NEW HOUSING IN SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: NEW HOUSING IN SYDENHAM

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:More burden on the tax payer over here though? Council is a Landlord, although if they wanted to make private Landlords responsible for the heating/green aspect of a new building,then yeay, i'm all for it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I'd assume that higher rents would be allowed to compensate landlords, private or social housing.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Tim Lund wrote:Slightly off topic, and mere hearsay (somebody told me this last weekend), but apparently in Scandinavia, landlords are responsible for the heating bills. It would definitely make sense for social housing, where tenants will not have the money to invest in decent insulation, and since tenants will not want to be over heated, the landlords' liability would be limited. And Scandinavian houses are much better insulated than ours.

Sorry to wish an extra burden on landlords, Dorian :oops:
I suspect that depends on how the buildings are heated. If they use a common hot air system, where one large or a community of smaller buildings are heated by one large boiler, then it makes sense that the provision of this is covered by the rent (I have lived in just such a building in the past. All I paid for was the electricity to operate the fan-based radiators that circulated the hot air, or cool air in the summer).

I can't imagine landlords being liable for heating bills for systems that are entirely in the control of the tenants.
Last edited by Rachael on 8 Jun 2012 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Tim Lund wrote:
Annie. wrote:More burden on the tax payer over here though? Council is a Landlord, although if they wanted to make private Landlords responsible for the heating/green aspect of a new building,then yeay, i'm all for it.

I'd assume that higher rents would be allowed to compensate landlords, private or social housing.
Which again could affect the Tax payer.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

One must not assume anything.
Heating should be paid for like water
I would imagine people moving into these dwellings would be professional people not single mothers breeding on the state.

Not sure if Lower Sydenham Station will be able to cope with all the increased traffic
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I think having the three? Developements built at the same time might make it more difficult to cope,when its a gradual influx to an area it seems easier to get things right,I am surprised that all the buildings were allowed to look soooo different from each other, they don't exactly suit the area.

stuart

Post by stuart »

Blushingsnail wrote:" In addition, a number of photovoltaic panels will be installed on the roof in order to provide an additional source of hot water."
Ooops - do they mean solar heating panels to heat water or photovoltaic panels to generate electricity? Or is Bell Green a part of a different physical universe :o

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Eagle wrote: Heating should be paid for like water
Metered or not? Would that also apply to driving on the public highway, or are you happy just to pay taxes for our roads? Or would you agree they do things better in Singapore?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I think road charging great idea. Surely those who use the roads more should pay most .
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I agree Eagle,as long as it is fair to everyone who uses it and not open to abuse.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

That goes without saying Annie.

Sydenham has to many cars already. Unless they ban cars from new devolpments then will be gridlocked.

Cannot see anyone in Greyhound devolpment wanting a car and nearest parking lot would probably by LPR or Syd Park.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

the people in these flats at Bell Green and the Greyhound are bound to get cars and have children even if they don't start out with them, this will lead to immense pressure on local services, all the neighbouring sideroads etc. Children round here can't get places at local primary schools, I can't get a doctors appointment for weeks etc. I don't see any plans to increase local services along with the influx in population- or have I missed something?
Also, in the development at Bell Green there are supposed to be retail shops etc at the street level- who is going to go to shops there when you can buy everything at Sainsbury's about 100 yards away?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Geri
Valid comments. Do you know if parking spaces provided or will they use The Sainsbury car park. I think you will find most people do not like parking their cars a quarter of a mile away.

There is Lower Sydenham station and numerous bus routes. People should be sensible. Especially as you say some of these are shared equity flats they will need to save to buy the balance not fritter away on expense of owning a car.

I agree not sure what shops would want to open there. About the only think not covered by Sainsbury would be an undertaker.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Haha,we have several of those in Sydenham -"Dying" for your trade!

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

gerispringer wrote:the people in these flats at Bell Green and the Greyhound are bound to get cars and have children even if they don't start out with them, this will lead to immense pressure on local services, all the neighbouring sideroads etc. Children round here can't get places at local primary schools, I can't get a doctors appointment for weeks etc. I don't see any plans to increase local services along with the influx in population- or have I missed something?
You say 'immense', but could you put a figure on that? To be fair, I don't expect any one here could, but this is the sort of thing proper professional planners could estimate, and come up with a fair amount to ask of developers - who'd pass the cost on to freeholders - for the improvement of local infrastructure. If we don't allow this sort of reasonable calculation, we'll never manage to build the houses people want ... which is where we are.

I know there are plans to increase school places, e.g. at Kelvin Grove; last year - or was it the year before? - our Victorian water main was replaced - be fair to our planners and Local Authority, they're not complete idiots.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Yes there were plans to increase school places,but mst of he places would have been filled already by the increase in children here now.
But having said that,I believe they are talking about increasing the intake at Kilmorie by another 200 places very soon.
I think for me personally its the Doctors,Dentist,etc that concern me if they are not planning on increasing the capacity there.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:Yes there were plans to increase school places,but mst of he places would have been filled already by the increase in children here now.
But having said that,I believe they are talking about increasing the intake at Kilmorie by another 200 places very soon.
I think for me personally its the Doctors,Dentist,etc that concern me if they are not planning on increasing the capacity there.

So let's agree on a system responsible public officials, without undue political interference - or any passionate commitment to modernism or any other 'ism' - get on and make the best informed decisions. It's not that I want more bureaucrats, just better ones. And fewer politicians - but still some.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I will be surprised if the residents of the bell green devolpment manage to get insurance to cover floods. Have there not been floods down there before?

Not sure the infrastructure can handle all the extra residents but guess the council will do well from the additional council tax.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I wish I understood you Tim! Haha, am I being told off? or are you agreeing with me? Laymans terms only please.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Its bad enough having a Husband that waffles! ;0)))

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:I wish I understood you Tim! Haha, am I being told off? or are you agreeing with me? Laymans terms only please.

Just making a point, really, that these are the sorts of things that reasonable people - you, me, planners, even Councillors - can understand, that it ought to be possible to do more or less the right thing, admitting always that genuine mistakes are possible. If we believe we'll never get the extra infrastructure new developments require, and use this as reason for never accepting any new development, then we just perpetuate our current housing crisis. If we are right that we don't get the extra infrastructure new developments require, then that's something we should care about. It's the sort of thing Local Assemblies would concern themselves with if they were actually a serious part of our civic life. Instead, it's a case of "Housing? Let's just not go there!"