Lemon Tree

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Micromel

Re: Lemon Tree

Post by Micromel »

Restaurant looks great from the outside and the take away menu looks good too. Can't wait to try it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

There have been so many generous remarks about this establishments and only a couple of very agressive attacks. I cannot help thinking the anti's have another agenda.
Kate R Park

Post by Kate R Park »

I suspect that 'Posh's' comments be taken with the large degree of scepticism they deserve - joined the forum the same day as their only two posts. :roll:

I've had food from Lemon Tree twice, eat in first, based on the early reviews on this forum, and grabbing a takeaway after an extended evening frequenting local purveyors of refreshments.

Dining in was great; no sign of any sleaziness, but a healthy interest from the manager about feedback for the quality of his food (v. good). In fact, the young lady that served us for the evening could hardly have been described as confident, however her apparent lack of experience was more than offset by her charm. Still good service for the takeaway, although found a couple of our meat based dishes a little greasy (should probably be ghee-ey?), but still tasty.

Planning to go back next week, as there is still not enough positive feedback about Gurkhas to consider it an option.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Ate here a couple of nights ago - The staff were very pleasant and the service good. The food was fair to middling. If it's just takeaway you're after then Barakah is your friend.
Kate R Park

Post by Kate R Park »

Thanks HB, we have had a few takeaways from Barakah, and they are very good (including the free 'treats' you often find in your bag). Namaste was also good the last time we ate from there - they seem to have upped their game since their re-fit.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Looks like Golden City have reduced their seating by half, sadly.
Posh

Post by Posh »

There is absolutely no apparent reason to be jealous re: Lemon Tree. Just an opinion which was shared, lets watch the space, just hope people do not get disappointed. Recently there was an incident where my colleague had an take-away, and found the bill did not reflect the food that was received, may be just err, human error? I am a sceptic about the people managing the place. There is no consistency and real sustainable service.

Posh

Post by Posh »

I'm under the impression that an direct beneficiary is using the Forum to promote LemonTree? I have had many great experiences of eating out, therefore my expectations are possibly high. It was a chance that we had gone in for a meal. I recognised the manager. From previous dining out experiences. Appears very charming, but ruthless and unscrupulous person.

EmmaM

Post by EmmaM »

We went to The Lemon Tree on Monday evening to celebrate my mother's birthday. The staff were absolutely delightful and helped us with the surprise cake, candles and singing of 'Happy Birthday'. They catered very well for the three vegetarians in the group and gave us a couple of delicious complimentary dishes. The food was outstanding - best chicken dansak I have ever had and really good vegetarian and prawn dishes. Everything tasted fresh and the naan bread was obviously home made and really scrummy. They make all the little popadom accompaniments themselves and talked us through the day-long process of drying the coconut for the delicious and unusual coconut dip.

The place looks spotlessly clean, it has a lovely family atmosphere and we felt that we were truly appreciated as customers. I would highly recommend it.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

My wife Mary and I visited the Lemon Tree last night. Excellent service and good food at a very humane price. We will be going again.

Regards
Chris
maverick

Post by maverick »

Exactly the same staff as has been there for years,they simply rotate managers and re brand the name. I have been out back,upstairs and yard.Trust me,see all of that then tell me you enjoyed it.Love a curry,but when you see where it comes from,no thanks. And yes i agree. SLEAZY.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

OK - Can someone enlighten me as to what's going on with this thread?

Are we witnessing some kind of proxy flame war between the owners of Lemon Tree, Gurkha and Barakah?
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Say what..?
Honestly, what a completely random couple of posters...
I've not been in but I will make it my business to try them out if for no other reason that I don't like spurious mud-slinging undertaken from anonymous positions.
Good luck to the Lemon Tree. Honestly, most of us here are normal!
Maria

Post by Maria »

Yes absolutely MiniFox - most of us are normal and loads of us have already tried (& loved) the food at Lemon Tree or are looking forward to do so in the very nearest future.

We wish L Tree the very best of luck in the meantime - great to have the variety: we also do love and support Gurkha by the way!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Hello Maria!
Yes, we love Gurkha too and won't abandon them. This has given me a bit of a giggle this evening. God help anyone taking over the Greyhound if they sell food...
MiniFox (not a beneficiary of Lemon Tree, Gurkha or any other high street store, real or imagined)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm surprised at Mavericks comment, I know you lived a couple of doors down, but the owners of the Lemon Tree are new aren't they? I don' think they are sleazy.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way and enjoyed eating there. It seemed to attract a different crowd to who went there before and it had quote a few people eating in, which was a big difference to before. They were friendly and not sleazy in any way.

Maverick, before you said the yard was not connected to the restaurant in any way. I know you lived nearby, do you know for sure the new staff (I've never had any problem with the staff who were there before and always had good service, even if in it's previous incarnations the food varied a lot in quality) have acted in a sleazy way or do you mean the fact that the business changed names before under the same owners?

They have made an effort in my book and aside from one person on this forum, every report I've heard has been incredibly positive. Businesses like this should be supported.

Perhaps it's best to go and judge for yourself.
Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

It's so sad to read such negative and incorrect comments about a business that could really benefit the area. I used to eat there when it was called Grama Masala, then Pistachio. The management are new, as are the staff. If you doubt this, go in and ask for Ray or Farhi, who previously worked there but no longer do.

As the saying goes, try it, you might like it. Until then, the moaners on this forum should button their lips. The Lemon Tree is great.

maestro

Post by maestro »

I tried the Lemon Tree last night, the quality of food served was excellent, the service polite and not over intrusive. The staff are all very friendly and happy to chat with you if you wish to, if you don't wish to then they'll just leave you to get on with your meal. I truly found no aspect I could criticise and I'm sure to be a regular there in future. I'll also predict that if they can maintain their current standard then they'll soon be getting pretty busy, there were quite a few other diners in last night, takeaways being delivered as well as customers calling in to collect. Also full marks for playing some decent background music instead of the usual screeching violins this genre of restaurant invariably imposes on diners.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I've been there twice now and enjoyed it. The staff have been very good. It's not been the best curry absolutely ever but well above average.

I've tried it in all incarnations since the Mehgna and whilst I will always miss Ahmed I think it is currently in its best incarnation.
Unicorn

Post by Unicorn »

Excellent lunch in this restaurant today and attentive but not intrusive service. Good luck to them, Sydenham needs more good quality places like this if would lift the whole area.