Accident on the high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
giorgio_ne

Accident on the high street

Post by giorgio_ne »

There's been a serious accident on the high street at the junction of the VW and pet shop.
I saw a wrecked bicycle and some clothes on the tarmac. I don't know the extent of any injury because only the police was around there when I walked past.
The high street was closed approx from Santander down to Kent House road.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Alfred Adler

Re: Accident on the high street

Post by Alfred Adler »

Never heard Sydenham high street so quiet. Hope the cyclist is okay. A copper told me he was in serious condition.
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

A very grim scene

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

A hit and run - Female in car doing her make-up. Sub human behaviour.

https://twitter.com/Clarky_2
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Deplorable.

Since you've mentioned Twitter, HB, I'd like to say thank you to BBC Travel alerts (@bbctravelalert). A quick glance at their feed before I left the house and I knew to avoid Sydenham Road this morning. Their real time information is really invaluable.
Last edited by Rachael on 10 Oct 2013 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Hopefully not life changing according to New Shopper:

"A 30-year-old man was rushed to Kings College Hospital in London as a priority following the incident, suffering from minor head injuries."
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10729 ... ham_smash/

EDIT: I really, really hope Twitter story is wrong. Otherwise unforgiveable. Here's the Twitter pic with the car apparently on the wrong side of the road:

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes walked by couple of hours ago. Amazing to see from Newlands Park to Kent House traffic free.

Very sad about cyclist. Someone said hit and run which may be correct but what happened to the black car in the photos
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

according to the twitter account linked, a woman was doing her make up whilst driving, hit the cyclist, and then legged it - leaving her car door open.

from that and the pic, I assume she was turning right into Mayow Road, maybe she was jumping the red light, or the cyclist might have been, presumably she didn't see him, and on collision she paniced and ran, and didn't help the injured cyclist. the fact that she ran, might indicate that it was her fault not the cyclist, but that is conjecture.

this accident would explain the more than normal amount of traffic backed up along Silverdale and Bishopsthorp, where there were people doing stupid things like driving on the wrong side of the road to avoid queing traffic, and trying to overtake queing traffic, maybe without realising that there was a queue.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm sorry, let me get this right. She was doing her makeup while making the right hand turn into Mayow Road? I know there are some INCREDIBLY stupid people in the world, but surely no one does that. Surely? I'm not even sure it's possible - wouldn't you need two hands to make that turn? A half-turn of the wheel with one hand wouldn't be tight enough. Unless, of course, you were turning into the wrong side of the road...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

if it was her car hopefully will be no problem locating her. I would imagine a number of witnesses who could confirm she was the correct person.
stuart

Post by stuart »

The police have denied it was a hit and run according to the New shopper. Be careful of speculation.

Stuart

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Stuart I just saw that.

If the driver vanished what other explanation. However as there seems to be another explanation , guess we need to wait and see,
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

just reporting that I'd seen on that twitter feed - they said that she legged it, and that she'd been aprehended quite soon afterwards. Police person told the twitter chap that she'd been doing her make-up.

of course News Shopper might not be accurate either...
stuart

Post by stuart »

Trouble is we don't know whether the Twitter source heard it first hand or second hand.In these fraught situations there is always a bit of confusion as the message is relayed:

Send reinforcements. We are going to advance.
Send three and fourpence. We are going to a dance.

I'll let things settle then I'll enquire whether anybody has been charged with anything.

Stuart