WHAT IF 20: STATION APPROACH

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
love-sydenham

Re: WHAT IF 20: STATION APPROACH

Post by love-sydenham »

I understand that the timing on the sign is just approximate example, but it is actually:

Sydenham - London Bridge 17 min
Sydenham - Victoria 31 min
Sydenham - Shoreditch High Street 25 min (I believe it is more like 27 min) :-)

Have a nice day ;-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Post by stuart »

Sydenham - London Bridge will be more like 5 years (to 2018) when the rebuilding really takes root. Particularly weekends.

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

OK Lee

When I first saw this, I didn't get it, and I didn't like the retro look. But looking again, I register that you are picking up the style of the two existing signs below (not the Property World one) and the existing architectural detail. This I like a lot.

How about repeating the pattern of white then yellow background colours - I think that would bring them together more. I think you could drop the text in cursive script, and the times you give - a bit of a hostage to fortune, although I can see that the vintage look is there, maybe, to allow these times not always to be those of the current timetables
Maria

Post by Maria »

Well, I'm sitting here studiously trying to write something constructive and thoughtful but failing miserably.

I love it. I think it looks great on the building. Showing the times seems to me a particularly humorous (and strongly symbolic) image. Brilliant colour. Elegant arrow. etc

(....just shame about the Gymophobics (spllng?) sign which now seems even uglier to me)
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

I absolutely love your design, it looks fabulous.

I'm not a design person at all but I also really like all the constructive criticism on this, I'm sure it's to your (and our) benefit

It's a Wonderfully positive thread. Lovely. :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I will take feedback on board and amend designs when I get a spare moment and report back via this and other forum and the what if blog.

Thanks to all that have been both constructive and supportive.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

A vast improvement Lee. Also I'm a fan of the retro look although not the "distressed" option as that ends up looking neglected and may invite graffiti.
Please NO light boxes. They just look tacky and please this is not an invitation for everyone to send in images of "fab" light boxes. Let's preserve our Victorian architecture where possible.
Re destinations I think Victoria is irrelevant when you can get there in 18mins from Penge East. Rather put Canada Water or Canary Wharf via Canada Water. That is more relevant on the Overground now.

stuart

Post by stuart »

Steveofsyd wrote:Re destinations I think Victoria is irrelevant when you can get there in 18mins from Penge East.
Except only those that don't have to walk the full length of Venner Road will get any significant benefit. Plus a major counter benefit of Sydenham is it is the last station in zone 3 making it financially more attractive than Penge.

Stuart
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Very true re the zone thing....had forgotten about that.

Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Looks great and it highlights that this is in fact a beautiful building. Draws attention to local businesses and hopefully will make more people aware of the great coffee to go from On the Hoof (especially to bus users). Any other local business that wanted to pay towards the cost & have a panel designed in a similar vein (with or without distressed effect) should surely be bidding now as it is in such a prime location.

I can see how some people might be confused by the retro design but I think most would agree that it looks much better & is clearer than what is already there. It is also commonly used now in packaging/branding as a tool to give a nod to the history/heritage of a brand/shop etc - well Sydenham Station is an old building unlike Forest Hill. It is also much better looking IMO than a standard London Transport type info sign (which is probably in the actual station).

If anyone hasn't seen the beautiful exhibition of poster art from the London Transport Museum then they should take a visit and perhaps realise that what Lee is doing is trying to keep that link between London Underground and great design :wink:
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/exhibitions
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

stuart wrote:
Steveofsyd wrote:Re destinations I think Victoria is irrelevant when you can get there in 18mins from Penge East.
Except only those that don't have to walk the full length of Venner Road will get any significant benefit. Plus a major counter benefit of Sydenham is it is the last station in zone 3 making it financially more attractive than Penge.

Stuart
I think the final list of destinations could be hashed out once this is a bit further down the line (no pun intended). And I think North and Southbound could become equally as relevent - Canada Water (for Canary Wharf), Highbury & Islington (for quick access to north London and Victoria Line), Hoxton & Shoreditch High St for the hip shops/markets and Geffrye museum.......East/West Croydon for big shops, Westfield which will be coming soon and great connections to the south, Gatwick, Brighton etc
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I used to work in Battersea and loved going 'the wrong way' to work in the morning, getting a seat every time and a commute of about 30 minutes train to door, plus the zone 3 bit was great too. But I think the destinations are all up for grabs.

Just another note on the maintenance issue, these murals last about 20+ years in good condition and still look good many many decades into the future (we've worked on a few of public art projects and with signwriters/mural artists now) and and when they do peel a little, they age with dignity and actually look rather good. In another area we have used some of the posters Hannah posted above (which I think are beautiful) as public art, which is being recreated by a mural artist in Northwood Hills. We also used it on local branding, murals and bags for life (the area originated as Metroland so we updated Metroland tube posters). It's gone down really well. The sign for Sydenham is actually based on bits of some of the posters from the era of the building in Station Approach that we saw in the recent poster exhibition in the London Transport Museum (it made sense when combined with the branding for On The Hoof).

The main issue I think is about the times, making them a little free'r, say 'London bridge in under 19 minutes' makes more sense. Anyway, there are a few things to address. Keep the comments coming.

Oh, and Steve, lightboxes can look good in the right circumstances, context and design (we have done a few in our time), but I agree, this building isn't one of them.

Be patient on the updates though, we have a mountain of stuff over the next few weeks coming up!