Future rail services into London

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Future rail services into London

Post by Pat Trembath »

For the past year the both the Sydenham and Forest Hill Societies have been campaigning to keep the same level of passenger services on our Network Rail routes to London Bridge and Victoria. Recently Network Rail published their Route Utilisation Strategy (RUS) with proposals to reduce services on these lines when the East London Line comes into operation.

We have detailed our concerns to Network Rail and we believe we have a strong case for the continuation of existing services on this overcrowded line, but we now need to show that we are not just a few individuals but an entire community.

There are over 1100 signatures on our joint online petition at http://fhpetition.notlong.com but we want Network Rail to understand the strength of feeling of the local community. If you agree with our campaign please take the time to cut and paste the text below and send it to Network Rail. Please feel free change the text to reflect your specific concerns or add any personal experiences to the text (but keep it polite!). And don't forget to add your name, address, and local station to the bottom of the email.

Emails should be sent to: southlondon.rus@networkrail.co.uk

If you have not already done so, please add your name to the online petition.

Many thanks for supporting us in this campaign and helping to keep the train services that we deserve.

Pat Trembath, Chair, Sydenham Society
Michael Abrahams, Chair, Forest Hill Society

Sample text for email to southlondon.rus@networkrail.co.uk:
Subject: South London RUS - Sydenham Line

Dear Sir/Madam,

South London Route Utilisation Strategy – Sydenham Line

I am a regular user of the Sydenham Line, which runs into London Bridge via Sydenham and Forest Hill.

I want to express my strong objection to proposals in the draft RUS that relate to the Sydenham Line.

If adopted, the draft RUS would result in a 25% cut in existing Sydenham Line peak period services to and from London Bridge, and an even greater cut in off-peak services.

It would also result in loss of the London Bridge loop-line service to Clapham Junction and Victoria via Forest Hill and Sydenham, and also the withdrawal of the Sydenham Line service that presently runs directly into and out of Charing Cross at evenings and weekends.

These proposals represent a major reduction in the present level of services available to Sydenham Line users. The forthcoming East London Line extension will not provide an adequate substitute. The ELL destination is wrong for most Sydenham Line commuters who want to travel to central London via London Bridge. Moreover the ELL will use only 4 car trains.

Whilst I do not ask for an increase in existing Sydenham Line services I do want:

- No cuts in existing services (especially peak) to London Bridge. The RUS acknowledges a high level of suppressed demand for the Sydenham Line service

- The earliest possible introduction of 10-car or even 12-car trains on the Sydenham Line to provide for that suppressed demand and to ease present overcrowding

- Retention of the loop-line service to Victoria. This is a very popular service at both peak and off-peak periods

- Retention of the current evening service from Charing Cross to Forest Hill and Sydenham. The draft RUS (page 176) refers to this as a "very well-utilised" service.

I urge you to reconsider the Sydenham Line recommendations in the draft RUS in the light of my comments.

Yours sincerely,

Name
Address
Station Used
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Done. Thanks Pat.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I have seen the leaflets on occasions at Sydenham Station via the Sydenham Society, I just wondered if the same leaflets have been handed out at Brockley and Honor Oak?

The benefit of living in Sydenham, is generally you do manage to get a seat on most trains. People in Brockley and Honor Oak, are lucky if they managed to get on a train, getting a seat must be like striking gold.

If Honor Oak and Brockley stations are not being leafleted then I suggest the Sydenham Society start. I would imagine they'd get a tremendous support.

Just a thought.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Honor Oak Park station was leaftleted by FH Society which covers HOP as well as Forest Hill.

Brockley has its own Society and a Brockley Cross Action Group who both are aware of the problem.

Telegraph Hill Society (for NXG and NX) has been working with Joan Ruddock MP for some time on problems caused by the closure of the ELL for the next 2 1/2 years from December 22 until June 2010. By the time trains get to NXG there will be little alternative for passengers but to catch the offered alternative rail replacement bus services. Travelling is not going to be any picnic for the next couple of years for anyone along this line.

There are others who use the LB/LV loop beyond Crystal Palace who are also responding to Network Rail about the proposed loss of this direct route
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Brockley has a great blog called www.brockleycentral.blogspot.com which includes into on the trains.
AVManning

Post by AVManning »

Thanks Pat, I've signed the petition and sent the (slightly amended but still polite) email. I hope that everyone on the forum can spare a few minutes to do this.

I am particularly concerned about the loss of the service from Sydenham to Victoria. My family live in Hammersmith and I make great use of this service by getting off at Clapham Junction and getting a bus. As it is there are only 2 trains an hour and no service at all on a Sunday. As you said we welcome the East London Line but not to the detriment of our existing service.
user100

Post by user100 »

Thanks Pat, I have signed it.

Lots of signatures on there now and hopefully more to come for this important issue for Sydenham.