Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by Eagle »

Maybe I am a Philistine , but I quite like the Costa Coffee Taste.

Kente of course is great but room for other good coffee shops .

I love Pubs , but really the olde Greyhound was never loveable in my lifetime.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Maybe I am a Philistine , but I quite like the Costa Coffee Taste.

Kente of course is great but room for other good coffee shops .

So you support another tax avoiding company. :roll:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Eagle wrote:
People said the same of the Dolphin. Many of Antics pubs were pretty horrible before they took them over. Not sure what relevance past owners of pubs are to be honest unless you still try to buy stamps at the Sylvan Post.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Families sat outside enjoying and afternoon drink while their children play in a small play area. Nice music coming from inside in a restored pub filled with different age groups enjoying the space.
From what I've seen the available space is pretty small so a play area doesn't seem feasible to me and it's location doesn't do it any favours, hardly the quietest spot for some al fresco drinking!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Willy wrote:
Families sat outside enjoying and afternoon drink while their children play in a small play area. Nice music coming from inside in a restored pub filled with different age groups enjoying the space.
From what I've seen the available space is pretty small so a play area doesn't seem feasible to me and it's location doesn't do it any favours, hardly the quietest spot for some al fresco drinking!
Neither is the Sylvan Post but people still sit outside it. Or the front of the Dolphin or Golden Lion for that matter, but both all are always used on a sunny day. You'd be surprised when the fence is down the amount of space there is. the previous pub had a few tables outside and none seemed too crowded. You could easily fit a small all in one climbing frame thing to the side too. Or some swings. Nothing major. It was a Sunday evening I walked past and the road was relatively quiet. And it was just a nice thought to make it inclusive.

G-man
harrym

Post by harrym »

I would love it to be a Pizza Express. We would use it loads.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I suspect despite our many conflicting views we can agree on one thing. Get on with the job.

Why is J Dowd or our Councillors not sorting this. I cannot believe the contractor would enjoy adverse publicity that the council could easily put round other councils.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:Everyone I know, aside from Tim wants the Greyhound to be finished and turned into a great pub to rival the Dolphin.
What about the various other people posting here who take a different view? Does that not count as knowing? Maybe I should try to arrange some meetings for you.

Of course, it's not true that I don't want the Greyhound to be finished and turned into a great pub. I would also have wanted England to win the world cup, but, realistically, was prepared for other possible outcomes. By putting it this way, you skew the discussion, and you try to present those who do not share your point of view as being in a minority of one. Thanks, but you know this is not true.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

People I know = people I know.

This means real people, not people posting under an alias on this forum.

You know why I posted that Tim. If the people I know in Sydenham (as opposed to people posting on the forum, added for clarity incase this isn't 100% clear) had been saying to me 'demolish the forum' then I wouldn't have written my response to eagle because it wouldn't have been true.

If you want to introduce me to the purelake supporters who have an opposite view to mine and can't wait to knock it down to let the developers off the hook so we get a better view of sainsburys and the flats behind, then feel free, but I don't see what good it would do.

So I urge you to re-read your post Tim, and perhaps edit it so it doesn't sound like you are saying I'm lying. ;-)

#rebuildthegreyhound
Last edited by leenewham on 25 Sep 2014 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:People I know = people I know.

This means real people, not people posting under an alias on this forum.

You know why I posted that Tim. If the people I know in Sydenham (as opposed to people posting on the forum, added for clarity incase this isn't 100% clear) had been saying to me 'demolish the forum' then I wouldn't have written my response to eagle because it wouldn't have been true.
I don't quite follow this. Did you mean 'demolish the Greyhound', or am I missing something?

