Can't believe it - 278 Kirkdale's been sold

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
dickp

Can't believe it - 278 Kirkdale's been sold

Post by dickp »

The falling down place next to the DIY shop, near the railway line. Finally - a "Sold" sign has gone up. Hurrah!

So, folks, do you know who's bought it, and what their plans are?

Here's what it might end up looking like, if the original plans are stuck to.

http://images.vebra.com/Kalmars/COMM/DE ... rkdale.pdf
Eagle

Re: Can't believe it - 278 Kirkdale's been sold

Post by Eagle »

7 apartments and a pub. Who wants to live over a pub next to a busy road and railway track.

Not sure what these flats would sell for. Must be low end of the market.

Would be ideal for alcoholic train traveller.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M[/youtubes]

Go on Brian. I dare you!

If the plans are stick to, then it could be good. The glass is half full for now as long as it's well designed, made and finished and gets good tenants.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I guess anything better than it is now.

May be just what Sydenham Gateway needs
simon

Post by simon »

Interestingly, the previous owners, who obtained planning permission, were Antic through their property company, which went bust.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Eagle, are you serious? It's going to be a pub?! Opposite another pub?! Just down the road from a half built pub?! Aaaarrggghhhh!!!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Pubs near pubs work if they have different offerings. Crystal Palace, for example, how many pubs are close to each other there. Forest Hill, same thing. East Dulwich, same again.

Also, people do live above pubs, sometimes staff sometimes others. Many people see close proximity to a pub a good thing. For social reasons, and the fact that they enjoy a pint but not the walk home. It's not about being an alcoholic.

Be interested to know who has bought it. Anyone?

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Has anyone else noticed that the arrow on the map points to the wrong place?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

G-man is right. It's near the station so a great location. More pubs mean more choice. More choice means more people. More people means more footfall. More footfall is good for Sydenham, this proposed development is good for Sydenham if it's done properly.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Look at the cluster of pubs on Dartmouth Road - The Sylvan Post, Question Bar and the Dartmouth Arms are all within spitting distance of each other and all do well. You can wander up there on a whim, knowing that if one is full, or doesn't have a menu that appeals, you can usually find what you fancy in one of the others. It's the same in Beckenham - lots of pubs and clubs so you can just say to your friends: Let's meet in Beckenham and decide where to go when we get there.

While it may seem initially counter-intuitive, three or four good pubs and bars close together will do better than one all by itself. Same applies to restaurants.
michael

Post by michael »

I've lived above a pub in a student flat. It was a bit annoying as I was sometimes woken up in the middle of the afternoon when barrels were delivered. Appalling timing when they know students live close by.

But this sleep disruption was offset by a convenient place to go for a drink in the evening and had the advantage that we could lower our phone out the window and into the pub when we were expecting calls. Since then I believe phones have been invented that you can take to pubs even if you don't live within extension cord range.

Seems like an improvement to the high street to me and I assume the flats will have good noise insulation with a main road, pub, and railway line so close.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Development opportunity going to auction on the 19th February - guide price is £425,000 for this site next to the railway line.

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

michael wrote:I've lived above a pub in a student flat. It was a bit annoying as I was sometimes woken up in the middle of the afternoon when barrels were delivered. Appalling timing when they know students live close by.
Oh dear Michael, you mean to say that they spoilt your afternoon nap! :lol: :lol:

Would the middle of the night be more convenient for you? :?..... :lol:
Search East

Post by Search East »

Just seen this site listed for sale on an auction website / trade press.

http://www.a-r.co.uk/current-auction/lo ... r=20130219

Will be interesting to see if it gets bought, plans get stuck to, or it remains boarded up and untouched and constantly sold on for profit.