Warning: Attacks in Alexandra Park (Please keep an eye out)

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sean

Warning: Attacks in Alexandra Park (Please keep an eye out)

Post by sean »

I have an allotment just off Trewsbury Road and last Sunday while talking to another allotment holder I heard the following.

Over recent weeks there have been a few attacks on women walking through Alexandra Park. Their handbags are take off them then are thrown away just prior to getting to Trewsbury Road.

He informed the police who said they couldn't do anything about it until one of the victims contacts the police.

Please be aware of this especially as it gets dark very early thesedays.

Has anyone else heard of this?
user100

Post by user100 »

I can believe that this is true as it has happened before, down through the years, there have been cowardly muggings, including of elderly people.

I'm certainly not trying to scare monger, or say that there is a massive problem. Neither would I try to give the impression that muggings never happen here - just being honest - far be it from me to run Sydenham down but let's not pretend.

It sad to say, but anyone, male or female, young or old, going though any park after dark is taking a chance. Even in daylight, you could be unlucky.

I have been mugged before, although not in Sydenham, and it is not a pleasant experience.

Having said all that, I have never been given any hassle in Sydenham, let's hope we all keep safe.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I work in Marylebone and we had a mugging a few days ago and a few months ago one of our staff was mugged and the beaten up (they only stole his sandwich). A 2 bed flat in the road I work in recently sold for 1 million.

Point is: you need to be careful everywhere.
poppy

Alexandra Park

Post by poppy »

If this is the case then I am very surprised that the police have not leafleted the area. We were recently leafleted because someone had their car stolen from out road but this is a lot more serious. Do you have any more details - for example the times they occurred? Eg. Was it dark? Because as the other post says walking through a park in the dark is very risky. That is my nearest park and I use it a lot in the day so I am a bit concerned, although, the times of day I use it there are usually lots of people around walking their dogs or just walking through, but not always!
sean

Post by sean »

He told me it was happening in the evening because the thief was using a nearby security light to go through the bags before throwing them away. It goes dark around that area from about 4:30pm. I've gone through the park in the day and have seen nothing but the lighting in the park in the night isn't that good and should be improved, especially along the path.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I used to use this park to walk my dog, I hated the winter as there are no lights in the park. It's risky for anyone not just for women.
sean

Post by sean »

I went to the last Sydenham Society meeting and wanted to ask the police person about these incident but both him and the rest of the top table completely threw out this as soon as I brought it up. Apparently that park isn't in Sydenham and therefore they weren't interested. For the fact that the park borders Sydenham I thought would be close enough to just let people know but the officials here didn't agree. Surely these societies and especially the police should share information regarding incidents when they happen on the borders of the community, especially when it relates to personal safety. Obviously nobody who is a member of the Sydenham Society uses this park.
poppy

Alexandra Park

Post by poppy »

That is parochial in the extreme! It is a two minute walk from my house and I live very much in Sydenham - what I would call central Sydenham actually as it is right next to the high street and only 5mins walk from the station. Lots and lots of people in this part of Sydenham use that recreation ground and park.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

As a matter of accuracy the meeting Sean refers to was NOT a Sydenham Society meeting although a number of its members (the Society has 1100+ members) attended.

The meeting was the Sydenham Community Regeneration Partnership meeting, chaired by Cllr Chris Best, and is a council run meeting, open to all members within the community interested in the future of Sydenham.

Members of the Sydenham Society attend mainly to listen to public opinion and give information on particular matters, if requested.