New homes on Sydenham Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

New homes on Sydenham Hill

Post by Thomas »

On 17 Sydenham Hill (on the Southwark side of the road) a large house is being redeveloped (by the looks of it, quite extensively) and next door, on the site of the former 19, 21 & 23 Sydenham Hill some new flats are being built. Does anyone have any information about either of these schemes? Thanks!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

You can see the planning applications for these buildings by going to the <Southwark Planning Applications> website and using Location Address.

No.17, now called Fountain House, is interesting. The owner is having it restored (and enlarged!) for his own private use and is confident that it will be finished by the end of Summer. He contacted me some years ago about the history of the building. Its first, and most interesting, resident was <Sir Francis Pettit Smith> who lived there 1864-1866. Pettit Smith is widely credited with inventing the screw-propeller, and was commissioned by IK Brunel to design the propeller on the SS Great Britain.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thank you Steve - very interesting. No17 looks to be very big already, so I had thought that it would be converted into flats.

Information on the new build on the site of the former 19-23 can be found on the developers website:
http://www.skillcrownhomes.co.uk/futureschemes.html

I notice (from the Southwark Planning applications site) that the owners of No11 have submitted plans for it to be turned into flats.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

isn't this the way of things to come? This has happened to all town-houses (including the one I line in!!). As a result of the change in demographics (divorce, people living longer, not gettting married, reduction in birth-rate) there is an urgent requirement for small appartment-type properties.
If houses can be converted into flats, then they will be.

If not, then developers will seek to demolish and build as many flats on the site as possible.

I have given-up fighting against it all.................

Alib
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I notice that there is a blue plaque on No17 to show that Pettit Smith lived there - is this new or did I fail to see it before?
Wing

Post by Wing »

Also, No. 11 Sydenham Hill is being redeveloped into 8 flats.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Thomas wrote:I notice that there is a blue plaque on No17 to show that Pettit Smith lived there - is this new or did I fail to see it before?
It is new. I glimpsed it just before Christmas, and went for a closer look today. I'm delighted to see that it is an English Heritage plaque, the best sort. It says that Pettit Smith lived there 1864-1870 and was "pioneer of the screw propeller".
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I see this house has just come up for sale, with an asking price of a mere £4,200,000
http://tinyurl.com/8jav57
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I wouldn't take Zoopla seriously - anyone can pimp their property for however much they dare...

Zoopla estimate the value has dropped £556,608 in the last year!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Admittedly it's the owner's own estimate of his house's value. The Zoopla estimate is a little more modest.

The seller has listed the property under his own name (he once owned a club in Brixton) and, of course, may simply be testing the water. I don't believe he has ever lived in the house.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I would be interested to know what happens - I suppose it could be converted into flats?
davegr

Post by davegr »

It used to be divided into flats before the renovation work began. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago going round there because the landlord was selling all the furniture and bits and pieces that the tenants that previously lived there used. It has taken what must be 6+ years to renovate it. It looks great now-but who needs 9 bedrooms? I bet it will be converted to flats.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It's now on the market with Harvey & Wheeler in Dulwich:
http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vdetai ... 9870&dbt=1
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Titchy little thing, isn't it? :shock:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I did wonder what the air-conditioning units which you can see in almost all internal shots would do for it's energy-efficiency rating.

'Good' to see that despite it benefitting from modern double-glazed sash windows it sets a new benchmark in it's non-green credentials being almost off the scale on both counts!

I suppose if you have that much to spend on your home you worry not about such trivial matters as the 'leccy bill' [would one ever use such a phrase?] or the future of the planet.

I mean what do they expect these multi-millionaires to do? Open the windows!? Take off their smoking-jackets of a Summers evening?? Wear shorts about the home - for the love of God? :roll:

Oh, how the other half life.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It might not be air conditioning but a heat exchanger which are very energy efficient and give you fresh air all year round.

It seems to be used on grand designs a lot these days.