Adamsrill - Reception 2012

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Susie1791

Adamsrill - Reception 2012

Post by Susie1791 »

Hi

My son is starting Reception in Adamsrill in September (or January, not yet decided), so if there are any Mum's reading whose child is also starting Reception and would like to meet up for a playdate so their little one will have a familiar face starting school, please get in touch :-)

Kind regards
Susan
Mum of Wiss

Re: Adamsrill - Reception 2012

Post by Mum of Wiss »

Hello!

My little boy is only 2 and a half so not quite ready for Adamsrill yet, but I am hoping that we can get a place there. I would love to hear how your son settles in when he starts.

Do you mind me asking if you put your name down a long time ago? How close to the school do you live? I have heard varying reports about 'catchment' areas!

Thank you in advance, angela
KM

Post by KM »

Hi
Just a general answer - you don't need to put children's names down at schools until the academic year before they are due to start; then you enter your choices onto an application form via Lewisham. The deadline this year for schools applications was 15 January for children starting in September. However ring the schools way in advance to find out about Open Days for prospective parents - they are usually held in the autumn and Jan/Feb.
It works differently for nursery places and you should call the school direct about that.
Regarding catchment areas, if you look on the Lewisham website or call them, you can find out about each Lewisham's school's Admissions criteria. This is produced in a booklet each year and you must use this as a guide when applying for schools - you can get it online or in the library.
Hope that helps...
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Hi Angela

KM has pretty much covered your question. I will let you know how my son likes it when he gets going there. I've had no luck in finding him a finding him a fellow new starter on here so keeping fingers crossed he will settle in well :-)

Kind regards, Susie
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Before my Children started school I made sure they went to play school within the area of the school so they would meet others starting at the same time,it worked a treat,the friends they made then are till friends 25 yrs on, is there anyway you can do the same?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Hi Annie, he goes to a pre-school on Lennard Road and unfortunately none of his little pals are going to Adamsrill, the majority seem to be going to Alexandra. Kids are adaptable, I'm sure he will be fine but it would have been nice to have a familiar face on his first day :-)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Ahh,thats a shame! But he will be fine,I worried about my son,wondered what he would be like when I had to leave him on the first day----he just walked off,didnt even bother to look back at me! Haha I was more upset than him, I went into the Hilltop cafe waiting for them to call me back,and they never did,so as you say they are very adaptable,the fact he's all ready been to pre-school will help him a lot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Hi Suzie - my children will be the "big kids" in the infant building (Yrs 1 & 2) when your son starts. Welcome to Adamsrill! Hope he settles in well.