Can anyone recommend a tutor for a 9 year old (exam prep)?

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
SydenhamHillAndy

Can anyone recommend a tutor for a 9 year old (exam prep)?

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

That's pretty much it really: I am looking for a tutor to help prepare my son for entrance exams.
I would be really grateful for personal recommendations of tutors whose services you may have used!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Re: Can anyone recommend a tutor for a 9 year old (exam prep

Post by Rachael »

Not a tutor as such, but St Dunstans run a preparatory course for their entrance exams on Saturday mornings. We found it very useful for all the private school entrance exams and they would probably be good for the grammars as well.

If you are looking for help with the non-verbal reasoning tests used at many of our local state schools (Harris in Crystal Palace and Haberdashers spring to mind) a set of workbooks done at home is more than sufficient (Amazon has a great range). These sorts of tests only seem hard at first because they are so unfamiliar to most of our kids (but not to anyone who's ever done a Mensa test!). Once the penny drops, they are actually good fun, like solving puzzles.