Puerto Mexico - Ariba ariba!!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Greg Whitehead wrote:Am I the only person who thinks a few sofa's slung here and there, a restrained refurb and a coffee machine and hey presto! Another thriving ABC1 business and the coffee shop we have oft dreamed of?
This now the subject of a new thread "New Coffee Bar for Sydenham". Please post stuff about that there: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1082

Reply here for posts about Puerto Mexico.

Admin
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Perhaps Gordon could pay a visit in a new series of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares?
orgone

Post by orgone »

<rant>
Stopped by last Saturday and walked right out at light speed. What a disaster. 'Guantanamera' at full blast, huge emphasis on drinks (typical for phony tex-mex dives) and quiet possibly the most disgusting food menu i've ever seen in a Mexican restaurant. In fact, the way Mexican food is portrayed in London generally is horrible. No other cuisine has to put up with constant idiotic 'fun food' characterisations (even the Guardian did it). I'd like to see how an Italian place where they make you put on little moustaches and talk-a-like-a-this-a when you order would fare. Fact is, there are probably only 4 real Mexican restaurants in London: Mercado in Stoke Newington (absolutely brilliant), Taqueria in Notting Hill (assoc. with The Cool Chile Co, who sell Mexican ingredients there and at Borough Market), Mestizo on Hampstead Road (bit too mock-posh for my liking, but good food) and (reputedly) Green&Red in Bethnal Green that do anything like real Mexican food, which can be as complex and varied as any other world cuisine. Everything else i've ever encountered is utterly unworthy of the name. I encourage anyone interested in Mexican food to try one of them and give Tex-Mex a shun. </rant>
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I don't think anyone who saw the outside of PM would mistake it for an authentic mexican restaurant :wink:
Helen T

Post by Helen T »

Walking past the Puerto Mexican, engulfed in noxious fumes, what are they burning? I thought we we're going smoke free. As for authenticity, the tumbleweeds emanating from the Golden Lion finished off the themed night.
JVFoods

Post by JVFoods »

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me.........

We supply Mexi restuarants around the country and we've had a cheque bounced on us for over £600. We're trying to find out who the owner is. Could someone take a look at who the acohol licence which is above the front door and tell us who it is issued to.

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Colin (JV Foods Limited)
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

JVFoods wrote:Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me.........

We supply Mexi restuarants around the country and we've had a cheque bounced on us for over £600. We're trying to find out who the owner is. Could someone take a look at who the acohol licence which is above the front door and tell us who it is issued to.

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Colin (JV Foods Limited)
I am certain someone will forward that information to you, if you donate something towards the running of this site 8)
soulfood

Post by soulfood »

I certainly won't be eating there. Mexican food in this country has long been an excuse for heavy drinking and the sort of food people don't mind hurling up later that evening. Orgone sites some fantastic new examples that have graced london, to which I'd add the very reasonably prices Beach Burrito Cafe on Berwick Market in Soho (currently being refurbed and extended to Fulham), which offers fantastic carnitas burritos with lashings of sour cream and other genuinely sourced ingredients. This new gaff, on the other hand, does nothing for Sydenham. It's the equivalent of Nandos or TGIFridays opening up. "Destination restaurants" I think they're called in the press - implying a paint job, sofas and comedy hats are more important than the food. As my moniker suggests, I couldn't disagree more.
clo

fab night out and lovely food

Post by clo »

Well, i have to say i think this is just what sydenham needed, lively restaurant, tasty food, large choice on the menu and reasonably priced! been there twice since it opened, can't complain, portion sizes were good, alcohol wasn't expensive and the service was attentive and friendly, look forward to when the top section opens up!! :D
PJWSON

Great

Post by PJWSON »

Went there on Saturday night again. Yet again the staff where fantastic, could not have done more, very attentive and polite.
Some people on this forum want the Ritz in Sydenham, going by what has been posted on here. " ohh the colour on the outside of the building is very loud"
PLEASE get a life or move to Mayfair.

Thanks Puerto Mexico.
See you soon

Pjwson :D
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Hi all

I have to confess to being a bit of an ignoramous when it comes to Mexican food. Quesadillas are usually all that I will order if forced into a Mexican restaurant and I have tried them at Puerto Mexico (I was desperate for lunch and the Dolphin's Hog Roast meant I could not eat there).

Can someone give me some good examples of yummy Mexican food and can you eat healthily in a proper Mexican restaurant? I would need to be properly encouraged if I were to try Mexican again as I have been told by those that haev visited Mexico that they found the food farily disappointing.

Cx
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Whyhavethey made it look so bad? I have been to Mexico and Latin American a number of times, whatthey have on the menu thereisn't anywhere near Authentic 'Mexican'. Mexican and latin american food done well is incredible.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I used to go a lot when it was the Meze place but regret that now in a way as although it was cheaper than The Lokal and some of the food was better in my opinion, the atmosphere at The Lokal was much better. Although I did like the fact that lots of Turkish people ate at the meze place. We now go to Meze Mangal on Lewisham Way which is a bit of a trek.

We haven't tried the Mexican place yet and to be honest we keep umming and ahing about it because of the mixed comments from people. We tried the one in Beckenham a few months ago and it was dreadful. Anyone else tried it? I suppose the one in Sydenham will be worth trying with a group of people which in my experience is usually the best way in a Tex Mex place.
orgone

my latest 2p

Post by orgone »

Update to the "What's Best For You So Listen Up Mexican Restaurant Guide": Newish Wahaca (sic) in Covent Garden is very good. It's a tapas-y place like that place in Notting Hill, but they have an interesting selection of small plates (and brilliant refriolitos - essential) and prices aren't too exorbitant for CG. Gets pretty packed with longish waits and it's also as loud as any other CG place, but i was very satisfied with the food and the servers were nice and helpful.

And, yeah, i'd love to move to Mayfair - what are real estate prices like there? Course, i'd probably hate the neighbours (and them me), unlike around here.
poppy

Mexican

Post by poppy »

Tex mex seems so dated now. I used to love it in the 90s. I had hoped to try it out when it was a meze place but hadn't lived here long when it closed and reopened in its present carnation. And was pretty disappointed when I saw what it had changed to actually. Does it have new owners or did the current owners think going Mexican would revive it or something? I would love it if a really good tapas bar opened here.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The problem with Tex Mex is that they are nothing like the real thing and are all basically the same. Nachos generally are a packed of Doritos with some melted cheese on the top in this country. I want to try Wahaca as it seems an interesting variation in the theme. It would be nice to have a bit more quality eating in the high street so you have a good reason to go there in the evening.

Oh, if ONLY the cinema was still there!
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Whatever the food is like, we could see the arrival of a Mexican restaurant as an omen that Sydenham High Street is following Lordship Lane.

A good omen or bad omen depending on your point of view.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Judging by the way it looks its more new cross than East Dulwich.

I have been in t here and the service was good and the food isn't bad, it's just not great either and it's not cheap.

Out of interest, what do people have against Lordship lane? Aren't most of the shops there individual local places?
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think the guy who owned and ran the Meze place was involved in the Mexican place right at the very beginning but didn't hang around for long
poppy

Mexican

Post by poppy »

Did anyone hear the feature on 'real' Mexican food on Radio Four today? I wonder if they are using our forum for story ideas? I think a lot of us would like Sydenham high street to attract more upmarket independent businesses but from looking at the ED forum its transformation has, how can I put it, attracted some rather snobbish people to the area, and because it has so many pubs lots and lots of young people are starting to come into to ED from quite far away and that of course can bring some anti-social behaviour and noise problems, esp, if you live near LL.