The Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
multisync

The Greyhound

Post by multisync »

I know this has been covered previously. But does anyone know what is happening with the Greyhound, the scaffolding has been gone a while now and no work is going on.Who is going to want to open a shop or live there with a half built ( pub ? ) in the middle.Or is it that they are waiting for the roadworks to be finished. The pub should make a great entrance to Sydenham, at the moment it's an eyesore.Then with winter coming and no roof on the building it will be f----- before long :x
biscuitman1978

The Greyhound

Post by biscuitman1978 »

This has indeed been covered previously, most recently in http://www.sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewto ... und#p69350 Perhaps admin could merge it with this thread.

But in short:
- Much of the pub was demolished without the required consent
- The developer then started to rebuild it
- Rebuilding work was then halted (presumably when the Council became aware that unauthorised demolition had taken place)
- The developer still wants to rebuild the pub, but in a slightly different way to the old pub
- This needs planning permission
- Initially, the developer sought planning permission for rebuilding of the pub with a larger basement, the addition of a conservatory and the use of the first floor as flats
- I understand that planning officers at the Council took a dim view of this proposal as they were't keen on the flats at first floor
- The developer withdrew the planning application, presumably not wanting to push it further the permission was going to be refused
- A new planning application has now been submitted for rebuilding of the pub with a larger basement and the addition of a conservatory, but with continued use of the first floor as a pub or restaurant
- The Council is aiming to make a decision on this application by 14 November 2012

I imagine that the developer will want to crack on with rebuilding the pub as soon as they can (if indeed permission is permission is granted). Their incentive for doing so is that Sainsbury's cannot occupy the unit to the rear of the pub (under the residential units) until:
- The tiles from the drinking corridor in the old pub are installed in the rebuilt pub
- The tiled wall on the rear of the pub is complete

Sainsbury's are keen - they have submitted separate applications for their signage and the installation of an ATM.

So, assuming permission is granted for the rebuilding of the pub, I think things will move forward. Whether builders will be back on site this side of Christmas I don't know...

As for people wanting to live in the new flats with a half built pub, people have already started moving in. I'm sure they'd prefer it if the pub was finished, but it's not stopping them!
Search East

Re: The Greyhound

Post by Search East »

Good overview biscuitman1978, fingers crossed the planning permission goes through and they get the pub up and running asap, especially with that large crack above the right hand side front window that developed after they rebuilt it.

Do hope that the Antic Group could be brought back in to run it? I'm sured they pulled out due to the developers not giving a clear completion time and uncertainty over their plans and what they had been granted to do by the planners.

If so, I can get friends visiting me in Sydenham for a drink, rather than Crystal Palace, Dulwich or Forest Hill! :D
Weeble

Re: The Greyhound

Post by Weeble »

As for the question of whether people will want to occupy the homes - they are all affordable housing available for social rent, so they will be going to people on the housing waiting list. There's huge housing need so they will be snapped up in no time. I expect many of the new occupants will be overjoyed to have a new home to call their own - part finished pub or no part finished pub.