OLYMPIC SPONSORS & LONDON SHOPS

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

OLYMPIC SPONSORS & LONDON SHOPS

Post by leenewham »

This makes me mad as hell. Who paid the most for the Olympic Games in London?

The taxpayer, which includes small shops.

I suggest we boycot all the major sponsors during the Olympics.

We hope that Lewisham will ignore this and turn a blind eye to small shops running olympic promotions. It's the right thing to do.

Perhaps every shop in Sydenham should take a stand and display the Olympic rings in the window?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 45436.html

Businesses have been warned not to infringe the rights of sponsors such as Adidas and Proctor & Gamble, who are pumping £1.4bn into London 2012. These are examples of adverts which would be allowed and banned under Olympics legislation - the 1995 Olympic Symbol EWtc (Protection) Act and the 2006 London Olympic Games and Paralympics Act:

PROPERTY

ALLOWED – Stratford Mansions. 1 & 2 bedroom flats, £220,000 to £350,000; 5 minutes’ walk to Stratford International Station; next to Olympic Park; 15 minutes commute to Canary Wharf.

BANNED – Simplefields Homes. An Olympic investment not to be missed! 1 and 2 bedroom flats, luxurious fittings, 5 minutes’ walk to Stratford International Station

CLOTHING

ALLOWED: Landle’s speedy trainers: ‘Helping Athletes Run Faster’

BANNED: Smithers Running Shorts: ‘ Made in London 2012’

HAIR

ALLOWED: Advert for hair gel featuring a famous Olympic athlete showing career highlights with the tag-line: ‘Some people create magic which can make your hair stand on end. We’ve bottled it.’

BANNED: A hair gel ad showing athletic images and a runner receiving a medal outside a London 2012 venue with the words: ‘Is the excitement of the 2012 Games making the hairs on your neck stand on end. Use our gel to make sure your head matches.”

GENERAL

ALLOWED: The Tower of London Gold Jewels Exhibition 2012

BANNED: Smithers Jewellers, supporting the London Games.

PUBS:

ALLOWED: A blackboard sign outside the Red Lion saying: ‘Watch the Olympic Games here with a cold beer… Live coverage all day.’

BANNED: Brewer’s posters displayed outside the Red Lion with the message: Grogglington’s Bitter: Watch the Olympics here’

MEDIA:

ALLOWED: A newspaper article about an athlete qualifying to compete in the Olympics headlined: ‘Olympic triumph’.

BANNED: A newspaper advertorial headlined: ‘Olympic inspiration’ with pictures of a brand and references to the Olympics inspiring a product.

C) The Banned Words.

The Olympics legislation bans the use by unauthorised businesses (non-sponsors) of 'controlled representations', depending on the context. This is the list of 'controlled representations':

The Olympic Symbol (the five interlocking rings)

The Olympic Motto (Citius Altius Fortius' / 'Faster Higher Stronger'

Olympic (s)

Olympiad (s)

Olympian (s)

The Paralympic Symbol (the three 'agitos')

The Paralympic Motto ('Spirit in Motion')

Paralympic (s)

Paralympiad (s)

Paralympian (s)

London

Games

Summer

Two thousand and twelve

Twenty Twelve

Medals

Gold

Silver

Bronze

Sponsors
Nigel

Re: OLYMPIC SPONSORS & LONDON SHOPS

Post by Nigel »

Lee
100 percent with you on this .
I am not remotely anti-Olympics , having as we do
tickets for the women's 1500 metres but I agree that the sponsors are wielding terrifying power .
If any establishent in Sydenham is offering an Olympic Breakfast or similar I pledge to eat it in full view of a Trading Standards Officer.
Since our local council seem to be unable to spot , let alone deter a dodgy builder from knocking down a listed pub on one of the busiest roundabouts in London I suspect we have little to fear , but full backing from me - it's tantamount to bullying and it will not , I am sure, be remotely acceptable to the people of Sydenham.

Good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Re: OLYMPIC SPONSORS & LONDON SHOPS

Post by Tim Lund »

It's just a mobile phone photo, so the global brand being led out by the Union Jack as part of the torch relay not very obvious - not such a bad thing.

No such luck with this Murdoch press self promotion, so photo edited