Knife crime in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Knife crime in Sydenham

Post by Rachael »

*sigh* I wasn't really making a point about liberalism, Tim, but good business practice when using a public forum.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree should be allowed free speech.
Maybe gain more business than they lose. Who is to say.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rshdunlop wrote:*sigh* I wasn't really making a point about liberalism, Tim, but good business practice when using a public forum.
Sorry to make you *sigh* - but do you really think this is true? On balance I'd have thought there was more upside to be got from such a posting increasing awareness of the business than downside from pursed-lipped soi-disant liberal boycotts. If I think about my own pursed-lipped liberalism, I've long avoided doing anything to make Rupert Murdoch richer, and I've put stuff back on a shelf in shop when I saw it was made in Burma. Are other liberals so much more disapproving, do you think?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

What I think is that it is odd to see those sort of comments posted under the name of an organisation (in this case a business) rather than an individual.

It may well be that 140Interiors is a one man/woman operation. But if, say, they have people working for them, do we assume that these opinions are shared by all of them?

It is not the shop that has these opinions, but the person who has registered under the name of the shop.

My comment about liberals boycotting them was lighthearted and not the point of my post at all. Hence my *sigh*.
michael

Post by michael »

140Interiors wrote:Or send them to some Pacific island where they are hunted by cannibals.
I guess it is only rshdunlop who sees this as reinforcing a completely outdated stereotype of the peoples of the Pacific. Boris got into trouble, and apologised, for just such a stereotypical statement prior to becoming mayor.
Tim Lund wrote: On balance I'd have thought there was more upside to be got from such a posting increasing awareness of the business ...
Well that's okay then. Nothing wrong with outdated stereotypes if they increase awareness of local businesses. *sigh*
Annie

Post by Annie »

For goodness sake,all the rubish spouted,KNIFE CRIME IN SYDENHAM is the subject,chuck anyone caught with a knife if used or unused into prison with hard labour! :D :D

Nothing ever gets done with just talk action is needed.
I don't want to hear about poor little johnny not being able to afford the latest trainers because of his life story. :x
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Annie, but have you considered the human rights of the low life ? I expect some of the Liberals would suggest paying for them to have a holiday in the Costa Plonker.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Well said Annie, but have you considered the human rights of the low life ? I expect some of the Liberals would suggest paying for them to have a holiday in the Costa Plonker.
Have they considered mine?----------Whats that you say? NO!---------- well theres my answer! :evil:
If the libral luvvies want to pay for them then let them feel free.
140Interiors

Post by 140Interiors »

Sorry for opening my mouth before my brain woke up. I hate the thought of knife crime, especially as my son was a victim, stabbed 5 times waiting for a bus. Perhaps I am still angry with the leniency shown by our courts. Sad life if I have to voice an opinion via an alias.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sorry to hear about your son.

No one is asking you to use an alias or not express your opinions.

As it seems to be impossible to not be misunderstood on this thread this will be my last post.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
You do have a valid point. Life has to carry on.
However we cannot sweep these matters under the carpet. Many people are concerned.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I was just looking at the MPA performance report - http://www.mpa.gov.uk/committees/sop/2011/1013/07/ dated 13 October and year to date info is:
The Knife Crime category has shown an increase of 15.7% (892 offences, from 5,690 to 6,582). The SD rate is 22.4%. It is mainly comprised of robbery offences (65%) and assaults (31%). Threats using a knife and intimated knife offences are up 22% and 35% respectively, while knife crimes where a knife is used to injure are down 3%.

Serious Youth Violence (SYV) has increased by 11.2% (from 3,053 to 3,394 offences, +341). SYV is mainly comprised of robbery (64%) and GBH (26%). The robbery element is rising and the GBH falling. There have been seven youth homicides FY to 14th August 11 compared with ten in the same period last FY.

So yes there is an increase in knife crime in London and what I think we need are more police to work on the strategic outcome as stated "Reduce crime and catch criminals; be intolerant of violence" - basically the message to Boris is cut crime not police.

Meanwhile residents need to be out and about on our streets, walk purposefully and generally be aware of the environment.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Eagle wrote: The Government are at last getting tough with invaders in ones house and now the invader can be killed which is certainly good news.
I am sure that you realise that despite the hot air from the government there has been no change in the law.
It has always been the case that reasonable force can be used in self defence, which may include the killing of the attacker if necessary.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It does seem the CPS are taking a different stand after Mr Clarke's speech.

There have been 3 or 4 incidents I have heard of and all have not been charged.
fanillier

Post by fanillier »

No offence jamlau but why didn't you offer the boy his cab fare? He could've then accessed his cash at a safer time and repaid you. It just doesn't make sense to be an attractive target for these thugs. There really is no stopping them but doesn't mean we should make it easy for them.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

That is giving into the vermin. The Queen's Highway should be safe for all.
fanillier

Post by fanillier »

I just think there are ways to avoid being an easy target as much as possible.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Just remember you are no more (or less) likely to be a victim of knife crime than you were before you read this thread.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Chris Best wrote:Meanwhile residents need to be out and about on our streets, walk purposefully and generally be aware of the environment.
I feel I can still enjoy walking round Sydenham not only purposefully, but in a calm relaxed manner too. I'll comment more on what Chris writes under "Lewisham Comms".
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm inclined to agree with fanillier in that it's one thing to walk around as a proud citizen and another to be what's effectively a sitting duck if just having visited a cash machine late at night. I've seen someone whose purse was nicked and run off with when they'd seen money withdrawn in the post office during daylight so I'm sure thugs could follow someone to a quiet spot, even if it wasn't just opportunistic crime that the guy "might have something worth nicking".

I go out at night but do try to look like someone who isn't worth bothering with. (I was mugged in daylight when they obviously thought I was so I've changed my persona now.) So far so good...

Edit PS to Tim Lund: I think you feel differently once it's happened to you (and my son three times here and in the so-called gentrified areas) - well I do but don't want to give in. I must stress that none were knife related, thank goodness. No idea how one would combat that. On one occasion, my son said he dropped to the ground and played dead before they beat him up any more. Much quicker thinking than I'd have had, but I know now :)