Mr Smith's Club

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
sparticus

Mr Smith's Club

Post by sparticus »

I've just read Charlie Richardson's autobiography and now reading Brown Bread Fred, the autobiography of Fred Foreman, another south London gangster and an associate of the Krays. Fascinating stuff and a window onto a London that has disappeared. Both books talk about a "stand-up" between the Kray firm and the Richardson's at this club in Catford when a number of villains got shot. Anyone know where the club was?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Manwithaview1

Re: Mr Smith's Club

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Best pic I can find from my collection of Rushey Green pics:
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Thanks chaps.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bimlish

Post by Bimlish »

The fight in Mr Smith's that night wasn't between the Richardsons and the Krays it was between the Richardsons and the Heywood gang from Lewisham. It began as a meeting about who was going to 'mind' the club in return for protection money but soon turned violent ending with several gangsters getting shot, with one of them, Dickie Hart, dead.
My late dad, Bill McLeish, was the general manager of Smith's and was there that night.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Mr Smiths was nearly opposite the old Prendegast Girls School - maybe a bit further towards Catford.
I believe it then became The Witchdoctor and then The Savoy - both nightclubs or discos as they were known
back in the day, but with a younger clientele. The building still remains. I went there myself many moons ago
We'd queue for ages to get in and watch bands like Desmond Decker or Geno Washington. A pit of a place really!!!!
I am of course talking about when it became The Savoy - I would have been too young to go to Mr Smiths - no really!!!!