Seats on the train

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I do Bensonby, it's just sometimes I feel a bit of a lone soldier, on a one-man irrational crusade! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels these people deserve their come-uppance. Manys a time there have been a good few easier choices but I've picked the one with the bags on it just to (invariably) annoy their owner.

It's sad, yes, but it makes me feel good. :evil:
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

natbeuk wrote:
Mrs.E wrote:It is ONLY a 15 minute train ride... I'd complain if I had to stand for an hour but 15 minutes really is nothing!!!!
Unless you're like me who has a bad back and starts to feel pain after about 5 minutes of standing. Or heavily pregnant. Or elderly. Etc. :P
Exactly, Natbeuk isn't thinking that some people have problems. I have degeneration at the base of my spine making it very difficult for me to stand for long periods in one spot. I also suffer with panic attacks and dizzy spells... so 15 mins may not seem long to some people, but to me it's perfectly long enough! (and what about when the train gets stuck on the track somewhere??)
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Nickerbockers wrote:
natbeuk wrote:
Mrs.E wrote:It is ONLY a 15 minute train ride... I'd complain if I had to stand for an hour but 15 minutes really is nothing!!!!
Unless you're like me who has a bad back and starts to feel pain after about 5 minutes of standing. Or heavily pregnant. Or elderly. Etc. :P
Exactly, Natbeuk isn't thinking that some people have problems. I have degeneration at the base of my spine making it very difficult for me to stand for long periods in one spot. I also suffer with panic attacks and dizzy spells... so 15 mins may not seem long to some people, but to me it's perfectly long enough! (and what about when the train gets stuck on the track somewhere??)
Umm, minor point, but I was thinking some people have problems, that was the point of my response to Mrs E.. :P

I don't know about you Nickerbockers, but the problem I have is that I look perfectly young (ish) and healthy so if I was to ask someone to give up their seat for me when the back pain kicks in they wouldbe extremely unlikely to say yes, unless I explain my whole medical history!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

There is a much subtler way of keeping the seat next to you empty (rather than putting a bag on it which just irks people, me included), if I'm in a 'want to be alone' mood I'll turn my body subtly TOWARDS the people getting on the train and make eye contact, maybe even smile in a 'hey, there's a seat free here!' way; they invariably move on (coz they think you might be a bit crazy!). Try it, it does work until the very last seat is gone and someone is so tired they just don't care whether they're sitting next to a loon or not.

Doh! I've given my secret away now. The next time I do that and someone sits down I'll know its one of you.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

What happens if they take it the wrong way and think you're flirting with them Savvy?? :wink:

The bag thing drives me crazy. I usually just stand there and look at them until they move the bag. If they're going to be rude by hogging the seat then why should I be polite to them?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

That doesn't happen between nine and five. On later trains its ok because I probably AM.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Savvy wrote:There is a much subtler way of keeping the seat next to you empty (rather than putting a bag on it which just irks people, me included), if I'm in a 'want to be alone' mood I'll turn my body subtly TOWARDS the people getting on the train and make eye contact, maybe even smile in a 'hey, there's a seat free here!' way; they invariably move on (coz they think you might be a bit crazy!). Try it, it does work until the very last seat is gone and someone is so tired they just don't care whether they're sitting next to a loon or not.

Doh! I've given my secret away now. The next time I do that and someone sits down I'll know its one of you.
I just dribble, mutter and pat the seat next to me....
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Slightly off-topic, but other things that annoy me on the trains:

When the carriage is relatively empty and there are plenty of free seats around but someone decides to sit immediately next to you (even more so if you are on the window side in a 3-berth seat!). :evil:

When you are in a window seat (I do prefer to lean against the window!) and the train has drawn into the station but the aisle-seater just sits there and doesn't make an effort to get up (or very slowly starts packing things away). :twisted:

When someone sits next to you and then after a minute or so gets up and moves to sit elsewhere (next to someone else) - I don't smell, honest! :oops:
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I like this off-topic topic. Things that annoy me:

When the person next to me is reading the paper and thinks it's acceptable to open the paper right out so that their arm comes over into my space.

When I'm by the window and the aisle seater won't let their body even get vaguely near the aisle, so I'm squashed against the wall. I'm a thin woman, I take up very little room, yet somehow I end up left with a sliver of space.

When I'm seated and someone standing holds onto the seat but somehow manages to continually pull my hair (this happened this morning). It's not hard to avoid!!

