NO TRAINS THIS WEEKEND

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

NO TRAINS THIS WEEKEND

Post by admin »

No Southern, No Overground. There is a bus. This is getting monotonous.

Admin
Rachael

Re: NO TRAINS THIS WEEKEND

Post by Rachael »

There is lots of heavy duty gear in the car park behind the station at Forest Hill - diggers, etc - all fenced off and ready for the weekend's work. Platform extension at a guess, as we are going to be getting longer trains.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

There are trains at Lower Sydenham today

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
dogkennel

Post by dogkennel »

There's also southeastern trains from sydenham hill and penge east. And some southern trains from gipsy hill and crystal palace.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Could it be for the new footbridge replacing the one between Sydenham Park and the German Church, Dacres Road, due to be installed this autumn? It's already two years overdue but was promised for October 2013.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Do you mean they are replacing the famous German Bridge. Used the old bridge for decades and really useful.

Did not appreciate it was falling down.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The Bridge is due for replacement and has been since 2011. Recent information was that this would happen in October and the all rail lines under the railway bridge would need to close while the work was done.

It has not been done this weekend so we will have at least one more weekend of rail closure to look forward to when this happens - apart from any other engineering work in the pipeline.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Pat

I know some people call it the wooden bridge but most born and bred call it The German Bridge.

Maybe should rechristen it The Dietrich Bonnhoffer Brucke ?????
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote: I know some people call it the wooden bridge but most born and bred call it The German Bridge.
As a lad going to and from Forest hill boys/Dacres road boys School I used this bridge on a daily basis,
to and from School. We knew it as 'The German Bridge'. It's wooden on the surface but built on a steel
framework (Girders) as I recall! Are they replacing it?
The history of this bridge might well be interesting to some in the 'Town museum and gallery' as well?

Although I suppose that there's no weekend that would be convenient not to have trains available, this
weekend in particular, may have been awkward for anyone travelling to remembrance services.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Bradford I agree.

I have known the bridge since the early 50's but unsure how long it has been there.

Was it there when the railway constructed in the 1830's ish , or was it even crossing the canal before hand.

I would imagine the current bridge was probably built in C20th , but do not know.

Such a big diversion to the next crossing in either direction.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Actually, if they're doing strengthening work on Goat House Bridge (just before Norwood Junction), then that would explain why there aren't any trains running through, most likely. (See separate post re bus service diversions http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10303). If so, then I think it may be 3 weekends running :(