But you made a very valid point that if there were more searches now there would be less knife crime.

Man with a view of sorts is blinkered again.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Annie
But you made a very valid point that if there were more searches now there would be less knife crime.

Man with a view of sorts is blinkered again.
He's only blinkered to your own point of view Eagle doesn't mean that he's wrong necessarily,
just means he disagrees! After all; It's his point of view! :|

Searches only make a difference if the right people are searched in the first place, how can
you be sure of doing that without a crystal ball, a very difficult situation for our Police Officers
to be in as they too are only human and can get this wrong some of the time. History shows
that getting this wrong can cause a negative backlash which can lead to yet higher crime, riots, etc.

As Bensonby points out you do require reasonable suspicion or good reason to stop and search
which makes good sense to me. I wouldn't have a problem being searched in the odd one-off
situation where an obvious reason / suspicion existed. I would, same as anyone, get the right
old hump if this became a regular occurrance for any reason.. :shock:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

But I go back to Annie's legitimate comment. If there are more searches now why are there so many knife crimes.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Perhaps because the people being searched are not the people carrying knives?

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:But I go back to Annie's legitimate comment. If there are more searches now why are there so many knife crimes.
Maybe the two factors aren't as closely related as we might at first assume!
Or: Could it be that knife crime is rising very rapidly :shock: and more quickly than the amount
of searches currently being carried out?
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

rshdunlop wrote:Perhaps because the people being searched are not the people carrying knives?

This would be a good reason too! :wink: