New Tesco in Kirkdale?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
boon

Post by boon »

welsh girl wrote:This might even mean I can buy a pint of milk from the Payless without it having gone off in less than a day.
Amen to that. We've stopped even trying to find decent milk anywhere but at a major store.

No opinion on Tesco though - it's out of my range anyway.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

boon wrote:We've stopped even trying to find decent milk anywhere but at a major store.
I know I'm supposed to be impartial but ... this is sad. There are only a handful of folks in our road getting milk from ... the milkman. The loss of one or two more will probably mean the loss of a delivery service that many of us treasure and is very essential for the elderly and infirm.

Please think of supporting your milkman rather than any shop, large or small. Support him or lose him!

Admin
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I didn't even know there was a milkman! I've never seen him around. Any idea how I could find out about times, route, etc Admin?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:cry:
Hate Milkmen!
used to wake me up at 4am!
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

Seem to me that Annie has her tabard washed and ironed in readiness for a job at Tesco :wink:
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
I'm Free!
Gis a job!

Honest ,reliable,and ready for a challenge! :wink:
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Agree with Admin - support the local milkman - use him or lose him!

Dairy Crest delivers to homes in the SE26 area. To contact Dairy Crest phone 0800 615715.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol:

Not only did i support my Milkman Pat!
I Married him :wink:

But then he didnt deliver the milk at 4am! :lol:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

he delivered something else, eh?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

lambchops wrote:he delivered something else, eh?
At 4am?? That's keen....
marymck

Post by marymck »

I know this may sound weird, but I think I'd actually use the Ram store more if there were a Tesco nearby. Currently I mostly go to Mr Patel's to get Travelcards and get my Oyster card topped up - and buy bits and pieces while I'm there.

I don't have a newspaper everyday, though I do buy the local papers there. Mostly the Sunday papers I buy when I'm doing my "big shop" in a big supermarket, once a week ... by car!

If I had a local Tesco Express where I could buy fresh fruit and veg and the stuff I tend to stock up on whenever it's on offer, I'd be more likely to spread this out over the week, in several walking trips, and drop in at Mr Patel's on the way.

I think a lot of people would do this. Particularly if Mr Patel did some spying trips to Tesco Express once it had opened (or to some other brances) and find out what they DON'T stock and feature that heavily.

A couple of planning points:

1. Someone on this thread was asking whether the people who had bought flats would be entitled to financial compensation from the Council. Sadly the answer is no. Planning Laws mean that a nearby development can cause your home to tumble in value and you can't object to it or get compensation for it. (As I know to my personal cost!)

2. Traffic problems ARE a planning consideration. If a loading bay is being created at the cost of parking places, then this is something the Highways Officer should comment on. Similarly the Highways Officer should be consulted by the Local Authority on problems that would be caused to traffic flow of a huge lorry pulling up four times a day.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Does anyone know if we can ask that this branch of Tesco can be restricted from selling certain items?

i.e. Travelcards & Oyster top ups, stamps, pharmacy items (we have a WONDERFUL pharmacy across the road), lottery tickets?
Monica

Post by Monica »

I have to say something about the milkman. I tried, several times, to secure the services of ours (the Thorpes) and he kept saying yes, great, I'll sort it out/drop the forms round/let you know how much it is, all that stuff. After I asked for the fourth time and it came to nothing, I gave up. Business can't be that bad if you can afford to just ignore willing and enthusiastic customers.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

marymck wrote:I think a lot of people would do this. Particularly if Mr Patel did some spying trips to Tesco Express once it had opened (or to some other brances) and find out what they DON'T stock and feature that heavily.
Exactly, me too.

Obviously Tescos would be a big threat to the business of these local shops, but it's an opportunity as well.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Marymck - I think the grounds you raise on planning issues concerning the proposed Tesco store aren't really going to be ones that will result in this application being turned down or altered.

You are quite correct in saying that anyone who had bought a flat above the proposed Tesco would not be entitled to compensation. People move into a flat in a "shopping arcade" which has a retail space underneath. And lo and behold, guess what happens - a retailer moves in! This is hardly grounds for compensation surely?

