Sydenham high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marianne

Sydenham high street

Post by marianne »

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could do this to the high street?

Pics showing E.End shops being tarted up ahead of Olympics. Amazing what a nice shop sign/lick of paint does: http://bit.ly/L83lc4

Marianne
Annie.

Re: Sydenham high street

Post by Annie. »

It all looks so much better, I would like to see Lees "visions" take place all down our highstreet. From top to bottom.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hi Marianne and Annie

You should join this group and help turn ideas into actions. Start by emailing Louise.

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7809

Hopefully see you at the next meeting.

Cheers

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There are various schemes like this all over London Marianne.

The one on the link had a lot of money thrown at it, I'd guess around £30,000 per shop on average.

This was a good one.
http://www.highstreet2012.com/projects/ ... -end-waste

We have been working on them too outside of our work on the What If Sydenham Project, so this one in Hounslow for instance;

Changed to this with traditional awnings and signwritten sign:

We are doing one on Bromley, 7 in Hounslow and Brentford, we designed 20 in Hayes, designed some in Catford and Penge, although these were for proposals only.

It's very difficult to do, there is so much admin, it takes a huge amount of time. My hats off to the people behind the ones in Leyton, especially getting brands to change their signs which is a real battle. Although I feel that brands should pay for their own signs to change and that the money should be used to help independent brands.

The problem with Sydenham is that there are very few original features left at shop level and it costs a lot of money to bring them back. It's a shame that the shop front improvement schemes run by the council before have pretty much ruined the street. But it's possible to make a difference with little money, as with Billings. Awnings make a huge difference to the street and for under £2000 per shop would really improve the look of Sydenham.

As Gman says, join in: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7809
marymck

Post by marymck »

That's nice, Lee. I love the colours, typeface and awnings. Just one point though: I can't actually read the wording in italics underneath the newsagent's name.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Mary,

you can read it if you go there and it's not important anyway, it says 'at Cressy's Corner' and is purely decorative. The awnings are going on at the moment (made by the same company that did Harrods awnings, they are based in Greenwich and have done a few around here), the images above are partly visualised but it looks exactly the same as the picture above. The signwriter did a great job.