CRYSTAL PALACE STATION_HIGH LEVEL

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
leenewham

CRYSTAL PALACE STATION_HIGH LEVEL

Post by leenewham »

I saw a postcard of this on Ebay and it looks really interesting but I don't know much about it, where it was and haven't seen any other pics of it.

Anyone care to fill in some blanks?
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

It was on the opposite side of the road where the bus rank is, all houses there now I believe, the tunnel that led to it is there but blocked up.
to the left of the bridge that is at the west end there was a turn table where the steam engines where turned round.
Big old canopy over it, knocked about in air raids, wooden platforms. I remember looking round it all shortly before it was demolished.
There is a site some where, "disused railway stations " linked to the underground london site I think
very sad thing to have seen it go and what an asset it would be now.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

The station was situated beside Crystal Palace Parade, almost opposite the bus terminus; the main station entrance was on what now appears to be a totally pointless bridge at the beginning of Farquar Road, and on the other side of that bridge was the site of the turntable.

The subway that lead from the station under the Parade and into the park is now listed and I believe there are occasional organised tours.

There's a guy called Nick Catford that runs an excellent website dedicated to Britain's defunct railway stations and he has recently posted a special feature on CP High Level, including a full history and lots of pictures; you will also find some lovely pictures of Upper Sydenham, nestling in the leafy glade that is now the High Level Drive housing estate!

Here's a link............

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/

Edit: great minds think alike, eh kenny!
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Indeed they do rebel, thanks for putting up that link; However there should be a health warning on that site, as you can lose yourself in it for hours!!

As a confirmed conspiracy theorist it has always seemed to me to be more than coincidential that Beeching's [spit spit] savage massacre of our Railways came at the start of a massive motorway builing programme, after all each vehicle on the road has been proven to be a bottomless pit of tax revenue, after all, you could never get that much cash out of railway passengers or traffic could you?

One of these days they are really going to regret that act of vandalism, probably at about £10 a litre for unleaded ........
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

kennyb2 wrote:Indeed they do rebel, thanks for putting up that link; However there should be a health warning on that site, as you can lose yourself in it for hours!!

As a confirmed conspiracy theorist it has always seemed to me to be more than coincidential that Beeching's [spit spit] savage massacre of our Railways came at the start of a massive motorway builing programme, after all each vehicle on the road has been proven to be a bottomless pit of tax revenue, after all, you could never get that much cash out of railway passengers or traffic could you?

One of these days they are really going to regret that act of vandalism, probably at about £10 a litre for unleaded ........
Yeah, sorry about that, I should've remembered I spent hours there when I first discovered it!

I love a good conspiracy theory myself, but, to be fair, BR was a Nationalised industry at the time, so it was effectively the taxpayers that were funding it; I can't remember the exact figures, but I think Nick's site states that the CP High Level branch was transporting less than 100 passengers a week when it closed, and don't you think we fund enough pointless exercises?

Mind you, if you think that was bad, thank your lucky stars that 'Beeching's Axe: Part 2' didn't fall in 1965; if it had, by the mid 80s there wouldn't have been anything left but the major trunk routes, no branch lines at all!