Girton Road Car Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Re: Girton Road Car Park

Post by Nigel »

Without wishing to inflame, incite or encourage name calling , may I ask , have these people, of whatever persuasion they may be , moved away yet ?
Good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Lewisham Comms

Post by Lewisham Comms »

Seven caravans are currently sited illegally at Girton Road car park.

On 23 October Lewisham Council issued the occupants with an order to give notice that they are trespassing and need to leave the site immediately. If they don’t we will need to proceed with legal action to evict them.

In the meantime, we will continue to monitor the situation closely.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks for the update - I hope for everyone's sake they are removed very quickly .
Good morning
Nigel

stuart

Post by stuart »

I went and had a look today. There are about a dozen modern caravans parked neatly around the edge of the overflow car park. Cars were still able to park in the centre and along one side so there appeared to be no loss of amenity (presuming you think car parking space is more important than living space).

There was a little litter but not a lot and it could just have been blown from anywhere. The caravanners had, I feel, made some effort to be tidy. Which is why I think some of the derogatory comments earlier in this thread are scandalous.

There is a problem of not enough official pitches. Until there is this illegal pitching is just another homeless burden we suffer. IMHO it would be better to approach this situation in a more positive way. The problem of pitches is largely a nimby one. Prejudice on our side is no help. Like all communities there are some members who are a social burden and the whole community gets tarred with their issues. This, I suggest, is an issue you should go look for yourself with an open mind. Go talk to them if you are brave and form an honest and objective view on this group and quite how hard we want to treat them.

Stuart

Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

Update of of 24 October 8.30pm: there are nine caravans and their laundry is scattered all over the railings.
claharper

Post by claharper »

The ghetto blasters have arrived, music pumping from the travellers camp. They appear to be getting bolder by the day! Any updates from the council?

Lewisham Comms

Post by Lewisham Comms »

We will be making another visit to the site today.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Stuart - Well said. A brave and sensible post which will no doubt be either utterly ignored or have scorn heaped upon it.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

hairybuddha wrote:Stuart - Well said. A brave and sensible post which will no doubt be either utterly ignored or have scorn heaped upon it.
People do have the right to be concerned HB, lets face it not all experiences from traveller sites have been good
ones. I have cleared a site after travellors vacated so do have some (even if limited) experience. Stuart makes
some good points (re: Homelessness) and the need for legal sites to be looked at. I am not condemning them
personally, or heaping on the scorn, but can understand why locals would have concerns, as I would!
Only time will tell and let's hope that this doesn't become a bad experience for the surrounding community, if that
is the case then maybe local people will see things differently.

Live and let live has to work from both sides! I've yet to take a side!
Last edited by 14BradfordRoad on 25 Oct 2013 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

14BradfordRoad wrote:People do have the right to be concerned HB
I didn't say otherwise.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

hairybuddha wrote:
14BradfordRoad wrote:People do have the right to be concerned HB
I didn't say otherwise.
Not the same as being Scornfull though, is it?
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Correct - Expressing concern is not necessarily the same as being scornful. Are we done here?
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

hairybuddha wrote:Correct - Expressing concern is not necessarily the same as being scornful. Are we done here?
I should have expected your normal sarcastic, perhaps even scornfull, reply HB. :shock:
Yes, I am done with you as there is little point discussing further.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

14Bradford , I agree with you , I was going to say that very respectfully disagree with many of Stuart's points but welcome another view .
What I do resent is HBs inane obsession with putting people into categories .
I too am concerned , have no wish to demonise those people in the caravans but they are breaking the law and I would like them gone .
A very good afternoon
Nigel

parklife

Post by parklife »

I hope that just as we can respect their choosen way of life, they can respect ours and leave the car park clean and tidy as they found it when they leave
stuart

Post by stuart »

Nigel wrote:I too am concerned , have no wish to demonise those people in the caravans but they are breaking the law and I would like them gone.
Where to?
Would that make them legal?

Stuart
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Nigel wrote:What I do resent is HBs inane obsession with putting people into categories .
Indeed - I'm still unsure whether to file you under "pompous arse" or "silly man". Perhaps some cross referencing is in order.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Stuart
I will be brutally honest and say I don't know or care .
Realistically there are very many types of people in various situations and predicaments that I care passionately about . This group genuinely does not come near the top and I resent precious resources being used to monitor , tidy up or evict them . I bear them no ill will but I would prefer resources to be spent so many other things which I consider priorities for this country .

HB - are you not shocked at how easily you can be programmed to use schoolboy language ?
You have personally attacked so many people on this forum. I think you should accept our limitations and my sympathy and try to behave like an adult

Good afternoon
Nigel

Lewisham Comms

Post by Lewisham Comms »

During our visit to the site today, the travellers told us they intended to leave over the weekend. We have been clear with them that they are trespassing and, if they don’t leave the site, then we will start court proceedings for their eviction.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well said Nigel.