Living on Peak hill

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ria

Living on Peak hill

Post by Ria »

Hi,
We are planing to buy a masionette in one of the terraced houses on Peak Hill (beginig of the rd). We would like to know a little bit more about the area in general...if anyone knows any historical information about houses there that would be great.
Thanks a lot!
Robin Orton

Re: Living on Peak hill

Post by Robin Orton »

From Lewisham Council's website:
Thomas Campbell, 1777-1844
A poet and man of letters, he was born in Glasgow but settled from 1804 to 1821 in a house on Peak Hill, Sydenham, the site of which is now occupied by 91 Peak Hill. One of his best known works Gertrude of Wyoming, was written there. He was one of the founders of London University in 1826, and is buried in Poets’ Corner, Westminster Abbey.
Amongst his other once well-known verses are 'Ye mariners of England' ('The meteor flag of England/ Shall yet terrific burn;/ Till danger's troubled night depart/ And the star of peace return'); 'Hohenlinden'; 'The Soldier's Dream'; and 'Lord Ullin's Daughter.'
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Robin,

I think the OP was looking for something a little bit more now!

Transport links, shopping and places to go out etc.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

She asked for historical information about houses in Peak Hill.
Ria

Post by Ria »

Thanks guys, any kind of information on Peak hill and surrounding area would be greatly appreciated. Robin I like that about Thomas Campbell, my extended family are Scottish so they will also like this :)
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Robin Orton wrote:She asked for historical information about houses in Peak Hill.
Not when I've had 6 pints of ESB :lol:
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Only thing I can think of is the morning and mid afternoon traffic and brief parking intensity of school drop off and pick up for St. Bart's School. Mind you, both St. Bart's and Lewisham council are pushing hard for more walking and less driving which is paying off.

- Paul.