Sydenham's Children's Hospital

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
skitchen

Re: Sydenham's Children's Hospital

Post by skitchen »

I am adding a photo which shows the front of the hosital as it was in 1959. The man standing in the door of the Casuality department I think is Mr. (Dr.) Nash, one of the very kind doctors on the staff.
Now that I know how to add pictures, i have several pictures of the staff in uniform , but not many names. May I add their photos without permission from them or knowing who they are?
Pat Lawrance

Post by Pat Lawrance »

I worked at Sydenham Children's Hospital from 1972 until 1978 as a nurse. I loved it so much
and cried when I left. I have worked in many hospitals over the years but Sydenham was my
favorite. I have many photos taken on the wards which we could do then. I too was very sad
to hear that it had been knocked down and flats built. I would love to hear from anyone that
worked there, or was a patient, then. I might even have a photo of you !
geesahib

Post by geesahib »

hi everyone
i used to know a nurse named noorani hamid who used to work in children hospital around 1974 she was working in farnaham hospital before transferring to sydenham if anyone knows her present cotact/whwereabouts or she herself reads plz leave a msg for me here thanx
geesahib

Post by geesahib »

attn: pat lawrence
hi saw ur msg here i wonder if you knew nurse noorani hamid who worked in the children hospital at the time you were working there she was from malyasia/indonesia i will be greatful if you can help me in finding her whereabouts now thank you and regards
Pat Lawrance

Post by Pat Lawrance »

geesahib wrote:attn: pat lawrence
hi saw ur msg here i wonder if you knew nurse noorani hamid who worked in the children hospital at the time you were working there she was from malyasia/indonesia i will be greatful if you can help me in finding her whereabouts now thank you and regards
Hello geesahib,
Unfortunately, I don't remember your friend's name at all. Was she a student nurse or qualified. I know there used to be a post-enrolment course at this hospital for SEN's.
Pat
geesahib

Post by geesahib »

hi pat
thank you for responding to my msg.the person i am looking for was sen she might have been auxiliary nurse and as i mentioned she was working in farnham(surrey) hospital before transferring to sydenham if you know any other asian nurse/auxiliary who were there at the time may be they might know her thanks for trying anyway
rgds
geesahib
De-Vanney22

Post by De-Vanney22 »

Hi my name is Sue, i was intersted in reading about the old Sydenham childrens hospital, my mum Anne Shields, worked at the hospital in 1950, i have a lovely picture of her taken with some of the children & other nurses in their uniforms, outside the building of the hospital grounds, the photo lists some of the nurses names & also the staff nurse, my mum worked there for a while but sadly she contracted polio, & could no longer work there, I wondered if you would like to show the photo on your sight, i would be willing to let you see the photo, lookforward to hearing from you kind regards, Sue,
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I spent many weeks in the hospital in 58 and although only 8 or 9 seem to recall well looked after.

Does anyone who worked there from 48 to 70's remember a Margaret Todd?
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Would the original childrens hospital have called The South Eastern Hospital for Children Sydenham ? The reason I ask is an Aunt of mine died at the age of 7months, and the hospital was named as above,would it have been the same place?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Probably Annie.

Sounds familiar but not 100% sure.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I meant to say this happened in 1922.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sorry Annie.

Guess one can find out at Local Records in Ladywell Library ( sorry Lewisham Library in Ladywell)

Very good records section.

The building , I seem to recall , looked Victorian.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

No need to traipse out to Ladywell - Google is your friend! The Hospital was indeed called South Eastern Hospital for Children between 1872 and c.1948. See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/Hosp ... 23&page=20
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thank you Robin.

brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

I was in the Children's Hospital in 1953 at the age of 13 with a broken leg. Most of the children were younger than me and I thought I should be in a "grown up's" hospital. But my favourite nurse was Nurse Exley, remembered with affection to this day (it might have been a schoolboy crush).
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

The hospital is sorely missed by many of us.
I spent time in there late 50's - early 60's, then years later my daughter was looked after by
the wonderfull, caring staff too. Mrs Dassard, a very caring Jamaican nurse enquired after
nursing my daughter for years (after she had spent time in there).It was the best place a child
could be when hospital was necessary.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

My husband piggy backed my son to the hospital when he was small after getting a very nasty cut on his foot,they were amazing nurses,did a great job.im surprised it was allowed to shut down, but hey ho thats progress?

patientbev

Post by patientbev »

To Pat Lawrance
You posted a message back in Jan 2012 re working at Sydenham Children's Hospital. I was a patient there on and off from 1967 until sometime between 1972 and 1974? Would like to build up a profile about life at the hospital hoping you can help you mentioned having lots of photos would be great to hear from you.
If anyone else out there has any information about that time, you may ave been a porter, patient, administrative worker etc it would be great to hear from you too .
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

In the late 1960s I lived in a house in Kingsthorpe Road, in the flat upstairs was a fireman and his wife who was nurse at Sydenham Children's Hospital. In about 1968 she thought it would be a good idea to cheer up the wards with some paintings, so we spent several weeks in the evenings painting Magic Roundabout characters in poster paint on the glass partitions between some of the wards. I know some locals remember the pictures. In the mid-70s I lived in Champion Road and the hospital was still functioning. A pity it was closed.
Pat Lawrance

Post by Pat Lawrance »

message to 'patientbev' - my e-mail address is patricia.lawrance@btinternet.com if you would
like to contact me and tell me more of yourself.
Pat