Sydenham High Street needs a bike shop

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Buzz

Sydenham High Street needs a bike shop

Post by Buzz »

I think we need a bike shop on the Hight Street , what do other people think ?
jonekt

Re: Sydenham High Street needs a bike shop

Post by jonekt »

I agree! Also a couple of restaurants would be good too.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Ditto !
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

A decent bike shop would get business from me.

There was an attempt at a bike shop some years ago - "Behind Bars", near Sugahill Café. It was one of those hopeful new businesses which you could tell from the outset was never going to thrive.

So I'd be cautious, but (unlike pubs) the long term trend is for more bike shops. It would be interesting to see a map of where cyclists live and work, and where there are bike shops. With Compton Cycles in Catford, Deens in Beckenham, and shops in Penge and Crystal Palace, are we short of cycle shops? What would a new shop here need to do to compete successfully?

BTW, Admin - I think this thread belongs in the Town Hall.
simon

Post by simon »

While the area is apparently well served with bike shops, it does seem only a matter of time before one opens in Sydenham. Crystal Palace has three, Penge and Beckenham one apiece, Catford has one plus Halfords and Finches in Forest Hill sells bikes. In order to succeed, a new bike shop would need to cater for the immediately local family market to compete with Deens and Comptons, while also selling a niche product to a wider market, like Popiel in Crystal Palace. It would also need a deal with a major manufacturer who wasn’t selling locally but crucially it would need a fair amount of space at a decent price in highly visible location.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I agree with most of what Simon has said. In my view, although there are a number of shops around, but hardly anyone caters for Children's bike and apparels together. There are a number of Children specific GoRide clubs around Bromley, Penge, Crystal Palace and Herne Hill and a number of Children are racing and they need children specific gear which are not easily available in any of these shops. So there is niche market for this. Also I have tried of most of these shops for Service and other specific needs and I must admit most of these shops have not lived up to the expectations. please don't get me wrong I do know what good technical service and customer service means. a shop where you can go without worrying that only solution to your service needs is to replace with very expensive parts Knowledgeable and honest mechanics are hard to find but not rare. Bike shops could be extremely sociable hubs provided they can cater for whole family needs and also keep good line of products with helpful and experienced technical staff. Bike shops also play an important role in encouraging cycling in the local area by getting involved with rides that can cater for all sorts of riders.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Buzz - you sound like someone who knows a lot about bikes. I think a successful bike shop in Sydenham would need to service many much less knowledgeable new customers, and the mark up on components sold will be one part of how they make a living - rather like the silly mark up you pay on a bottle of wine in a restaurant.

I like to think I ought to be able to service my own bike, and I sometimes amaze my wife by being able to adjust the brakes, or reposition a mudguard which has slipped, when she'd be for taking it to Deen's, which she likes and trusts. But at other times I think, is this really a good use of my time? OK, if there's a new type of tyre, which they say isn't going to puncture so much, isn't it easier just to trust them as well, and forget my pride in knowing how to change an inner tube, and mend a puncture?

Sometimes bike shops can be really intimidating for ordinary punters who don't know what all the different sort of kit are; Condor's in the Grays Inn Road is the worst I've come across for that, although I'm sure they are a great social hub for people who really are into cycling :)
Kate R Park

Post by Kate R Park »

Behind Bars was already gone by the time we arrived in Sydenham, so can't comment. I use Deen's in Beckenham these days and cannot recommend them enough. They're not fussed whether it's a new inner tube or a new bike they're selling, and are always helpful with advice. I think the key to a successful bike shop is to have at least one good mechanic - you can shop anywhere for bike bits, but having someone competent and local to fit them is what I want.

I wouldn't trust Halfords any further than I could throw them - I've had two bikes through them (because of the specific cycle-2-work scheme I'm on) and they were unable to set either of them up properly. I've also heard that the place at the top of the Anerley Hill, in CP, is good, although perhaps aimed at the more serious cyclist. New shop would be great but for now I'll stick with Deen's.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I also agree. They were one if the first what ifs. If anyone wants to open one, there is some more info here and they can use this design for free if they contact us:

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27840