When you need to get out past the aisle seater and they make absolutely no attempt at giving you room.

And finally, Gaz, I'm with you on the frustration of the aisle seater showing no sign of moving even after the train has pulled into London Bridge!

Phew.. feels better to get that off my chest :lol:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

natbeuk wrote:And finally, Gaz, I'm with you on the frustration of the aisle seater showing no sign of moving even after the train has pulled into London Bridge!

Phew.. feels better to get that off my chest :lol:
Don't even get me started on the numpties that step off the train onto the platform and then just stand there blankly looking to their left and right - often with those annoying pull-along suitcases - blocking the exit or tripping up everyone else trying to step off!! :x

(That feels better! :) )
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I think we could have a 5 page thread just about things that are annoying on the trains hehe :)

Ok here's mine, people on the platform who crowd the doors but then refuse to move out of the way to let people off. I really want to start shouting how can you get on if you dont get out of the bloody way :evil: Plus when you're trying to get off they give you evils because you have to barge past the idiots blocking your way.

People with ipod headphones, I want to have a card printed that says 'your headphones are crap mate', they have to blast the music so loud to hear it because they cant fit them in their ears. Buy a decent pair & save the rest of us.

I agree about the free paper one Natbeuk.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Ronski wrote:I think we could have a 5 page thread just about things that are annoying on the trains hehe :)

Ok here's mine, people on the platform who crowd the doors but then refuse to move out of the way to let people off. I really want to start shouting how can you get on if you dont get out of the bloody way :evil: Plus when you're trying to get off they give you evils because you have to barge past the idiots blocking your way.

People with ipod headphones, I want to have a card printed that says 'your headphones are crap mate', they have to blast the music so loud to hear it because they cant fit them in their ears. Buy a decent pair & save the rest of us.

I agree about the free paper one Natbeuk.
Interestingly, both those thigns are illegal. Getting on, or trying to get on, a train while people are getting off it against the law (byelaw 10) and playing recorded music is also illegal - to the annoyance of any one (byelaw 7)
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

interesting, well that's news to me.

The key question is though when was the last time anyone was actually prosecuted under those by-laws? I've never heard of anyone been thrown off for playing music, ever.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Ronski wrote:interesting, well that's news to me.

The key question is though when was the last time anyone was actually prosecuted under those by-laws? I've never heard of anyone been thrown off for playing music, ever.
quite often actually. Or, rather, its quite often that people are told off under the byelaws and/or removed from the train/station.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Rather more alarming than passengers being slow and having noisy i-pods is news that you could be catching something rather unpleasant from them:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7667499.stm

Yuck!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

By the time I get on either the 0729 or the 0740, I always seem to have missed the buffet.....

Coming back is better - you can see all the Sydenhamites getting on the carriage 2 from the front (second door) so they can be through the barriers before the masses.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I tend to get the 6.25 home. The spot you mention (carriage 2 second door) was always best 'pre-barriers' as you were directly opposite the gate which was open by the time you pulled in.

I did used to get the 6.18 but soon realised that this service was a) busier b) took longer and of course c) stopped more often. In short although the 6.25 left later you'd actually pull into Sydenham at the same time as the 6.18 as the first stop was Forest Hill.

Anyway, the point is that on the 6.18 all the Honor Oak people sat on the very front carriage, Brockley people 3rd from the rear and Forest Hill people 1st/2nd from the rear with, yes, us Sydders types on the 2nd front carriage.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person to notice this slightly funny phenomenon.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I usually get the 1825 too, even if I'm in plenty of time for the 1818.

As you say, it only gets into Sydenham about a minute after the 1818 anyway. Plus, in the summer it has the air con on.

Pet hates include people standing up in the morning, as soon as London Bridge comes into sight. At least have the decency to let the poor buggers who have had to stand up, get off first. Why on earth these people are so keen to get to work confounds me.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I'm the same. Even if I get to London Bridge at about normal time (6.10) I sit on the 6.25. It's just so much more 'pleasant' than the 6.18, for a variety of reasons, only some of which I've mentioned. We must have sat near to or even next to each other many times down the years.

I would have thought the 6.18 would have the aircon blasting also? They're both Electostar class 377s, after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_377
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I thought the 1818 was one of the old ones, where turning on the air conditioning equates to opening the windows.

I like the fact that most people wait on the concourse for the train to be announced before they actually go to the relevant platform (despite it being the same every night). Priceless.