Sydenham house prices up by 50k?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie.

Re: Sydenham house prices up by 50k?

Post by Annie. »

Eagle wrote:round as apound

I would imagine the buyer has more money than sense. I would assume a cash buyer as cannot believe and building society would lend such a figure.

I have no idea what road. If Hall Drive then possibly correct figure , but most other roads well overpriced.

The chickens will come home to roost. The bubble will burst again soon.

Hall Drive has gone down hill a bit recently Eagle, no different to any other street now except for the "Private" road status. House next to me just sold £750.000 5 bed, hardly any garden to speak of, no garage.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie

It is amazing how prices have zoomed up. However I still believe this will reverse some time in the future , but when no one knows.

The house you speak of , whether in Hall Drive or not , seems vastly overpriced , but what do I know.

I did not appreciate Hall Drive no longer the elite of Sydenham . How times change.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

we just had a leaflet through our door telling us that a house down the road recently sold for 7% over the asking price of £420k - we bought a bigger property, for a lot less money three years ago. so yes prices have definitely increased. I doubt prices will go down any time soon - they might stabilise, and a lot of people will just not move house.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Alfred Adler wrote:From what i know Sydenham estate agents are engaging in practices such as unaccepting offers and forcing up prices by creating hype.
Yes. I for one am getting very irritated at the number of ultra-smug "look what we've just sold a property for in your area" communications coming through the door at the moment. And looking at some of the new estate-agent arrivals on the block I fear it's only going to get worse.

As for price rises, all I can say is that we had our place valued at the beginning of the year: 3 months later the downstairs property - similar size - went on the market for over 20% more than we'd been quoted, and assuming that the sellers got the asking price then they've made a tidy profit of about 1/3 in 4 years.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Why not just cut straight to Zoopla, where prices are taken from Land Registry transactions?

alywin

Post by alywin »

Tim, if that was addressed to me, then because the Land Registry hadn't updated the site, so Zoopla wouldn't have it either. I thought they were supposed to make these entries pretty fast, but obviously not.
coldand

Post by coldand »

Never heard so much crap spouted by tim lund

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

alywin wrote:Tim, if that was addressed to me, then because the Land Registry hadn't updated the site, so Zoopla wouldn't have it either. I thought they were supposed to make these entries pretty fast, but obviously not.
It wasn't - it was just to say that thanks to the opening up of data from the Land Registry, we don't have to rely on Estate Agents when it comes to knowing where property prices are.

I'll admit that, as an owner occupier myself, I can't help that warm feeling of satisfaction which comes from seeing how much more I'm worth financially, even though my rational mind tells me this is really not great for society as a whole. Before too long, my kids will probably want to buy somewhere in London, and with help from the Bank of Mum and Dad, they might just be able to. As long as property prices keep going up, that might seem OK, but only for the relatively privileged such as them; society as a whole would have become more divided by who your parents were. Call me idealistic, but this is not the world I want for them.

So - apologies for any offence taken - it was just a another expression of frustration at what's happening in the property market.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

coldand wrote:Never heard so much crap spouted by tim lund

3,360+ posts, and none with more c**p spouted than that? I can't be doing so badly :)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

The market is insane - but it is driven by ordinary people so, unless most ordinary people are insane there must be some kind of group insanity that has taken hold.

I work in the London Borough of Lewisham still but moved out to Kent 3 years ago because it was so much cheaper to buy: my house is "worth" about half of what the equivalent would be in Sydenham. I could afford a three bedroom house at the age of 24 with no real help from parents (my father in law loaned us a small amount of money to get access to a slightly better interest rate - but we could have afforded it without the loan). I could have bought a one bedroom flat if I had stayed in Sydenham. The demand for housing (and therefore the upward pressure on house prices) in places like Sydenham strike me as downright insane when there are perfectly affordable properties 25 minutes further out of London. Yet I must be in the minority as, it seems that, not as many people want to live out here: evidenced by the fact that my house is only "worth" 2-3k more than when I bought it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I think one main reason is because there are so few houses up for sale.

I looked in one estate agents window last week and every single house was sold. They did not have one house for sale.

Stupid house prices help nobody. Interest rise could help.
parker

Post by parker »

Tim Lund wrote:
coldand wrote:Never heard so much crap spouted by tim lund

3,360+ posts, and none with more c**p spouted than that? I can't be doing so badly :)
Haha, you tell them Tim!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bensonby

Good points , however on finds a lot of people who move out then complain about the high fares.

If one gets a cheaper house and commutes one should expect to pay higher fares.

Where will it all end.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There is very little on the market at the moment and a lot of buyers. People just aren't selling.

Period properties especially are selling very quickly, sometimes within hours of going on the market they are getting offers, often above asking price.
Lucyloo

Post by Lucyloo »

There is nothing on the market in Sydenham, or anywhere nearby. I'm desperately trying to buy after a place fell through last year, but the few properties that are on the market are at least £50k more than Spring last year! If anybody wants to move out of their two bed garden flat, it would be greatly appreciated!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What's really interesting is that you state your location as East Dulwich.

Care to share why you have fallen for the charms of Sydenham LucyLoo?
Lucyloo

Post by Lucyloo »

I'm renting in East Dulwich, and unless I get into the bank robbing business, can't ever see myself buying there! I've been swayed by Sydenham because of the good transport links, CP park and the nice houses...just need to be patient and wait for something to come available!
michael

Post by michael »

Everybody in East Dulwich wants to move to Sydenham eventually!
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum ... 29,1098749
stuart

Post by stuart »

Lucyloo wrote:I'm renting in East Dulwich, and unless I get into the bank robbing business, can't ever see myself buying there!
Sorry to disappoint but it looks like it has to be Sydenham! http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/06/ ... -bad-idea/

Stuart
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

michael wrote:Everybody in East Dulwich wants to move to Sydenham eventually!
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum ... 29,1098749
I did, back in 1999. I'm a trendsetter.