B&Q

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tomc

B&Q

Post by Tomc »

After the opening of the new b&Q I was wondering if people actually plan on using it or if you feel we need it with a paint shop and a hardware shop that both provide an adequate service does anyone think that there is a need for it or will you continue to use your local shops?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Re: B&Q

Post by stuart »

At least it is preferable to the overpriced and 'we have everything except in the size you need' Homebase and breaks their virtual monopoly in the area.

But yes, I try and use Sydenham DIY first. For fixings and stuff like that they are usually much cheaper and sell in quantities you need.

Stuart
dickp

Post by dickp »

It'll mean I'm slightly less likely to go to B&Q Croydon..unless I'm on a mass Purley Way trawl, in which case Croydon B&Q it is.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Avoid these warehouse stores like the plague.

Sydenham DIY Rules.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Nope. I only use them as last resort. Sydenham DIY is a brilliant little shop.

jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

Agree that Sydenham DIY is a great shop and that the owner is knowledgeable and helpful, but the other guys working there are clueless IMO.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

And the paint shop if you like. Small town centre retailers should be supported.

Leave the giant retail hangers to the chavs. Plenty of them in the sava centre already.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:Small town centre retailers should be supported.
Why?

I support good retailers whether they be small and local, in sheds or even online.
Does that a chav maketh me? (or, according to others, being hypocritically pompous? I do get confused)

One has to be honest a lot of retailers are pretty hopeless. That's one reason they are small and local. Should one not support failure or those that do bad? Whoops my moral compass is showing again :wink:

Stuart
hillman

Post by hillman »

I shop at the Savacentre every now and again. But I am most certainly not a chav; I work as a well paid professional, but I choose to go there for selection. I also go to Sydenham DIY, The Penge International Food Centre, and various other local shops. Amazing, Eagle, its people like you with your stupid assumptions which make this world a poorer place. So what if people choose to shop in larger shops? It doesn't make them less perfect than you. What do you expect, for them to all close down? I also shop in the Kirkdale Tesco, as I have often brought milk and other products from Costcutter, which has been of less quality. Do you expect us all to shop for lower quality products then?
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

Eagle wrote:And the paint shop if you like. Small town centre retailers should be supported.
I'd have supported my small DIY store if they'd have helped me out when I was locked out, but alas not even a loan of a ladder... :(
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

we don't have a car so have to rely on when relatives are around to give us a lift to/from DIY stores for large puchases, and these are usually at the place in Penge (near Crystal Palace park - is that Homebase or B&Q?), or the one south of Catford, or Wickes - but if it's small stuff that I can cycle or walk to get I'll go to Sydenham DIY, or to Shannons - Forest Hill Nursery/Garden Centre, just north/west of the double bend in Stansted Rd.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Back to the point - my main hope is that Sydenham DIY is not affected . B and Q are rubbish and really don't offer anything apart from everything you don't really want , in not the right size or quantity, under one roof.
Without wishing to outrage certain individuals on this forum , I think we have a responsibility to our local shops as they do to us . If you want only a choice of B and Q and homebase then go and shop there - simple . If you want a plurality then support the locals .
I know at least one poster gets a bit giggly at the term "moral compass" but I believe as adults we should consider how we spend our money and the effect it has. I would be disgusted to be called liberal but nobody giggled at the idea of not buying wine from South Africa during the apartheid period - I don't directly compare but anyone capable of some degree of abstraction can see some parallel . It would be interesting to know the buying patterns of the pro-choice brigade - and whether they see other people's whining about sweatshops, deforestation , child labour as an attack on their right to shop.
Good afternoon
Nigel

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Nigel.

Support our own High Street shops or lose them.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel wrote: I would be disgusted to be called liberal but nobody giggled at the idea of not buying wine from South Africa during the apartheid period - I don't directly compare but anyone capable of some degree of abstraction can see some parallel . It would be interesting to know the buying patterns of the pro-choice brigade - and whether they see other people's whining about sweatshops, deforestation , child labour as an attack on their right to shop.
Boycotting South African goods is a good example of what some of us will do with our right to shop - we use it to send a message, along with purely verbal expressions of disapproval. All part of a liberal society, and definitely a good thing. It gets trickier when you want to restrict other people's right to shop, although there are some cases where it can be justified - e.g. the current sanctions on buying Iranian oil.

The issue for loyal customers of Sydenham DIY, such as Nigel and myself, is whether we help the business more by simply telling people about the good service it provides, or by trying to browbeat people into going there rather than B&Q.
Last edited by Tim Lund on 6 Aug 2013 19:49, edited 3 times in total.
perryman

Post by perryman »

I thought I'd have a quick walk around B&Q on the weekend since I was going to the savacentre anyway.
Luckily they gave me a flavour of what was inside by belting out the most nauseating music from 6 foot speakers outside the door, so I fled.

Bring back the gas works!
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:And the paint shop if you like. Small town centre retailers should be supported.

Leave the giant retail hangers to the chavs. Plenty of them in the sava centre already.
Erm!... How would you know that there are plenty of Chavs in the Savacentre without going in
there yourself Eagle?......Maybe you have been frequenting Savacentre in disguise!! :lol: :lol:

Agree with supporting smaller local shops as long as they provide good service and the things we
need when we need them! Possibly room for both big and small - 2 different markets! :wink:
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

What is the savacentre??

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

JulietP wrote:What is the savacentre??

This place JulietP: http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1162/66892.php
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Aaah, thanks. I've been wondering about that for ages!

Pengelad

Post by Pengelad »

It makes me laugh when people make things like this yes I agree we should support our local shops and everything else but just think how many jobs B&q has created for this area could Sydenham DIY offer this many jobs ??? I think not this country is in its worst unemployment status for ages and company's like b&q are helping people out I for one will use them as I found it great to have in the area and think the staff there are brilliant and yes I will continue to use Sydenham DIY as well but they just don't have everything I need sometimes ! I think you small narrow minded people really need to grow up ! If I didn't know better I'd say you all work in Sydenham DIY laugh out loud. But in all fairness I don't see the harm of it it's created jobs and money in the area that we all live in I think it's a win win !