Sydenham Road traffic

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Sydenham Road traffic

Post by Rachael »

Robin Orton wrote:
Rachael wrote:I have one poster here on my ignore list. Fairly sure I'm not missing anything interesting.
So can't be HB, I'm sure, whose posts, on most subjects, are usually interesting and enlightening.
Nope, not HB, and not you either, Robin! More than that I will not say.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachael wrote: Nope, not HB, and not you either, Robin! More than that I will not say.
Gosh, Rachael - now we're all speculating excitedly!
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Robin Orton wrote:So can't be HB, I'm sure, whose posts, on most subjects, are usually interesting and enlightening.
You're too kind Robin :oops:

Or you're awfully good at disguising sarcasm :lol:
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

No, I don't do sarcasm. Occasionally I attempt (generally unsuccessfully) a little gentle irony, but not on this occasion.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Tim Lund wrote:
Rachael wrote:If people do want the lights etc to be looked at, they need to contact tfl. Grousing about it here isn't going to change anything.
There are a couple of TfL traffic modellers who live not far from me, who I chat to - about our gardens, generally. Next time I see them I'll ask them how much flows can be tweaked by changing signals, and what is involved in deciding this.
Just did. Apparently the investment / technology isn't there yet, but I hope to get back on what's possible now soon. And both our allotments are fine :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Post by stuart »

Tim Lund wrote:Just did (talk to traffic modellers). Apparently the investment / technology isn't there yet, but I hope to get back on what's possible now soon.
You mean they find it really hard to increase the traffic flow without lengthening the waiting times or shortening the crossing times for pedestrians even further? Fermat's last theorem is a breeze in comparison :wink:

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

My gardening neighbour from TfL wrote: some signals can be remotely adjusted directly from the London Traffic Control Centre though the UTC system. There’s a bit about it in this http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ITS-DTO.pdf though it is a bit out of date on some of the other stuff. Some UTC signals are adaptive in real time based on the detected traffic using an internal model. London uses SCOOT control for this. See how it works here http://www.scoot-utc.com/HowSCOOTWorks.php.

I don’t think Sydenham Road has SCOOT but it is UTC. It will normally run under local control where the timing plans are held locally in the signal controller at the side of the road, but can be adjusted remotely if required. I expect the plans will be reviewed once all the works are finished

Anyone who would like to have a go is welcome to apply for the Traffic Control System Engineer Graduate scheme here https://tfl.taleo.net/careersection/ext ... oblist.ftl
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Chris Best said elsethread that the timings of the lights etc WILL be reviewed by TfL when the works are all finished.
PilatesYogaAdam

Post by PilatesYogaAdam »

Overall, I LOVE the improvements to our High Street, but having now cycled down from Kirkdale to Silverdale and back again quite a few times I have quickly come to the conclusion that the narrowing of the road over the bridge is not good at all for those on two wheels. In fact I think it could be quite dangerous.There often isn't room for cyclists to overtake stationary traffic on the left had side and even the best drivers can hardly give a cyclist sufficient room when overtaking when the traffic is moving. Last week I had to take evasive action to stop being squashed by a lorry! The driver overtook me on on my bicycle and then moved to the left, I was cycling defensively so predicted the danger and stopped before the lorry veered left, but if I hadn't it could have easily been really nasty. I'm afraid to say it might only be matter of time before a serious accident occurs. It's a shame a slim cycle lane was not put in, even just on the bridge part. It would make things a lot safer.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

There was probably no reason for him to overtake you - he's higher up, he could have seen ahead that there was still traffic and that he wouldn't get to the junction any quicker, and just waited behind you.

some road users need refresher courses in the highway code (and it's usually those who use the road everyday as part of their job that are most to blame!)
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I always filter on the right of traffic over the bridge if it is queuing. If there is no congestion there then I will "take the lane", which leads to the odd confrontation.

The fact that either of those approaches is necessary is proof of the failure of design through that part of the system.
PilatesYogaAdam

Post by PilatesYogaAdam »

Good advice. I have 'took the lane' i.e cycled in the centre of the road, ever since. There simply isn't enough space for a cycle and for a car to overtake giving sufficient room otherwise.
dandanthesushiman

Post by dandanthesushiman »

I think a big part of the problem is the sheer number of traffic lights, 11 sets between Cobb's corner and Sainsbury's. That is
an average of i set every 100 yards. Between Mayow Road an Cobb's corner there are 7 sets is what can not be more than 400 yards. Add this to the roundabout at Cobbs corner and it is no surprise that everything grinds to a halt.

I do feel that at least half of these are superfluous. I wonder how easy it would be to test this theory by switching half of them off for a few weeks and seeing what happens.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Which ones are superfluous.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I spoke to a person this morning who works on the High St and lives on Sydenham Hill. He used to drive to work before the refurbishments started but now he walks because of the traffic. So, as far as my agenda is concerned, it's working 8)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am in total agreement HB.

Could walk or plenty of bus options.