The Dolphin

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SAF

The Dolphin

Post by SAF »

Just seen this, which is quite interesting.

http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com/children.html
Eagle

Re: The Dolphin

Post by Eagle »

Well Done Dolphin. I applaud this policy which I hope they make sure is complied with.

Certainly encourage me to visit them.

It is the one problem I have with the Moon and Stars , best pub in the area for beer , they have feral children running about .

Apart from being a danger with hot food being carried about , it is uber annoying
marymck

Post by marymck »

Good. I think it's important that they've set out a clear policy. I think that should make everyone happy.

Though I think 7.30 to 8 is a fairer cut off, except during special events such as theatre. Children need to eat early if getting a good night's sleep, and that means adults can still come in to eat at 8, rather than having to have a late supper if they want a child free environment.

One thing still confuses me though. During the recent heated debate on here, the OP said that the Dolphin had a children's menu. But the Dolphin now say not. Did they just quietly drop it?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mary
I have no idea about a child's menu.

Personally I think the idea of special food for children is a major negative of today's society.

In my day as soon as you were on solid food you had the same meal as my parents , but smaller amount. Let us face it children are not a separate species.

I agree earlier cut of point ideal but most important NO LEAVING TABLE.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mary
I believe from memory the posts that were shut down were from fishcake. He seemed to take violent exception to his offspring not being allowed to run mild in the Dolphin Garden.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle wrote:Mary
I believe from memory the posts that were shut down were from fishcake. He seemed to take violent exception to his offspring not being allowed to run mild in the Dolphin Garden.
I love the idea of running mild! (Just joking. Of course I know it's just a typo. Unlike telly's habit of warning us "the next programme contains mild or moderate language")

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mary
Sorry about typo. I do not think they serve a decent mild.Or did not when I last visited.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

He didn't say they were running wild Beagle. No-one did. Well, except you.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well done Dolphin, I like rules,;0))

art4

Post by art4 »

I wished the Dolphin would allow dogs on a lead even if it meant only using the garden.

Instead after a long walk particularly at weekends we opt to choose a pub lunch outside of Sydenham. But really would prefer to keep local and like the Dolphin.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

art4, please no! Again, not everyone loves other people's Dogs, as nice as they may be, just like other people's Children, you may love them, but some don't, I am pleased to see the Dolphin has laid out their rules. Hopefully they will add a "No Dogs " allowed rule too.
Except those for the blind that is.

art4

Post by art4 »

Don't worry they have a No Dog policy in place.

If a dog though is well behaved, kept on a lead then surely it can sit quietly under the table or at least be in the garden?

The no dog rule also influences to a degree where we shop too. Can go into most shops in Dulwich or on the Kings Rd but not many places in SE26. Forest Hill is more relaxed.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I love Dogs and Children Art4 but I don't think a Pub is the place for them,as for taking dogs into shops, not very Hygienic is it? We all know how much they love to lick their under carriage! ( trying to be polite) you know the things men are always scratching! ;0)) ) then they like to lick your face! Err no thanks.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's why we go to the Paxton in Gypsy Hill. It's a really good, family friendly pub with good food too, and it has a secluded play area. There is another brilliant pub nearby in Dulwich (the Rosendale) that is along similar lines with an even better play area.

The Dolphin was great when they had the street food outside. We really enjoyed it, as did our son (who is almost 2). It felt very family friendly and happy with everyone having a good time of all ages. It was the best time we have had there actually with an amazing vibe.

By the way Annie, I've never scratched any dogs under carriage and I certainly haven't licked anyones face. Well, not sober anyway ;-)
art4

Post by art4 »

Annie. wrote:I love Dogs and Children Art4 but I don't think a Pub is the place for them,as for taking dogs into shops, not very Hygienic is it? We all know how much they love to lick their under carriage! ( trying to be polite) you know the things men are always scratching! ;0)) ) then they like to lick your face! Err no thanks.

I do realise that people's opinions differ on this subject.

But somewhere like a very spacious gastro pub with huge garden could be missing out on sector of trade when there is a no dog policy. It counts us out plus our friends and would otherwise visit regularly.

So it's Gypsy Hill, E Dulwich, Dulwich Village, Herne Hill instead.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

leenewham wrote:That's why we go to the Paxton in Gypsy Hill. It's a really good, family friendly pub with good food too, and it has a secluded play area. There is another brilliant pub nearby in Dulwich (the Rosendale) that is along similar lines with an even better play area.

The Dolphin was great when they had the street food outside. We really enjoyed it, as did our son (who is almost 2). It felt very family friendly and happy with everyone having a good time of all ages. It was the best time we have had there actually with an amazing vibe.

By the way Annie, I've never scratched any dogs under carriage and I certainly haven't licked anyones face. Well, not sober anyway ;-)

That's what they all say Lee ;0))

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Let those with feral children go to the Paxton and leave the Dolphin to well behaved , seated , children and adults.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There were no feral children at the Paxton any time I've been. Nor at the dolphin.

I hope you weren't suggesting that my son, or anyone's children on this forum are 'feral' eagle.

I think you should make that clear.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee
I am sure your children are very well behaved. If you thought I implied otherwise I apologise.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Children's menu is stupid. Children's portions, not menus. Let them eat the same as us big folk.