WHAT IF 21: BARAKAH

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We were approached by the owners of Barakah after giving a talk at a local traders group to look at their shop front.

You can see it and read more about it here:

This is the before and after:

We got one of their mailers through the door a long time ago and were seduced by it’s uncoated paper and smart black and orange livery. It felt quality, something rather different to the usual glossy, over complicated rubbish that falls through our letterbox. We kept the menu and when the food turned up we were pleased to note that the quality of the food matched the expectation.

It was some while later when we realised that the place we were ordering from was a 5 minute walk from our front door and looked nothing like any of the marketing material that they were sending out.

So the job here would be simple. Make their shop look like the brand they send out to thousands of homes in the area and make it reflect the surprisingly good quality food that they send out. So we have used their logo and colours.

A bit of black paint, a re-skinned light box in black and orange and some new window vinyls and black brick tiles to tidy up the stall risers can make a huge difference.

Before it looked tired and didn’t match their brand. But What If…

If you haven’t tried them, give them a go: http://www.barakah-se26.co.uk
Last edited by leenewham on 19 Sep 2013 15:38, edited 7 times in total.
Tim Lund

Re: WHAT IF 21: BARAKAH

Post by Tim Lund »

Better not to link to the admin log in. Here you go

http://whatifsydenham.wordpress.com/201 ... 1-bakarah/

Looks good - of course :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks Tim, it's been amended!
art4

Post by art4 »

Looks great Lee
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thankyou.
mosy

Post by mosy »

.. No longer relevant
Last edited by mosy on 18 Sep 2013 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Eh? If you click on the link in the post it takes you straight to the 'what if' on the blog.

I'm not sure who you managed to get to a book shop. Did anyone else get through to a book shop?

There is a link on the post to their website. I'm not sure why you are confused Mosy.

Is anyone else confused?
mosy

Post by mosy »

.. No longer relevant
Last edited by mosy on 18 Sep 2013 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

No, I managed to get straight through to your site Lee.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
art4

Post by art4 »

I don't understand how a link can be inaccurate if you can access it? I can
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks for pointing out the typo most. Sorry, I mean mosy. ;-)

I'm still unsure why you you ended up looking at a book shop and were confused.

I'm glad no-one else seems confused and thanks to everyone else for the positive feedback and messages.

Please note, this and other posts refer to Mosy's posts which have now been deleted, which sort of messes up this thread unfortunately.

So, going back to the original post, what if…
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Just re-edited post.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Whilst not understanding the some of these posts at all, I just want to say amazing work Lee. I think this is a really impressive transformation. Very classy. Would fit seamlessly into a posh Knightsbridge street scene and makes me want to eat there ... and non Knightsbridge prices too! Wins all round!

JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I've always wondered exactly the same: why the professional and classy branding on the flyers isn't carried through to the restaurant. The website is pretty dire too! Great curry though. :-)

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I met with them and it was really positive.

They are waiting for their landlord to sort out the shop front for access to the flats above, so this may take some time before it becomes a reality.

What was interesting was that customers had told them that it was on the forum, actually phoning them up to tell them about it. Feedback on this forum (and others) does make a difference.

It's great that the public in Sydenham has supported the 'What If' initiative.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

That is a clever change. Cool
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Good work Lee yet again.

You know what could do with a better frontage ... the health food store (even the fact that I can't remember the name of it is good enough reason). It's green. It's got great products in there - a little delicatessen and brilliant bread. But to all intents and purposes it just doesn't look that inviting. Do you know the one I mean.

Do a 'what if' on that.

That's an order!
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I agree about the classy flyer and tired shop front being slightly at odds. Lots of people probably order delivery option so aren't aware of and put off by the exterior. And they shouldn't be as the food is amazing.

Great curry and everybody I have told about it has gone on to become a loyal customer. I lived near Barakah when they first opened and we ordered one on opening night. It was the first curry my sister had that didn't make her lips swell up in an allergic reaction (this usually happens when she has Indian or Chinese). The colours in all the dishes were so natural too. My sister makes sure we order one whenever she visits me from Bedfordshire, although that could be saying more about my cooking skills :?

Hopefully this classy redesign will be realised in the not to distant future then.