Fly Tipping - Cobbs Court/Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

I now live in the Greyhound flats after moving from Upper, I like it but there's one thing getting on my nerves - RUBBISH.

Every night someone is using the walk way between the pub and flats as a tip. Right now there is what looks like a broken wooden shelf also paper, chicken boxes, platic bags ect. How can we stop this!?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Re: Fly Tipping - Cobbs Court/Greyhound

Post by leenewham »

There is a lot of rubbish along there.

It's a good example of 'broken window theory'. When a place looks scuffy and unloved, people don't care and it attracts anti-social behaviour and things like fly tipping. I'm sure when the pub is finished and the units occupied that it will be fine. Having an unfinished derelict boarded up pub and boarded up shops on every face of the alleyway isn't doing anyone any favours.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Ah yes that true and hopefully will change. I can't understand how some people can do this with with no care in the world.

marymck

Post by marymck »

It's the "it's all about me" culture, I'm afraid.

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

go out there with a broom, and sweep it all into a pile at one end, and then onto the street - the council will be along shortly afterwards to clear that up (and fine you for littering) - but at least the alley will be clean.

alternatively - make a five minute phone call, or send an email, to lewisham Council. Not sure of which department, but there will be details on the London borough of Lewisham website - explain that it's a mess and needs cleaning up. they do have street cleaning teams, and someone will clean it up - it's what we pay our taxes for afterall.

... unless of course it's private land - which it might be, in which case it's the responsibility of the owner of the land to clean it up, and so you'd have to contact them instead, or complain enough to the council, and they'll clean it up and send a bill to the owner. Something like that anyway.

posting on here, and creating this thread, is likely to bring it to lots of people's attention, but probably not the right people, so it'll remain unclean for a while, until you, or someone else complains to the council (or appropriate landowner - as above)

Good Day

JR
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The best thing to do is report it using http://www.lovelewisham.org/Reports. To the Council's credit they deal with most reports very quickly.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the http://www.lovelewisham.org/Reports webpage and search for reports by 'biscuitman1978' (me) you'll see that I've reported flytipping in Station Approach several times - which is why you rarely see flytips there (or if you do they disappear pretty quickly).

As JRobinson says, you have to take some kind of action!
Moonpig

Post by Moonpig »

Rubbish also seems to be a big problem on Spring Hill and some days it looks pretty grim (especially when the local foxes have been at the Council rubbish bags awaiting collection!). Back in the day, I remember the campaigns about not dropping litter - you don't seem to see much of these anymore, which is a shame.

Flytipping is also common at the bottom (near the grassy mound) - but LoveLewisham is great and deals with it really quickly once it has been reported. However, it would be great if the council could do something to try and prevent it in the first place.. I have seen a few signs dotted around warning of penalties if caught flytipping, but maybe a few more of these are needed - I'm not saying that people would take any notice, but you never know!
ksyd

Post by ksyd »

Could a local street artist jazz up the boring boards around the area?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Likelife wrote:I now live in the Greyhound flats after moving from Upper, I like it but there's one thing getting on my nerves - RUBBISH.

Every night someone is using the walk way between the pub and flats as a tip. Right now there is what looks like a broken wooden shelf also paper, chicken boxes, platic bags ect. How can we stop this!?

I have reported this walkway a couple of weeks ago to the Love Lewisham website and it was cleared. However, you need to establish who owns this - is it an adopted Lewisham street, a walkway which is the responsibility of Hexagon, the Housing Association who manage the Cobbs Court flats, or will Sainsburys keep the area clear of debris when they finally open the much advertised 'Sainsburys local' whenever that may be? I would advise querying this with Hexagon first. Presumably they have a cleaning company to maintain the communal areas? Are they responsible for this walkway? In the meantime reporting it to Love Lewisham website seems to get it cleared. It's such a shame (but not unexpected) that this pathway gets strewn with rubbish. It is a bit isolated isnt it.....
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Incidentally, I have queried with Cllr Chris Best the possibility of siting a CCTV in that area to discourage fly tipping and anti social behaviour. I am still awaiting a response unfortunately....
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

There are some cameras on Cobbs Corner roundabout to check on speeding rather than flytipping but I will ask what they capture.

The majority of the footprint is now owned by Hexagon leaving the pub in the ownership of Purelake. When I queried the arrangements with Hexagon I was led to believe that Hexagon will be raising a service charge on the two commercial units for the maintenance of the pathways and landscaping.

This problem which should be resolved by the opening of The Greyhound, Sainsbury's and the other commercial unit.