Blue Mountain Cafe coming to Cobbs Corner!!!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
cappuccino

Blue Mountain Cafe coming to Cobbs Corner!!!

Post by cappuccino »

Great news!! I was speaking to one of our local estate agents the other day who told me that the Blue Mountain Cafe (you know, there's one already in North Cross Road in East Dulwich) is going to open up on the roundabout at Cobbs Corner opposite the Greyhound Pub. They've already painted the exterior their distinctive purpley/blue colour. I am soooo excited as this is exactly the type of place we need in Sydenham. It's been a long time coming I say. I'm always in Cafe Nero in Dulwich or Crystal Palace and will definately be a regular at the Blue Mountain Cafe whenever it opens. Can't wait!! :lol: :lol:

Good luck to the owners!!

Cappuccino xx
jw247r

Post by jw247r »

Yahoo !! This is exactly what this area needs - this can only boost property prices and improve the area further.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

When Zucker closed down I was gutted - it knocked 30 grand off the price of my flat overnight.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Anyone know what's happening to Zucker now? Something is going on inside... I'd hate to see their wooden shopfront go (like the Copper Kettle / Fat Boys Cafe opp the Dolphin).
sophie

Post by sophie »

Not sure exactly what is happening with Zucker. Heard rumours another cafe was opening but maybe plans on hold now because of Blue Mountain Cafe.

I liked the food and drink at Zucker but always thought they could have done more with the inside somehow. I didn't mind the mismatched furniture but I am sure they could have designed it in a better way.
poppy

Blue Mountain

Post by poppy »

I agree. The food in Zucker was ace - especially the homemade cakes. But it was far too small.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

The outside of the shopfront is being re-painted so it looks like it is staying.
TommyP

latte

Post by TommyP »

What great news about the new cafe. I look forward to it opening!

Good luck to the owners
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Interesting mix of reviews for another branch here
http://www.myvillage.com/southwark/rest ... untain.htm

I hope it proves friendly & wish it all the best, the highstreet could do with a mixture of places not just all day breakfasts.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Any news on when this is due to open? There's clearly activity going on, but no indication of when to expect a grand opening.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Anyone interested they do have a website:-

http://www.bluemo.co.uk
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I've just received a flyer through my front door, announcing that Blue Mountain is due to open 30 October. Looking forward to it.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I assume that they managed to get the restriction lifted, so they can sell products with meat in them, which was originally imposed when Dewhurst the butcher left the premises and moved up Kirkdale?

I wanted to open a pizzeria there a couple of years ago, but that was one of the deterring factors.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

It certainly looks like it, fishcox. The flyer says they will have "a deli offering ...cheeses, antipasti, salami, hams..."
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

In that case, I will be in there for a Saturday morning fry up (if it's as good as the one they have in East Dulwich). Nice one.
user100

Post by user100 »

Hope this place lives up to our hopes.

Regarding the reviews in:

http://www.myvillage.com/southwark/rest ... untain.htm

Maybe I am a bit suspicious by nature, but the few reviews that are good seem to be pretty OTT gushing reviews, the rest are pretty negative.

Surely they wouldn't get their mates to insert reviews would they?

Or am I just being evil? :twisted:
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Well, according to their website they've were voted best coffee shop in London in last year's LBC Living London Awards. That would take rather a large number of friends, I suspect.
user100

Post by user100 »

Yes, that's true. I can't figure it out, as its hard to square that with the large number of negative / very negative reviews.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see when it opens, hope LBC are right and that it is the best in London !
sean

Sydenham not Soho

Post by sean »

I am deeply disappointed by my experience in this new cafe. I decided to take a business partner on Tuesday for something to eat. Not seeing any indication on the black board what was on sale I asked at the counter and was informed that yes there was a menu but the majority of the food on it was unavailable. Finally the menu arrived but only because someone not related to the food side of things acquired it for me.

We proceeded and orders two cups of tea which came to £3. I find it difficult to understand why even the simplest product as a cup of tea was so highly priced when you think of how many other places there are to eat and drink on the same street – at reasonable prices. Given the choice of 60p to £1.50 I know where I will be going. We watched the waitress collect our teas from behind the counter and walk straight out on the street to the patio area. You can sit on the patio and indeed "watch the world go by" and while enjoying this new attraction you can also take in their fumes. After spending two minutes standing on the street looking endlessly at the group of mothers and toddlers that were enjoying the sites on the patio area she decided to re-enter the café. Finally we received our two overpriced and undersized tea and sat there drinking what was now cold tea.

Examining the menu we decided that it wasn’t worth taking out a mortgage to cover lunch so we left and headed to Chef's Delight further down the street.

Not wanting to tar this new business with a negative view I decided to give it another go and put all the previous experiences down to first day nerves.

I arrived at a fairly quiet point in the afternoon (Wednesday) and on locating a nice juicy red apple I headed for the counter and waited to be served. And waited, and waited, and waited. After ten minutes of watching the counter staff trying to work out what the elderly couple in front of them had bought and how much they should charge I replaced my apple and headed out and to the nearby grocery shop.

I understand that their aim is to serve the train commuters during the morning and early evening rush hours. But it’s difficult to imagine how this can be achieved when buying an apple can turn into a mini-saga. Yes, it needs time to settle in but you would have thought, or at least expected that they would have conducted a trial run to iron out any problems before having their grand opening and fan fair to the Sydenham community.

The only reason why I would visit this business again would be to purchase a bunch of flowers. On one side of the café there is an area where you can purchase a bunch of organic flowers to be arranged while you wait to be served. Pitched at reasonable prices and adding a splash of colour and scent to the venue you can expect to be served quickly, professionally and at affordable prices.

This is only what I have experienced on my visits. I’m all for improving the community with new types of business but unfortunately this business deserved the title of café rather than bistro.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Sean - I appreciate the problems you've had getting served at the Blue Mountain - and I hope this improves in the next few days as this new venture "settles down". If it doesn't, complain to the owner - not just to this forum.

As to your general point about the cost of drink and food at the Blue Mountain. Maybe the Blue Mountain just isn't for you given that you clearly want to eat and drink more cheaply. Perhaps The Chef's Delight (a first class establishment which I frequent often) is more for you.

I'm not being patronising. I just think you pay your money and your make your choice. If you don't like tea at £1.50 a cup, don't go there.