Threads wandering off-topic

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Tim Lund

Re: Threads wandering off-topic

Post by Tim Lund »

michael wrote:I don't really like the way you talk about my friend. He's a little on the large size, but that really isn't his fault. I'm not aware of him ever having eaten at KFC, if you have evidence to the contrary fine, but I think this is another one of your clams [sic] that have no substance.
:oops: Sorry I edited it before I saw you had picked up this typo.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I think the problem with the KFC thread was that it was cunningly infiltrated by a troll with subversive intent, and that many of us (I fear I may have been the first) were taken in and set off in hot pursuit down a blind alley. This is not the first time this has happened on this forum.

Being naturally a rather controlling and obsessive sort of person, I have often been tempted to take the initiative and split a thread myself when it has gone off-topic into what seemed to me a more interesting area, i.e to copy one or more of the errant posts, paste them into a new thread with a title chosen by me, and hope others would follow my lead. But I've never actually dared to do this, for fear of occurring scorn and obloquy for a breach of forum etiquette by appearing to set myself up as some sort of rival to our esteemed Admin. Are there in fact any generally accepted conventions about this?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robin, my main interest is getting rid of spam (99% of my time) and trying to retrieve threads that have gone well past posting guidelines (1%). I try not to interfere otherwise.

Please PM me if you think a thread is going in different directions and posters would benefit if it was split so they could aim their posts at a single, if moving, target. Otherwise I'm inclined to let a thread goes wherever it wishes.

But if you feel different do as you wish. The test is not me but whether fellow posters follow you.

Admin