Smartening up high street bid

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie.

Re: Smartening up high street bid

Post by Annie. »

Likewise Mary,
I cannot believe how some people think,we were poor compared to now, and I mean poor,cardboard in shoes in the winter poor! Do the young think we lived the high life!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Annie, We used to dream of having cardboard to put in our shoes! :D :D

We had it tough in those days (made me think of this old sketch :lol: ):

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/youtubes]
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

We only had the best cardboard though ;0))

SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

It is the curse of middle/old age to whinge and lament the youth of today, the state of society and "the good old days" when life was both an enormous struggle but significantly better.

There is evidence of every generation falling into this trap from the dawning of the written word. EVEN the python pillocks noticed it 40 years ago. And the humour in that sketch stems from monotonous mind numbing drone of yet another generation complaining about the state of 18 year old's haircuts, you can't tell if it's a girl or boy, you call that music!

I'm off to listen to mike and the mechanics.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Sense of humour seems to have skipped a generation in septic's case.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Brilliant sketch.

Mary, we disagree on antique glass but agree on Python and I suspect we are different generations. Shame some can't see the funny side. Life's too short to be miserable.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Haha,that was funny,sounds just like me!

SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

:-)

I'm a big fan of the pythons. In fact I performed that sketch at the top of snowden circa 1987 as part of the first or second comic relief.

As a long time lurker it seems that the attitudes that they are lampooning are trotted out ad nauseam in a serious manner.... unless I'm really missing the joke.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Say that in plain English and i'll let you know ;0))

Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

SepticSkeptic wrote::-)

I'm a big fan of the pythons. In fact I performed that sketch at the top of snowden circa 1987 as part of the first or second comic relief.

As a long time lurker it seems that the attitudes that they are lampooning are trotted out ad nauseam in a serious manner.... unless I'm really missing the joke.
No, I think you are spot on. It will never change as you say though, part of the human condition.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Are you qualified to be able to say that? What I said about cardboard in my shoes was true,tell me who has to do that these days? In this country.
I am not moaning about " my lot" just pointing out that real poverty was before this generation was born.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I agree. Although not in poverty myself as a child I knew many friends who would today be considered in abject poverty.

It was not then and should never be a laughing matter.

I agree there are probably a few children out there who are in real poverty , but the government figures of the poverty line are a joke. What has poverty got to do with the average income in society. Either poor or not.

Compared with Norway at least 66% of UK populace in poverty . Compared with Niger no body in poverty in UK .

Having a phone , TV , new trainers , car etc are NOT essentials.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Annie. wrote:Are you qualified to be able to say that? What I said about cardboard in my shoes was true,tell me who has to do that these days? In this country.
I am not moaning about " my lot" just pointing out that real poverty was before this generation was born.

Annie, you have as much right to moan, laugh, shout as anyone else. As you say you are just
pointing out some truths about your own life experience. Doesn't make any of us right or
wrong by anothers standards or views. We won't change the world either but isn't it great
that we have internet, this website, etc to allow us to express our feelings. It is so easy at
times to take all this for granted.

I'm glad we can joke about life in whatever form that may take.. It helps us deal with lifes struggles and a changing world! :lol: :lol: :D

Eagle, as you say there are countries (many of them) a lot worse off than us. Any side can
be argued / debated when we have so many countries to choose a camparison from!
Eg: They have it much better - or - They've got it much worse! :wink:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I feel so blessed compared to others that have it worse.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Quite correct.

Not sure what this has all got to do with The High Street though but interesting. When they refer to children in poverty , they should mean REAL poverty are in my previous post.

Those in real poverty should be assisted.
Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

If you'd been there on the night of the public vote, you'd see how flawed the process was. It boiled down to whichever group had the most supporters on the night got the funding. The youth groups turned out in force and voted for their own projects. While it was democratic to a point, the people who turned up hardly reflected the whole make up of the community. The organisers should have seen this coming so that all interests were fairly assessed on merit.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's the way of every assembly though. If people don't turn up, they can't vote and none have really been a cross section of the local community. At least at this one there were more young people there. Democracy isn't perfect. If it was then the 'X factor' or 'this country has got talent' would produce genuine long lasting stars every year.
sisterofwookie

Post by sisterofwookie »

Kirkdale Village - Green Fingers team looking for some help....

Dear gardening volunteers

Calling all those Green Fingered among us, we need help to get the new giant planters for Kirkdale planted. Alison a lovely local volunteer is co-ordinating volunteers.

Message from Alison….

If possible we would like to turn the day of planting into a celebration for local people, so that it becomes fun and memorable as well as being work and time given.

The plans for the planters have been designed by local garden designer Lumen.

The jobs we need to get done before end August 2012 are as follows:

1. Source plants and planting medium soil/compost - we could approach Glendale, Lewisham council parks company re soil/compost to see if they'll donate as is a small amount.

2. Cost plants + soil/compost

3. Order plants + soil/compost

4. Co-ordinate delivery to Wooster & Stock yard behind the Woodman building

5. Agree on a planting day

6. Turn up on agreed day: move the 2 planters into place, fill with soil/compost, plant up, water. We are hoping to make an event of this with street food and drink as well as entertainment.

7. Clear up street after planting

8. Agree on a maintenance/watering timetable, possibly a rota if there are enough of us to do, eg one visit a week for 2 week period each - we can discuss maintenance needs when we meet.

Your availability and what you can give

Could you let me know if you are still interested, and what you would be interested in doing from above. There are no rules, whatever time and expertise you can give is most welcome.

Planting day

The sooner we can find a day with as many of us present as possible, the better. Please send me your dates in August as soon as you can:

Mine are: August 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

It's going to be an exciting day, it could be entertaining, and it will have a fantastic impact on the street + locality.

Looking forward to hearing from you all. Ask friends and family if they want to join in too on the day.

PM if you can help out -

As part of the day perhaps we can weed the street too! a community weeding day - with Pimms and BBQ???

Let me know is you can help and I will forward on your details to Alison.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Is there anything that can be done to get shops like this disgrace up in the triangle to spend some money making themsleves presentable?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82342828@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82342828@N ... hotostream
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Some councils have got a visual merchandising company to help shops out like this.

We got a shop in Hounslow to take all the junk out of their windows. I don't know why they do it. It's actually very difficult trying to engage with some shops. Some get it, some don't.