Delivery issues - every shop in SE26 has deliveries. Costcutter across the road which has virtually the same hours as those proposed for the new Tesco store has deliveries arriving at all hours of the day and night. How can you show that Tesco deliveries are different from other stores in the high street or from many of the other 800 plus Tesco Express stores in the UK?

Restrictions on selling certain goods - I do not believe that you can stop Tesco selling pharmacy goods, stamps or National Lottery tickets. These are sold in all Tesco Express outlets. There are simply no planning grounds from stopping stores selling goods of this kind. Travel and Oystercards are not on sale in Tesco Express outlets and so it unlikely they will be available from the proposed store.

My enthusiasm for this new store is not because I am a fan of Tesco - quite the contrary. I just don't think you can argue restriction of trade in a town centre location just because you are faced with a highly efficient and successful retailer. Every business has to adjust and change to new circumstances and retailers in Kirkdale will have to do the same.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

Firstly, I'm surprised this is suddenly news. When Raj closed his newsagents 3 months ago he cited the arrival of the Tesco as the straw that broke the camel's back in the decision making process.
Secondly, as a resident who lives right in the heart of this part of Kirkdale I am not entirely sure how I feel about this whole issue. I was really sad to lose Raj and his newsagents and I really fear for the Londis shop (I am not a fan of Costcutter) as they do really contribute to the feel of what we like to call Kirkdale village up here. There is a real community here with the local shops, pubs, launderette, dry cleaners, barbers and the fantastic Cafe Jasmine. Everyone knows each other, everyone is made to feel welcome and the shops are the centre and lifeblood of the neighbourhood.
On the other hand a Tesco's would be really convenient and cheap...
Actually writing this I think I have answered my own questions. Give me the village feel any day - but that does not solve the empty retail units issue we have up here......
multisync

Post by multisync »

Lets face it Tesco is a large company and if they want to open they will! and pretty quickly I would imagine.I think people in the area around Kirkdale will continue to use Rams for certain things after all he has been there a long time and has built up a clientel.As for Costcutter it is a filthy shop,so maybe they should clean up there act.Also not everybody has a car and for them a tesco would be convenient.
Changing the subject a little I read on the Forest Hill forum that Sainsbury local in Stanstead Road and Perry Hill are closing although that could be something to do with Shell petrol stations.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Marymck raises the problems that a new Tesco might have for local shops. Of course, the arrival of a Tesco Express, will have an effect on local shops. But we need to be careful not to exaggerate what may happen.

The existing pharmacy across the road, for example, issues prescriptions and has a full range of products. A Tesco Express will have a very much narrower range of products: a choice of two types of toothpaste, three shampoos and a range of headache pills. There is no reason whatsoever that the existing pharmacy should not continue. Look at Sydenham Road - Lidl, Somerfield, Boots, Superdrug and many other shops selling pharmaceutical goods - and yet the two independents still thrive.

Similarily with newspapers and magazines. Somerfield sells a wide range of magazines and newspapers yet Twice as Sweet - a short distance away - is still going strong. Retail price maintenance remains on these items so there is no price advantage in going to Tesco.

Perhaps the arrival of the new Tesco may even improve some local shops. The local Costcutter, for example, could start with a great deal more attention to the cleanliness of its entrance and the interior of the shop. I wouldn't shop there except in extreme circumstances. And yet, at many times of the day, it is virtually the only local outlet for general shopping. The local community deserve better.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Will Tesco bring a free cash machine to the parade, I wonder?

That would actually be quite helpful.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I live in the local area, and have to admit feel pleased TE is coming to the area. I use Rams alot, and will continue to do so for papers, weekend croissants etc, but it doesnt sell fresh veg and fruit, and i have given up buying milk there as it always goes off within a day. Its all about having a choice. The local shops are a good local community asset, but it also needs some beefing up, to make it more pleasant. Costcutters is abit dire, and seems to be getting worse. Have also noticed that a small clothing hire shop has opened up in one of the High Street units...and it could be argued that having TE will help the area as it brings in custom for local shops as well.