CRYSTAL PALACE PLANS TO BE UNVEILED

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

CRYSTAL PALACE PLANS TO BE UNVEILED

Post by leenewham »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24375547

Apparently there will be a year of consultation and design. If it's a replica, they have a design.

I used to be in favour of rebuilding the palace, but there are so many factors against it, I'm be horrified if this goes ahead. Its' such a shame that those that opposed to LDA plans for the park have basically opened the door for this to happen.

The palace needs to be recognised and celebrated in some way (it's shocking that one of the most important buildings ever created isn't), but unless a perfect in every detail replica is built, which I'm pretty positive just isn't possible today, we should revert back to the LDA plans which were far reaching, sensible and rather impressive.
Fruitbat

Re: CRYSTAL PALACE PLANS TO BE UNVEILED

Post by Fruitbat »

Terrible idea.
Already sensing a "combined with retail unit space" scenario. What else would they put in a massive glass structure?
dickp

Post by dickp »

Full plans here:

http://www.thelondoncrystalpalace.com

This really is one in the eye for everyone who campaigned against the cinema plan, the housing on the caravan park, and Crystal Palace Football club on the site of the old stadium.

But then, if you cause a prime site empty to be left empty for years due to planning wrangles, you can completely see why a public purse cost-free alternative appears so darned attractive. The law of unintended consequences, and all that....
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I think I'm with Lee on this - I think the LDA proposals were pretty good, paid due recognition to the immense historical significance of the park, and actually do have a decent conensus behind them.

My attitude towards this new idea depends a bit on whether there is a way the LDA proposals could get funded. If there is, then the new idea is an unwelcome distraction. If not, then I think don't think it should be dismissed out of hand.
dickp

Post by dickp »

It's a £500 million development, and the plans suggests the masterplan will pretty much be delivered within that. From memory, the basic park tidy-up would have cost £38million, and the expensive option £56 million - chicken feed, in terms of the overall costs.
michael

Post by michael »

I don't think we should dismiss out of hand any proposal that would bring a major new cultural centre to South East London. I think it would have a massive regeneration impact across a large area, particularly Penge, Sydenham, and Norwood.

Like the West Pier in Brighton, the absence of the Crystal Palace is a poor reminder of great times in the past. After 80 years I would love to see the Crystal Palace resurrected in some form, and for me that does not need to be the original construction materials.

But there are so many implications for a new Crystal Palace that need careful consideration, I'm not yet prepared to whole-heartedly support a project that I don't understand, but I think the overwhelming cynicism from south-east Londoners is a little disappointing given the potential massive cultural, infrastructure and economic benefits to the area that would result from / be required for any such project.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

leenewham wrote: I used to be in favour of rebuilding the palace, but there are so many factors against it, I'm be horrified if this goes ahead. Its' such a shame that those that opposed to LDA plans for the park have basically opened the door for this to happen.
Ha! Ring any bells?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No bells ringing here HB.

Having just read the report I'm opening my mind to this one:
http://www.thelondoncrystalpalace.com/u ... ighres.pdf

I don't think it's a terrible idea. It all depends on the detailing. I'd hate it to be a terrible pastiche of the palace. But on the other hand, it could be amazing. I'm willing to wait and see on this one. It also depends what they put in it. IT seems that the intention is for exhibition space rather than a shopping mall. Infact I don't know where people are getting the shopping mall part from.

One thing people are saying is about the increase in traffic.

We coped during the Olympics.
Crystal Palace copes when it hold track meets and concerts.
The South Banks copes with the huge amount of visitors to the Tate (which doesn't have car parks etc nearby and yet is one of the most visited attractions in the UK).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

On first glance this should be welcomed. Could bring a lot of prosperity to the area.
I would say that more details would be required.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I think it sounds like a great idea,I have always wanted to see the Crystal Palace rebuilt.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

so if ZhongRhong pay for the entire thing (construction of new palace, plus all the previously agreed masterplans for the park) - what are they getting out of it?

what do they know about the area that we don't?

Long term planning obviously for sometime after 2018 when it's finished, climate change raises sea levels, central London floods, and all elevated land becomes incredibly expensive?

Or are they just philanthropic?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They have sort of done this before. But in China: http://www.ibtimes.com/fake-europe-real ... how-700759

And they seem to be rather good at it.

A lot rides on what goes in it. We have some of the best museums in the world here. Many don't have enough space to show all their exhibits. So who knows (that's not a pun).
multisync

Post by multisync »

If China have the money to do this which obviously we don't then let them do it, At the end f the day it would bring more people and more prosperity to the area !!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Sounds great to me, albeit early days. Almost unbelievable in the sheer scale of investment which won't be coming from tax or council tax payers (as far as I can tell). There would have to be commercial elements, hopefully "in keeping". Hopefully also a "green" build or air conditioning, lighting/heating will cost a fortune. Nevertheless, It should be a building and terraces and park improvements worth having since I doubt it'd be an eyesore if it gets built sympathetically to the original.

The report (thanks dickp) mentions "various restrictions" (page 7) that need to be resolved if necessary. I hope too many hurdles won't mean they just walk away.
Does anyone know what "Active façades" (page 11) are?
What does translucent mean? Can't think it'd be plexiglass (acrylic). Wonder what they have in mind...

Might even have the tramline extension from East Croydon by then.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

I've always wanted the palace to be rebuilt again and I think it would be wonderful for Palace, Sydenham, Penge & Norwood. This part of London doesn't have any major attractions and I think its a shame. As for traffic I think most people would get the train just like they do for other attractions.

Hopefully it will get the tram extension back on the table again - maybe they could provide a bit of money towards it, like the developers of Battersea Power station are doing with the Northern line extension.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Just saw our Great Mayor plus the Chinese Gentlemen who are going to fund the project. It looks great , just like the original.

Afterall if it is on the same area as the original , it is a brown field site.

What a potential bonus for the area. Beats a new Tesco extra , or a revised Greyhound any day.

Let us hope Sydenham Society give their backing
multisync

Post by multisync »

Eagle wrote:Just saw our Great Mayor plus the Chinese Gentlemen who are going to fund the project. It looks great , just like the original.

Afterall if it is on the same area as the original , it is a brown field site.

What a potential bonus for the area. Beats a new Tesco extra , or a revised Greyhound any day.

Let us hope Sydenham Society give their backing

Don't see why they should object. Afterall it should bring life to the area, which is more than the Greyhound does.It is a b----- eyesore to the gateway to Sydenham, I don;t see them doing much in that direction !!
michael

Post by michael »

Likelife wrote:Hopefully it will get the tram extension back on the table again - maybe they could provide a bit of money towards it, like the developers of Battersea Power station are doing with the Northern line extension.
I'm not sure that a tram extension from Croydon to Crystal Palace would make much difference to most visitors. I think the real opportunity if the capacity of existing railways is not good judged to be good enough, would be to get a large contribution to the cost of a Bakerloo line extension underground linking Elephant and Castle to Peckham, Horniman, Upper Sydenham, Crystal Palace, Penge, and Beckenham.

Given the popularly of the Eden project, and the boost it has made to Cornwall tourism, I can imagine that a similar project in part of the palace would put South East London firmly on the tourist map.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Agree with all the positive messages above. The site has been neglected for years and the bonus of having the stadium etc regenerated is a huge bonus for our youth sports. Hopefully my young son will run in a shiny refurbished stadium one day
We're on the up folks.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Eagle wrote:Let us hope Sydenham Society give their backing
SydSoc Newsletter, Autumn 2013 wrote:the last thing local residents will want to see is a wealthy Chinese developer coming along to muddy peaceful water