WHAT IF 22: CLASSIC TROPHIES in KIRKDALE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

WHAT IF 22: CLASSIC TROPHIES in KIRKDALE

Post by leenewham »

This was another shop that approached us after the traders group meeting. We had never been in the shop before and it’s rather beautiful with lots of original features. I’d implore anyone living in Sydenham to pop in and have a look, it’s an absolute local treasure.

We think a shop called Classic Trophies deserves a classic shop front. Read more about it and see the visuals here:
http://whatifsydenham.wordpress.com/201 ... -trophies/
leenewham

Re: WHAT IF 22: CLASSIC TROPHIES in KIRKDALE

Post by leenewham »

This is the before and after:

We had never been in the shop before and it's rather beautiful with lots of original features. I'd implore anyone living in Sydenham to pop in and have a look, it's an absolute local treasure.

The outside doesn't really do it justice. The shop front is nice with a traditional awning. It's actually two shops in one.

Making the shop front calmer and making it feel like it's been around a long time while acting as a frame for the window displays also makes the shop name stand out. For the trophy signage this would look great if gilt and engraved. The awning is a great opportunity to show that there are two shops in one, which is why it has the large ampersand.

So from purple to sophisticated shop with original features. What if…
chrism

Post by chrism »

Very nice, Lee. What has the feedback been? Are either going to take up the offer and redo their shop fronts?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I haven't been in to show them yet, I thought I'd get some feedback first so they have the benefit of some local market research.

It's really up to them whether they do it. Both said they wanted to, so fingers crossed.

There is another one on it's way.
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

Great design, Lee. Really hope that they will go for it. :)
mosy

Post by mosy »

What does it look like in truly classic British Racing Green" (the existing colour backing the names)? Especially if the lettering is to be gold. Taupe colour more resembles a primer or undercoat colour rather than a classic "winning" colour to me I'm afraid. The raised scribed panels could be edged in black to give/emphasise a 3-D effect. The darkish green would be nice against the wood of the chippy next door and contrast well against the red on the larger Pavilion pub the other side of it.

Could the phone number(s) be on the fascia board for passing/queueing cars or people opposite? Any on-pavement parked cars outside obscure all lower information. Oh, and put the name back on the lip of the awning since when pulled out like today, other name indicators are largely obscured.

The residential door number, 323A, could be more discreetly shown on the actual entrance door and would help avoid confusion with a more prominent 323 shop number. Edit: Or is 323A the Cinderella entrance? Not clear as is.

The top right window panel that seems to have a mirror coating(?) could have words like:
"All Sports - contracts welcome(I presume they are for school sports days etc)
Weddings.........Anniversaries
Christenings.......Birthdays"
...to pull in gift custom for tankards and champagne flutes (do they do glass engraving?).

Please take these as genuine comments, hopefully helpful.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Looks great, though I agree that a slightly lighter colour would be more enticing... there's a fine line between traditional and old-fashioned.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

mosy wrote: What does it look like in truly classic British Racing Green" (the existing colour backing the names)? Especially if the lettering is to be gold. Taupe colour more resembles a primer or undercoat colour rather than a classic "winning" colour to me I'm afraid.
I like the 'taupe', if that's what it is. Discreet, understated, a bit old-fashioned - suggests a quality 'classic' product to me.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Mosy, I don't think I've ever met anyone who scrutinises things as closely as you do! I'm glad I'm not your cleaner! ;-)

OK, to answer your points: If you look at the blog it shows the awning out with the names on.
The 'lip' of the awning is really small as it has no valence (it's a traditional awning). It makes more sense to use the large canvas of the awning rather than the tiny strip of wood at the front.

It makes sense to use the stall riser (the lower panel below the window) for the name for people passing on the same side of the street as they wont be able to see the sign or the awning. Shops used to do this years ago but for some reason many don't today. People across the street will see the awning or the facia.

As for the number, they don't seem to have an issue with it now with people knocking on the flat thinking it's the business. I really don't think it's an issue but worth considering.

