#Lewisham2014

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

#Lewisham2014

Post by Tim Lund »

Do you tweet, and are you interested in this year's Lewisham Mayoral election? If so, and you have something to say to the candidates, why not use #Lewisham2014 as a hashtag? The idea's been the subject of a few emails, including Nick of Brockley Central, who's a PR professional, so there's a fair chance of it taking off.

BTW, if anyone wants to follow me on Twitter, I'm @TimLundSE26
Eagle

Re: #Lewisham2014

Post by Eagle »

Hi Tim

I am an adult and therefore do not tweet. Leave it to the kiddies I say.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I didn't think Eagles tweeted either. I thought they made more of a quaaaark quaaaaark noise.

#Lewisham2014
#eaglesdonttweet
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Quite correct old chap.

I do not need the whole world to know I had porridge for breakfast.

Let us leave tweeting to the kiddies , or badly educated adults.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Like Stephen Fry?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Eagle wrote:I am an adult and therefore do not tweet. Leave it to the kiddies I say.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Admin, that was cruel ;-)

Regards
Chris
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

chrisj1948 wrote:Admin, that was cruel ;-)

Regards
Chris
Chances of Eagle knowing what that represents, given than he doesn't Tweet, are slim.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thursday May 22nd is Election Day for:

1) London European Union MEPs
2) Lewisham Mayor
3) Sydenham Ward Councillors

Nominations don't close until April 24th. I will publish the lists as soon as available and it will be fun and possibly instructive to run a hustings here in Town Hall from around Tuesday May 6th (immediately after the may day bank holiday).

As ever - if you are not sure you are registered to vote you should check now with Lewisham to be sure.

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Admin old chap

Surely a foregone conclusion. But guess good you try and get the great unwashed interested in voting. Such a shame so few take their responsibility seriously.

You ask people to check if they are registered. Surely everyone should be registered .

As long as UKIP do badly I do not really care.

Sorry if you are a tweeter , but have a great time doing it.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I think you are also confusing "right" with "responsibility". But maybe that's a generation thing.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

hairybuddha wrote:I think you are also confusing "right" with "responsibility". But maybe that's a generation thing.
Are you saying that only middle-aged people like Eagle think they have a civic responsibility to vote, and that the younger generation have moved on from such quaint old-fashioned ideas?
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Yes

Or I am at least saying that I don't believe voting is a responsibility or obligation. And I reckon most people of my generation feel the same way.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

hairybuddha wrote: Or I am at least saying that I don't believe voting is a responsibility or obligation. And I reckon most people of my generation feel the same way.
I find that a bit scary.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I find the idea that one should be obligated to vote a bit scary.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

hairybuddha wrote:I find the idea that one should be obligated to vote a bit scary.
Why? I'm not of course talking about a legal obligation (although I believe there is such a thing in some countries) but a moral one.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

rod taylor wrote: To be honest, the main reason 18-24 year olds are shafted by successive governments is because they simply don't vote and there is no incentive for government policy to reflect them.
It sort of a circular argument isn't it? 18-24 year olds get shafted because they don't vote and they don't vote because they get shafted.

It's also very hard to see what difference the colour of the next Government makes for the lives of younger people. You can throw a fag paper over the three parties at the centre. And outside the westminster bubble the vast majority of people don't care about the politics. So why bother (and we're back to the circular argument)?
Robin Orton wrote:Why? I'm not of course talking about a legal obligation (although I believe there is such a thing in some countries) but a moral one
Surely it is immoral to vote? It only encourages them... More seriously, I find it offensive that someone like Eagle can assume a position of moral superiority because he chooses to vote whereas I am somehow morally inferior because I do not.

Full disclosure: I do vote - But I completely understand the motivations/apathy of those who do not.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I think you underestimate 18-24 year olds. They are far more engaged and switched on than you might think. They are just not interested in mainstream party politics. And who can blame them?
mosy

Post by mosy »

I suspect that a lot of voter apathy is when a (their) single vote(s) won't make any difference to a foregone conclusion, assuming not in a marginal voting area. Landslide turn-arounds are rare. The fag paper too, since, as pointed out in another thread, are wishlist manifestos anything more than generic wishlists?
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

I'd like an extra box on the Mayor vote, one that says No Mayor. Waste of £100k plus.