Lights at Mayow Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
coll

Lights at Mayow Road

Post by coll »

Does anyone know if they are going to attempt to retime the lights on the corner of Mayow and Sydenham Road. The green light from Mayow is 8 seconds. That seems to be morning, noon and night. It seems a bit short and I have noticed in the past few weeks that during heavy traffic times is causing people to drive unsafely to get through. Surely they could make it a bit more of a realistic amount of time. No?
hairybuddha

Re: Lights at Mayow Road

Post by hairybuddha »

coll wrote:during heavy traffic times is causing people to drive unsafely
I think you may have misdiagnosed the problem.

I really like the simultaneous green for pedestrians that they have put in though. Very civilised.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I live on Mayow Road and use that junction every day, from mid-morning through the evening. I haven't noticed the tailbacks being any longer than normal, although I'm not there in the morning rush hour. It seems to me that traffic moves more quickly when turning left because there are two lanes. However, you do get tailbacks in the right turning lane when Sydenham Road itself is backed up, rather than because of the lights. And it was ever thus. It used to be regularly backed up as far as the vets for this very reason. The good thing now is that left-turners like me don't get stuck in it.

The whole junction is more civilised now. As a pedestrian I really appreciate not having to go around in a square, waiting for several sequences of lights, when I want to reach the Golden Lion side from the left-hand pavement.

coll - If you really feel the light is too short, let tfl know.
coll

Post by coll »

hairybuddha wrote:
I think you may have misdiagnosed the problem.
Not exactly sure what that means but I'll leave it...
I have seen cars rushing the lights, pushing in from right lane to left and visa versa and all types of aggressive behaviour to make it through. I agree the light are MUCH better but surely 15 seconds of green light coming from Mayow Rd. would help.

I live on Mayow also have seen pretty long back ups.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I have to agree I've seen some bad behaviour at the new lights, partly because there are now two lanes. When the traffic is backed up on Sydenham Road and people near the front of the queue realise they aren't going to get through, they do last minute lane changes, something that was harder to do with the old layout. The other day I saw one car in the left hand lane turn right and one in the right hand lane turn left AT THE SAME TIME. They had to do a little dance around each other. So I think people have more opportunity to behave badly with the new layout.

Having said that, the lights leaving Mayow are much, much shorter than the ones for Sydenham Road and then we have to wait for the all green-man sequences. The green man is pretty short too, but I think people are used to the old system and are watching the lights on Sydenham go red and expect to get a green out of Mayow straight away.