People don't read shop fronts. I'm against putting lots of copy on the fronts of shops, it clutters them so I'd strongly advise against putting copy in the windows. People will always ask if they do something, even if it's written outside. Stand in any newsagents for a few minutes and this is apparent! Trophies and engraving should be enough of a clue as to what they do.

It could work in lots of dark colours. I'm not opposed to dark british racing green. But if you look inside the shop and the dark wood, dusky colours just feel right. But you are right, it could be in another shade which I may show them when I go to see them.

With the phone number, I'd ask them how important it is and how they get their orders. I haven't moved it from where it currently is in the window. It's interesting that in polls, most people don't call numbers they see on shop facias because they don't remember them and many councils don't allow them to be displayed in their planning guidance. My advice as ever is to keep it simple and remove clutter. If passers by know where you are and what you are called, they will find your phone number. The street number of the shop is more important than the phone number (which is why we think 323 Kirkdale in the window is important!).
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi leenewham. Thank you for your reply. I don't scrutinise - they're just immediate first impressions rattled off as they came to me after I'd walked past (both sides of the road). I did however look on their website to see how much info it gave. I notice it hasn't been updated yet for The Railway pub's name change to The Pavilion which they quote as a landmark to pinpoint the location.

On phone numbers, I agree generally that they are not well remembered but many peeps just type numbers instantly into their mobile phones these days. Still, as you say, it's only clutter if not thought useful.

Good luck with your presentations.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I like the idea of racing green too, maybe with yellow accents like this

I've only been in there once years ago looking for a Softball Trophy with no luck but they were helpful and friendly, main thing they could improve on is getting some nice lighting on the trophies themselves especially in the window. Quite a unique shop with sports I had no idea you could win something for :)
marymck

Post by marymck »

I too like the idea of British Racing Green. I had a mini in that colour (in the days when minis really were minis) and I instantly have an emotional connection when I see that colour. For me, when I see that colour scheme, I think it's stylish, speaks of someone who values tradition (in a good way), high standards and quality. Plus the glory days of British raciing. It's classic and classy.

BTW Lee I can't seem to vote on your website. How do I do so please? Do I have to register to vote?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Mary,

you don't vote, although you can click the star if you like the post and you can leave comments (at the bottom of every post).

I will try British racing green and update post later this week when I get a chance.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and the kind words. i think this one will be a little like the one we did for Kente where it changed quote a bit due to peoples comments.

By the way Ronski, great picture of the Lotus, is to Jim Clark? It looks like the 68 car so it would have been his (sadly) last year of driving is it was him, unless it Graham Hill (both had the No5 I believe in 68). Jim was best driver of all time in my opinion, alongside Senna.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I really like the designs. My favourite is the one with the large "&" in the signage. I really like the colour & looks very regal & traditional with the lettering. Kind of gives the image of quality & reliability / been around for a while and can be trusted.

I went into this shop about 4 years ago on the off chance they could engrave something for a christening. Turns out they couldn't help but I was really taken aback by the shop features inside & also the customer service. The gentlemen who ran it was very helpful & knowledgeable. Apparently been there since the 60's i think. It was completely different to how I'd expected it from the outside.

I hope they keep their canopy though. It's one of the proper traditional ones & would go really well with the above designs.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks for all the feedback, I will hopefully tweak designs and see them over the next week and will report back shortly.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Ronski wrote:I like the idea of racing green too, maybe with yellow accents like this

I've only been in there once years ago looking for a Softball Trophy with no luck but they were helpful and friendly, main thing they could improve on is getting some nice lighting on the trophies themselves especially in the window. Quite a unique shop with sports I had no idea you could win something for :)
My late uncle was Team Manager for Lotus during the Jim Clark years.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Wow, in my view Jim Clarke was the best racing driver of all time.
elle

Post by elle »

Wow, I absolutely love this. I think the colour is gorgeous too- classic. These What Ifs are amazing Lee, it's really exciting seeing them :)