Some interesting postcards I picked up recently... (Part 2!)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Some interesting postcards I picked up recently... (Part 2!)

Post by Falkor »

Picked up all these postcards lately, except for the c1875 Catford Private Banks view, which I purchased from Lewisham Library as a scan...

Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The Peak Hill Lodge picture is very interesting, Falkor. Any chance of a higher resolution image?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I thought that photo might be rare because I didn't recognise it from any books or the Lewisham Library selection. It only cost me a £2, although the quality isn't that great. The card itself is definitely oldish looking, but has not been postally used. Anyway, here you go mate...
Download high res...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Where was the lodge?

Great pictures of CP. Later ones obviously as the right hand part was missing after the first fire.

I popped into the CP museum on Saturday and has a great chat with the curator there while I was out viewing flats.houses around the area. It's a great museum and hope they can raise funds to expand.

Actually, this brings me to another point for Falkor, what do you do with your postcards? Do you ever exhibit them? I'd find the CP museum even more interesting if they had more information on the surrounding area to show how the museum influenced everything around it.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I don't know too much about the Lodge, but it is explained a bit in Sydenham and Forest Hill Past. I know it was near the school entrance off Sydenham Park Road, and wasn't really connected with the Peak Hill community who lived in the terrace of houses and had their own Green Man and Fox & Hounds pub etc.

I only started collecting postcards a few weeks ago. I get them mainly to scan in for my website and share with you guys. But my website is primarily there to help people out--mainly myself--with information about buildings. Basically, what I'm doing is gathering up information from different sources and presenting it in a format that suits me, and at the same time learning new stuff to enhance my walkabouts. I'm also adding landowners, occupants to try and work out the boundaries of farms etc. The gallery is really a secondary feature, although is serving the same function as the primary: gather up all the abandoned sheep, ie. put together all the photos of Perry Hill from the out of print books and other sources. I also know what postcards to look out for in the future, ie. any views that haven't been published before. You notice I've been picking up a lot of postcards on Catford lately? I would like to be able to look at Catford's history in isolation away from the rest of Lewisham... I lived in Sydenham for 13 years, but I lived in Catford for 8 years and went to school there, so it's like my second home! :)

That view of Catford above is just so so amazing! The Town hall is seen just after completion before any of the extensions had been made. To the left hidden behind the trees is the Hatcliffe's Almshouses and Elmwood when it still had it's gardens--part of the old Rushey Green before enclosure. St Laurence's Church has not yet been built, nor Canadian Avenue laid. Instead, there is a gravel pit there. In the distance is the earliest view of the shops at this end of Rushey Green--almost up to Sangley Road. Most of these buildings were no doubt 18th century and possibly some were 17th century!

The Museum doesn't really cover the history of the areas around the Crystal Palace, but what it does do for the first time is cover the history of Penge, putting the Palace in better context with it's own native area!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Many thanks for the high res image of Peak Hill Lodge, Falkor. The only other picture I know of the house was from a 1933 newspaper article written just before the house was demolished:
Ella

Post by Ella »

At the corner of Silverdale and Sydenham Road at roof height is a sign saying 'fish market'. Can anyone tell me if there was ever a fish market here or was it someone with a fish shop but with high expectations?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Ella, it was a fishmongers from 1892 until at least the 1950s. Originally the sign said "Sydenham Fish Market". "Sydenham" was removed during the war, in order to confuse the Germans.