People posting on this Forum are for the most part real, as you well know, and if you make the effort, you can meet them in real life, and hear what they really think. Not so easy, however, when they fear being shouted down for not sharing the dominant group think.
leenewham wrote:If you want to introduce me to the purelake supporters who have an opposite view to mine and can't wait to knock it down to let the developers off the hook so we get a better view of sainsburys and the flats behind, then feel free, but I don't see what good it would do.
This is more skewed language - framing those who do not have the same view as you as (1) having an opposite view - not the same thing unless you live in a one dimensional universe, and (2) Purelake supporters, wanting to let them off the hook.
leenewham wrote: So I urge you to re-read your post Tim, and perhaps edit it so it doesn't sound like you are saying I'm lying. ;-)
Lying is far too strong a word. We all of us exaggerate from time to time. :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think my phone has been interpreting my typing in a rather nod vay.

If someone says 'rebuild the pub' and another says 'knock it down' I was always led to believe that they were opposite views.

I believe that the developer wanted to knock down the pub from the outset.

If those views are the same, doesn't that mean that they support one another? If I signed a petition I agree with, then I'd support it wouldn't I?

Anyway, this is pointless, the plan is to rebuild the pub. It has potential to be a great business for Sydenham and an attractive gateway to the high street once it's finished. People like Biscuitman should be applauded for putting their expertise to good use in the local community rather than silly 'you are part of the establishment' playground fingerprinting.

Lets move on shall we?

#rebuildthegreyhound

Anyone fancy a pint?
Last edited by leenewham on 25 Sep 2014 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:I think my phone has been interpreting my typing in a rather nod vay.

If someone says 'rebuild the pub' and another says 'knock it down' I was always led to believe that they were opposite views.

I believe that the developer wanted to knock down the pub from the outset.

If those views are the same, doesn't that mean that they support one another? If I signed a petition I agree with, then I'd support it wouldn't I?

Anyway, this is pointless, the plan is to rebuild the pub. It has potential to be a great business for Sydenham and an attractive gateway to the high street once it's finished. People like Biscuitman should be applauded for putting their expertise to good use in the local community rather than silly 'you are part of the establishment' playground fingerprinting.

Lets move on shall we?

Anyone fancy a pint?
Yes - see you later? 5.00pm?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee
making a brief and no doubt unwelcome return to the forum.
Firstly, I have to commend Biscuitman for his consistently helpful and informative posts. I know Tim likes to undermine arguments with his very obviously superior processing power, but his psychobabble (multi-point combination boiler thinking or whatever it was) , his rather distasteful " you are the establishment " angle, and his irrelevant anti-drinking twaddle really doesn't progress the debate.

My laughably simple strategy is to hang on for the pub that was promised to be built and no amount of pizza houses or inferior chain coffee shops will interest me.

My second point is that the mural looks fantastic - it does make you wonder about PureFlake's project management and sequencing to have put it up at this time but I am really glad to see it up there . Those conniving sheysters will rebuild the pub soon and I would hope that we can have some kind of proper unveiling event to acknowledge your sterling work .
A very good evening
Nigel.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Welcome back Nigel. Wise words.

I've always loved your sensible well thought out posts. Stay a while won't you?

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

A welcome return Nigel, thank you and a very good evening to you too.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Nigel, a welcome common sense post, I too think it should be what it was promised to be.

No compromise.

:D
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Hi all, had some spare time and thought these might help with the discussions...

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Great stuff tubby, great visuals. It shows how great the greyhound could look when it's finished.

#rebuildthegreyhound
Last edited by leenewham on 25 Sep 2014 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
biscuitman1978

Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I agree - these are superb visuals. Thanks, Tubby.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Great visuals...agree.
Whatever we have needs to be commercially viable, and something that increases trade, footfall, repeat business, and interest for not only the locals but visitors to Sydenham...
In order for Sydenham to survive we need an influx of money from outside - people travel to Beckenham but not here in any great numbers.
Some may not want Chains but they bring in the footfall which then provides visitors to support the small independents. A mix and match js healthy.

Ps. Don't think a play area (climbing frame!?) outside is a good idea.
Hard paving (even if rubberised), alcohol, glasses, and busy road in close proximity (with no fencing between young ones and cars) do not mix